ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 374
Talking President's Day mini ride report

I thought I 'd share a mini ride report for my President's day "Adventure". I'll be the first to admit, it's a stretch to call this an adventure, since I was never far from warmth and safety and I only used one tank of gas. I did leave the house with no idea where I was going, however. I easily could have ridden all the way around the world had I been in the mood .

Since I only had one day off from work, and my Kamaz equipped film crew had called in sick, I decided around the world wasn't a good choice. I did make good use of a work/wife/kids free day and did some exploring. I wanted to get into some dirt, but didn't find much. I'm new to the Pacific North Wet and don't really know what's around my hood. Since I was by myself and didn't want to end up flagging down strangers with pickup trucks, I mostly stuck to the pavements. I did find a couple of gravel roads, but most were a dead end or didn't really go anywhere. I should work on enlisting more PNW FFrs to ride with up here!

After a couple minutes scratching my head over Google maps, I took off with no destination and a full tank of gas. I started with a toot down Chuckanut Drive, then went East to Anacortes. Since I was interested in riding my moto, and not a ferry, I followed the coast south through Deception Pass to Whidbey Island.

Just after passing Oak Harbor I had a panic, thinking I had left my wallet at home. Again, kind of stretching the whole adventure thing here, since that was probably the most exciting moment of the trip. Turned out to be a false alarm, but stopping to check my 907 pockets was a good excuse to have a piss and snap a photo.

I took some detours off the main road looking for the unpaved, but I think Whidbey is too residential for that? I considered heading over to Port Townsend on the ferry, but didn't know how much decent weather I would get, so I decided to not over-commit. Then I ran out of road heading south.

Turns out Whidbey actually is an island... go figure. I took the ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo, and snapped a good photo on the deck:

From Mukilteo I decided to head north again, since I'm pretty sure the coast from Everett to Seattle offers nothing but car dealerships and mini-malls. Wanting to stay on the little roads, I ended up going through Tulalip and taking Marine Dr. all the way to Stanwood. Not a bad stretch. I even stumbled across a nice little fishing spot.

Too bad I don't like fishing.

From Stanwood I continued north, trying to explore the little roads that follow the dikes. When that got boring, I headed to La Conner in search of food. La Conner is an interesting town - if you find antique shops and art galleries interesting. There's a bridge that's nice to look at, so I snapped another picture.

Since I had set my mind to food, I went into La Connor Brewing for snacks. That turned out to be a good move; the IPA roasted chicken wings were great, and La Conner Brewing's pilsner was even better.

To get home I retraced my route through Bay View and Edison, but skipped Chuckanut in favor of Wood road. That's a short bit of dirt that goes around the bottom of Colony Mt. Damn, I love dirt. Nothing like used up Twinduros and some hard packed mud with washboards. It was a nice wake up after a belly full of wings and beer.

All too soon I was home, with slightly more local knowledge, and a lot more motivation to find some routes that are less civilized. Sorry this is a totally boring ride report. I at least ended up with zero freeway miles the whole trip. I've got Death Valley lined up for next month, and TAT for the summer, so hopefully I'll have something better to share next time.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
Hey, at least the write up was entertaining. I liked the part about the fishing spot. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,547
Nice RR. Thanks for sharing
Hey, I'm working down here. - Ed Norton
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Love the colors on the gs. Thanks for the report!
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Love the colors on the gs. Thanks for the report!
All BMW's should be Alpine White. I'd love an Alpine White E46 M3 with a red leather interior to go with my F800GS. Right now I have a plain old white Mazda P5 that looks like someone kicked it down some stairs.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
oldx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Nice ride report and pictures.
oldx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Curtis76
Coug Fan

Oddometer: 67
Welcome to the PNW

At least you got out and rode! Beats working or that honey-do list!!
PM me if you want to get out again - I'd love to do some 'splor'n and a hoppy IPA or two is always a good way to wrap a ride. I'm just south of Everett.
- Curtis (and mine's white too - a little too white right now!!)

`10 F800GS

If your circle stays unbroken... then you're a lucky man. - Ronnie James
Curtis76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
ixab OP
just Aaron, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis76 View Post
At least you got out and rode! Beats working or that honey-do list!!
PM me if you want to get out again - I'd love to do some 'splor'n and a hoppy IPA or two is always a good way to wrap a ride. I'm just south of Everett.
- Curtis (and mine's white too - a little too white right now!!)
Sweet, I'll definitely ping you when I'm planning something. My next ride will be I-5 to SF CA in a couple weeks. I'm heading down for the N00Bs of March ride in Death Valley. I might cut over at 299 and take some of the coast south, but I might just slab it. Anyway, when I'm back I'll be looking to fill the gaps between DV and hitting the TAT this summer, so I'll track you down. We can find some mud to splash on our bike.