Think he means the OEM explorer seat.
ObtuseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #16007
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
My Triumph Experience

I've had my bike since Easter 2011.

My bike has now been in the workshop for one month, waiting on a replacement gear selector shaft which I have apparently bent by changing gear too hard, thus not covered under warranty. Any one know how its possible to bend a gear selector shaft? Although just a hunch I suspect its possibly related to the gear return spring recall.

My front brake discs needed replacing after 30,000km, BEFORE the brake pads needed replacing. Rejected warranty claim because brake discs are considered consumables. Definite manufacturing deficiency.

If anyone is looking to buy a Triumph I would advise against it, despite the fact that it is a fantastic bike. After sales support is lacking. This is a Triumph issue and not a dealer issue. Triumph don't have an adequate supply chain in effect despite the bike having been out for 2 years now. Every part I've orderred from my dealer has taken 3+ weeks to arrive if not immediately in stock.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #16008
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateDunk View Post

My bike has now been in the workshop for one month, waiting on a replacement gear selector shaft which I have apparently bent by changing gear too hard, thus not covered under warranty. Any one know how its possible to bend a gear selector shaft? Although just a hunch I suspect its possibly related to the gear return spring recall.

My front brake discs needed replacing after 30,000km, BEFORE the brake pads needed replacing. Rejected warranty claim because brake discs are considered consumables. Definite manufacturing deficiency.

If anyone is looking to buy a Triumph I would advise against it, despite the fact that it is a fantastic bike. After sales support is lacking. This is a Triumph issue and not a dealer issue. Triumph don't have an adequate supply chain in effect despite the bike having been out for 2 years now. Every part I've orderred from my dealer has taken 3+ weeks to arrive if not immediately in stock.
Sorry to hear that as my view on Triumph is the opposite. I know plenty of people who had discs replaced on warranty here in the UK.
However, in your shoes I would write a letter (remember those) direct to Triumph in England. They may not know what goes on in your country (I'm assuming your're in the US as your profile on here is incomplete).
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #16009
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Sorry to hear that as my view on Triumph is the opposite. I know plenty of people who had discs replaced on warranty here in the UK.
However, in your shoes I would write a letter (remember those) direct to Triumph in England. They may not know what goes on in your country (I'm assuming your're in the US as your profile on here is incomplete).
+1

A good warranty experience starts with a good dealer...

I think he may be Canadian eh! as he talks of KM not, miles.

Good luck to the OP...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #16010
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Guess again, I'm actually English in Australia, so very good at complaining by birth and already have contacted Triumph both Triumph Oz and Uk direct.

My primary concern right now is to get my bike back. It is my only vehicle. So much for putting my faith in Triumph.

All that Triumph Australia can do is provide updates on the location of the parts, which should be here this week.

I'll make sure I post photos and details of the gear selector shaft failure once I get hold of it. I'm a professional engineer and in my opinion internal engine failure is impossible with normal use. The gear lever would brake before internal failure!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 AM   #16011
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
I'm a professional engineer and in my opinion internal engine failure is impossible with normal use.

No offense but, failures are always possible. Hope you get your rig back soon. I agree Triumph seems to be lacking in parts support from what I read but, I've had acceptable results ordering from Bike Bandit even on parts I thought might be very slow to get - always within two weeks.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #16012
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
No offense but, failures are always possible. Hope you get your rig back soon. I agree Triumph seems to be lacking in parts support from what I read but, I've had acceptable results ordering from Bike Bandit even on parts I thought might be very slow to get - always within two weeks.
I agree, failures are possible, which is why warranties exist and why hopefully this will be covered!

Lack of parts supply has also extended to wheel bearings, seals and brake pads.

If only Triumph would list the commercial bearing sizes like KTM do so that I could get hold of them locally before taking them out.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #16013
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
A couple of months ago when it started to get cold here (upper 30's and below will qualify for cold in tucson) I noticed that for several seconds after starting my tiger in the morning I'd get a little clatter noise coming from the engine. Not to be confused with the standard assortment of noises this engine makes. Sound sort of like a valve "ticking" noise. It does not happen when the temps are a little warmer. Just wondering if anyone else notices this in colder temps. My tiger has 13k miles on it and I am using rotella t6 which is a 5-20W synthetic oil fwiw. New or old oil makes no difference relating to the sound.

FWIW, I stumbled across a video someone posted of their triumph making the same nose. Though theirs appears to do it even after warm up. They fixed it with a manual CCT. So yes, as others posted my CCT has an issue and it's probably the spring clip thing being out of place. I'll look at it this weekend once I've got my WR250R back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Sz7VXGxWonY#!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #16014
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:

what was wrong with your brake calipers?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #16015
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
I wonder if any of the aftermarket windscreen makers will consider a "sport" style screen for the Tiger. I'm a fan of the clean air you get with the screen removed. It's just like riding a naked bike, but it looks a little unfinished without the screen on. I was playing around with different angles, and I think a windscreen that is similar to the stock at the bottom, but tapers to just the top of the gauge cluster would be nice. Thoughts?
Just stumbled across this one...
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...umph-tiger-800
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #16016
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Pricey.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #16017
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
I wonder if any of the aftermarket windscreen makers will consider a "sport" style screen for the Tiger. I'm a fan of the clean air you get with the screen removed. It's just like riding a naked bike, but it looks a little unfinished without the screen on. I was playing around with different angles, and I think a windscreen that is similar to the stock at the bottom, but tapers to just the top of the gauge cluster would be nice. Thoughts?
Get the speed triple cowl and screen

Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #16018
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
what was wrong with your brake calipers?
Brake callipers are fine, the disc rivets started to fret, resulting in lots of clanking and would ultimately have led to brake failure. I.e the floating discs floated too much.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #16019
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
FWIW, I stumbled across a video someone posted of their triumph making the same nose. Though theirs appears to do it even after warm up. They fixed it with a manual CCT. So yes, as others posted my CCT has an issue and it's probably the spring clip thing being out of place. I'll look at it this weekend once I've got my WR250R back together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=Sz7VXGxWonY#!
Seems like this is exactly the noise most people have on their 800's.

Wouldn't that be warranty work (if bike is within warranty parameters of course)?

If that is the case, will Triumph accept a manual CCT as an option or replace with same tensioner?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #16020
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Seems like this is exactly the noise most people have on their 800's.

Wouldn't that be warranty work (if bike is within warranty parameters of course)?

If that is the case, will Triumph accept a manual CCT as an option or replace with same tensioner?
Mine primarily does it only on cold starts. When I take it apart soon I'll know if anything is broken or if its just a case of the little spring thing being out of whack. I guess it's easier and quicker for me to look myself rather than have the dealer look at it. Plus, if they don't find anything they think is wrong then I am stuck with a bill and no better off.