User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #1546
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,712
remove gpx after loading?

Loving this app! I loaded a gpx file from my gmail and I cant figure out how to unload it... anyone know?

Im runninga samsung 7 inch tab 2.0 and like it so far!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #1547
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,712
tile cache?

So.... if I use my tablet to cache a big area to disk, could I copy the osmand folder to another device and have it work correctly if I point the new device to that directory?

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #1548
k1322
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
So how does this compare to ViewRanger? Anyone tested both?
k1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1549
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
How to add Map Points to track

Can someone please point me to the posting or vid that explains how to add map points to an existing track that I have uploaded to site? I need to increase the res of the track and can't discover where that feature is in editing tools. thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #1550
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Can someone please point me to the posting or vid that explains how to add map points to an existing track that I have uploaded to site? I need to increase the res of the track and can't discover where that feature is in editing tools. thanks
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1551
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks

what do you make of this? I was referring to the additional map types to view in field when I said "so much more." If the base maps do not get updated, I don't know if that affects the functionality for me anyway. But curious as to know if so. thanks
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860415&page=6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH
As far as being any better than "the free OSMand that is is coded from," wouldn't it have to be, by the simple fact that it is so much more than just that?

worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH
As far as being any better than "the free OSMand that is is coded from," wouldn't it have to be, by the simple fact that it is so much more than just that?

OSMand has been evolving over time with a lot of nice features. It has gotten easier to use and the rendering engine can be set to produce maps that are higher contrast. As far as I know, DSM is a branch of an old version of OSMand.
And if that is so, the new version uses maps that are in a different format. It appears the old format OSM maps are no longer updated. So DSM may not get updated OSM maps.
Unless I missed something.

StuInFH screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 11:22 AM
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #1552
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,245
I do not use DSM on the road. I use it off road. On road, you can use Google Navigator. Offroad, I use the rendered maps for a basemap as those do not change frequently and I do all my planning on the website and then pull the website map to my phone. It is therefore as updated as I want it. You can also link in raster maps from all the usual suspects and those are updated.

The value of DSM is the integration with the website and it's resources. If you aren't using it then skip it. If you are using the website, then you would be crazy to not use the app.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #1553
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I do not use DSM on the road. I use it off road. .
Yes, same here. And if the base map was to be updated, I would ask for the option to not accept it. I am amazed that some obscure (and great) trails show up in my area on the base map and I find that very useful. In CA, any "updating" to these offroad areas/trails would be the removal of these trails, my guess, judging by what the forest circus has been busy doing around here. So no thanks.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #1554
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
That is a listing of ALL vids. I've spent more time than I care to admit trying to discover how to add/increase track points to an existing track. It doesn't appear to be as easy as adding Waypoints, which IS easy to find in the Adding Waypoints vid. Does anyone have time to give me a better clue? thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #1555
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 557
DSM is the best thing since sliced bread for dual sport use but I am having an issue with my charging setup when on the bike. I use a ram X mount on the handlebars and like to leave it plugged in to the charger at all times.

The problem is the small USB port seems to chew up OEM chargers at the connection. The phone side is never effected but the charger side stops working after a few days of trail riding and has to be replaced.

I have secured the charger cable near the connection to minimize the movement but it still doesn't last more than a week of riding.

Any suggestions?

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #1556
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
DSM is the best thing since sliced bread for dual sport use but I am having an issue with my charging setup when on the bike. I use a ram X mount on the handlebars and like to leave it plugged in to the charger at all times.

The problem is the small USB port seems to chew up OEM chargers at the connection. The phone side is never effected but the charger side stops working after a few days of trail riding and has to be replaced.

I have secured the charger cable near the connection to minimize the movement but it still doesn't last more than a week of riding.

Any suggestions?
Hey Arny!! What charger are you using, or what USB outlet. I'm using the BurnsMoto and it hasn't failed me yet.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #1557
Rigalo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Have the same problem and also tried to secure the cable. However, I've been looking at some 'cradle' for the phone where it kinda 'clamps' the phone with a charging socket fixed onto the cradle. Just a thought.
Rigalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #1558
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Does the cable break or do you think it's the charger's electronics? I'm using a cheap USB charger for a cigarette lighter plug that I hacked to wire in to the battery, then use a 6ft micro usb cable to go to the phone. No problems yet with about 6k on this setup.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #1559
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
charging socket fixed onto the cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigalo View Post
Have the same problem and also tried to secure the cable. However, I've been looking at some 'cradle' for the phone where it kinda 'clamps' the phone with a charging socket fixed onto the cradle. Just a thought.
Me too. If you find one, please share it here.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #1560
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Check out cases sold by Ultimate Addons. They are waterproof and the case captures their charger plug when in use. I bought the EU version for my Galaxy S2 and it works perfectly.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote