User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
California Riders: Lane Splitting Stickers

I feel a bit odd posting this in vendors - because I'm just a dude with a website and some stickers, but anyway...

I launched LaneSplittingIsLegal.com in January in response to the newly published CHP guidelines. My original idea was that stickers with the URL would "tell the story" that lane splitting is legal in California, even if people who saw the stickers never went to the site. I envisioned California roads blanketed with riders sporting stickers on their topcases/sidecases/helmets/whatever.

The magnificent folks at CityBike said they'd distribute stickers to all the shops they deliver their awesome mag to. So I did a run of several thousand stickers and they went out with the March issue, which had a cover story on splitting. There may still be some free stickers at Bay Area shops - if you're in the area, check the map here for locations. Huge thanks to CityBike for this.

I've been weighing in on threads about splitting, like this one and this one, and of course running my mouth over on BARF.

Want to help out?
Response thus far has been great and lots of folks have asked how they can help. Here's a few things:

1. Get a sticker and put it on your bike(s)
If you aren't in the Bay Area where there are lots of free stickers floating around at shops and meets, you can order stickers on the site here. The 4x3 sticker is the same stickers being distributed by CityBike, in stock at LaneSplittingIsLegal HQ (my house) in Oakland. They're high quality vinyl with a UV coating so they'll last, they're just $3, they ship for free, and I'll send 'em out right away. All sticker money goes back into the project - supporting the hosting costs and defraying the cost of the initial sticker run. Bonus: add your ADV rider username to the comment box and I'll throw some extra stickies in your envelope so you can share. Or just have more stickers for yourself.

2. Spread the word - post the link on forums, tell your fellow riders, friends, enemies, the media and anyone who'll listen. We all run into folks who say "Why do you do that - it's crazy!?" If you think the site contains a worthy answer to that, tell folks to check it out.

3. Like the Facebook page - just another way of spreading the word.

4. If you're in a club/group/whatever and think your members would be into it, I'll happily show up at a meet and bring stickers - just let me know. If you're not nearby or I can't make it, I'll send you some - or feel free to just order a few.

5. If you have some lane splitting information to share, contact me through the site or message me here. I'm working hard to stay on top of new developments but I'm happy to hear tips from y'all. This goes for feedback/"the site should have this"/and so on too.

6. Most importantly - be cool on the road. I have a uneasy relationship with the idea of "being a good ambassador" because I really think my riding is my business and dammit, I'll do what I want… but that fact is, we need to counteract the impression folks get from a few donkeys out there who are riding like asses and ruining it for the rest of us - as in everyone on the road. Take it easy, ride safe and be cool. The vast majority of the time (in 25 years of splittin' lanes) I've seen a very small numbers of intentional attacks/blocking by drivers. They're mostly just not paying attention and while that sucks, kicking off their mirror won't make things better.

I know, TL;DR... so in summary, thanks for the support from everyone so far, get your lane splitting stickers at LaneSplittingIsLegal.com, more good stuff to come.

Cheers,
Surj

These are the stickers. Go get yours!

SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
If only this catches on in other congested large cities in north america.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,095
Nice! I will plan on ordering a few. Any plans on offering a sticker in the diamond shape like you have on your homepage?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
This is great. How about a companion site/stickers, lanesplittingshouldbelegal.com for those of us in lame states?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
This is great. How about a companion site/stickers, lanesplittingshouldbelegal.com for those of us in lame states?
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Plus a site/stickers for lame Provinces too .

John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Plus a site/stickers for lame Provinces too .

John
Haha. Working on it - stay tuned.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Davethestick
Registered Rider

Oddometer: 72

Way cool!
Davethestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Very cool!
I'll be ordering some just because it's easier than trying to find em in the stores.

I too prefer the diamond but since you already printed these, I'll go with em.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Very cool!
I'll be ordering some just because it's easier than trying to find em in the stores.

I too prefer the diamond but since you already printed these, I'll go with em.
Thanks to you and Tedder for ordering stickers. They're on their way!

We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awesome! I will definitely pick up and/or order some stickers. Thanks for putting in the effort to promote this worthy cause .
SOMA Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,095
[/Quote]We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.[/QUOTE]

OK, in the meantime I just ordered 3.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

We're getting lots of requests for the diamond version - that'll probably be in the works soon.[/QUOTE]

OK, in the meantime I just ordered 3.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - thanks! They'll go out tonight.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Whitehorse Gear
Moto Outfitters

Oddometer: 44
Lane Splitting. Why not in every state and province?

Keep up the great work!

In case anyone hasn't yet seen it, the folks at RideApart have made a compelling case for lane splitting in this very well-produced video. We recently watched this for the first time and thought it was fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9...layer_embedded
Whitehorse Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
SF_Hooligan OP
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehorse Gear View Post
Keep up the great work!

In case anyone hasn't yet seen it, the folks at RideApart have made a compelling case for lane splitting in this very well-produced video. We recently watched this for the first time and thought it was fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9...layer_embedded
Thanks!

That's a good video - been making the rounds for a bit now. I'm actually working on a video project for the site with a couple of other BARFers - probably split the videos into driver-oriented PSAs and rider-oriented how-to type stuff. We're just in the storyboard phase right now but probably will start shooting some test footage soon.