ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
chinook1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
New rider in Spokompton

Hi all,

Just got my first bike ('82 CB750k) last summer after 20 years of hand-wringing and a disapproving (ex) wife. Rode through the fall and ended with a great trip to Boise through McCall. I'm literally giddy with getting the old CB out of winter storage. I'm hoping to get in on some group rides or events. My goal is to get a couple years of street riding under my belt be fore jumping to a big dual-sport, so for now, pavement only. I'm pretty serious about perfecting my technique and abilities, so would really appreciate riding with some veterans. I'd like to head down to the Rally in the Gorge in July/August. Any other events or group rides I should keep an eye out for?

Chinook1

aka Jeremy

2013 DL650A "You Break It, You Buy It"- Weld86 skidplate, SVRacing forkbrace
1982 CB750K
chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,602
Hi, Welcome to the fun.

Keep an eye on this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...10051&page=183 It's where we post meetups, rides, chit chat, etc. Post there and say hi to the Spo/Cda group.

For a ride check out the Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley gathering in June. The link to the thread is in my signature line.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook1 View Post
Hi all,

Just got my first bike ('82 CB750k) last summer after 20 years of hand-wringing and a disapproving (ex) wife. Rode through the fall and ended with a great trip to Boise through McCall. I'm literally giddy with getting the old CB out of winter storage. I'm hoping to get in on some group rides or events. My goal is to get a couple years of street riding under my belt before jumping to a big dual-sport, so for now, pavement only. I'm pretty serious about perfecting my technique and abilities, so would really appreciate riding with some veterans. I'd like to head down to the Rally in the Gorge in July/August. Any other events or group rides I should keep an eye out for?
Chinook1aka Jeremy
Jeremy, Get a dualsport bike NOW! Riding on loose surfaces using brakes and throttle is a great teacher for those times when the asphalt is short of traction. There are lots of good used machines out there and the newer 250's are great bikes. (Oh yeah, welcome to the forum and have fun on the ole CB!) my $.02 Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Good pavement will never prepare you for good dirt. Good dirt will always prepare you for pavement (of any kind).
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,603
^^^^ THIS ^^^^ Welcome to the Asylum.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,731
Yup. Dirt is a much more forgiving teacher than asphalt. Also more fun! Find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation or similar course near you, and take it.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Dirt will teach you to be in control when you're out of control. Less traffic to contend with out on the trails and the back forest service roads

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
chinook1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Excellent advice!

Thanks for the advice and the welcome, y'all! I have been considering getting a mid size dual sport, but its all about the Benjamins. I do understand that dirt riding is a great tutorial, and it's what i want to be doing anyway. I may try to find some space in the far corners of my bank account for a little dually. I've taken the MSF course and plan on taking advanced courses soon too. I'll keep an eye out and maybe join the June Wallowas ride.

Thanks!

2013 DL650A "You Break It, You Buy It"- Weld86 skidplate, SVRacing forkbrace
1982 CB750K
chinook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,076
My $.02

Welcome chinook1! I used to have a (free!) late 70's CB550 that I used as a flat-tracker in my woods when growing up. Great family of bikes. I kept that thing running until the headers were beat flat under the engine from rocks. Reason #314 I am lucky to be alive.

If you can find a dirt-cheap old POS dirt bike on Craigslist, pick it up and take it out to Liberty Lake ORV park. It is a great place to learn. Plus, one of the great things about Liberty Lake is that it is all down hill to your truck if your POS CL bike dies. You will learn more about riding in one day on your own than you will in years on pavement. Low-speed balance is something that can never be perfected in normal driving on a street bike, but the skills learned on the dirt can be used any time, anywhere. Just take baby steps, but continue to challenge yourself whenever safe to do so. Good luck out there!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
^^^This, plus I think there are several local inmates that would join you up there and be happy to teach you some technique.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote