Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #31
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Big cc are not my focus, the biggest bike I have owned if the KLR and that is a 650, everything else has been smaller (103, 125 and a 250) so for me cc don't mean nothing. I want this next bike to be able to do 60-70 and have maybe 10-20 mph more, no need for 100 mph, if I wanted that the DL650 can do it and have cruiserish 2 up accommodations (I know I have done it, and I do not even notice the wife back there). And I think the 800-950 are the good balance between small and big. If only there was the nighthawk still been made! that was the bike I wanted!

Damasovi
Comparing cc's doesn't tell you a lot about how much usable power a bike has. A XR650 or DR650 or DL650 or Versys is much different from a V-twin cruiser engine. People I know who have started on mid-size crusiers invariably end up trading for more displacement within a year or 2.

I know you said you prefer to buy new, but given you really don't know how you'll like it, why not save some $ and buy used first to see how it suits you?

The 900cc Vulcan, V-Star 950 or 1100, etc. are cheap and plentiful in the used market, and after few 1000 miles, you'll know more regarding how a cruiser works for you, and what size and characteristics suit best. The big depreciation was the original purchaser's loss, so if you move on, it shouldn't make a big hole in your bank account.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #32
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,508
I've always liked these:

It's a cruiser with a sportbike engine, basically. They actually handle fairly well for a cruiser-type bike, too. It's not a huge touring bike, probably more comparable to a Sportster and other middleweight cruisers. I still wish Honda hadn't killed if off.

They've been out of production since '04 so you can only buy used, but that also means they're not too expensive either.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #33
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
I would look at:
R1200r
Moto guzzi griso
Honda cb1100
I think those bikes will give you what you want from a cruiser but also satisfy you I. Other ways as well.
these bike would also make a great bike, but now we are going in a sector that may be small (in physical size not hp) and it may end up been as much room as in the KLR. I would livo the CB1100 if I do that then I have to considere the FZ6, FZ8, & FZ1 that have good seat areas and a lot more power than I need for my 60-70 mph Sunday's ride 2 up, of course I then can forget the wife and ride faster solo!

Thanks for this input, and I will continue to read and ride (if possible) all the bikes that are available to me,

Cheers

Damasovi
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #34
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
I've always liked these:

It's a cruiser with a sportbike engine, basically. They actually handle fairly well for a cruiser-type bike, too. It's not a huge touring bike, probably more comparable to a Sportster and other middleweight cruisers. I still wish Honda hadn't killed if off.
I think a picture was intended to appear here. what was it Slomo?

Damasovi
Old 02-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #35
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,450
I read the original post and skipped to here...

I have had a V Star 650 (1999). Took it to Sturgis, and rode with my two buddies that had Shadow 750's. All were ok bikes. The v star was not bad on the highway, but after about 70, it was wrapping out pretty good. I did hold it at 85mph for the better part of an entire day (550mi) coming home from "THE RALLLY". Overall, it was a fun bike for around town, and on the shorter trips. If I were going for a cruiser to be on all day, I would get a bigger displacement bike...even with the added weight.

The v Strom (650) was my next bike. I had it from 2004 to this year. Sold it about a month ago It was a great all around bike. I have been on a ride or two with some cruiser guys, and was bored out of my mind trying to ride as slow as them. I have taken it to Colorado, and over 4x4 mountain passes, and then back home on the interstate all day. It could haul two people and light luggage for trips if needed, or even be muscled through wide singletrack. Best all around bike that is out there IMHO. There are nicer bikes for a lot more money, but the cost of a new strom and it's abilities are VERY hard to beat!!

Let's just make sure you have one thing straight.
The Strom is NOT a KLR cruiser! I always felt it was a sport bike crossed with a dirt bike. You will want to go faster and farther than the cruiser guys. You will see a dirt road, and think "what's up there?" and they cruiser guys will be wanting to head to the next bar. I could get on my DL and burn a tank of gas before feeling like I could use a break (220mi), and I didn't need a long break. Any cruiser, I needed a break after 100mi.

If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser. If you want an ADV bike, get the DL. If you want more dirt than street, keep the KLR. If all your friends are riding cruisers, maybe get a cruiser.... It is usually more fun to ride what your friends are riding. (I got a DL and made new friends )

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG

fifthcircle screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:59 AM
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 793
No mention of Victory Motorcycles? They are big, solid bikes but the weight feels nice and low. Used can be found for very reasonable cost.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #37
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRR View Post
No mention of Victory Motorcycles? They are big, solid bikes but the weight feels nice and low. Used can be found for very reasonable cost.

Good point. If I were wanting a cruiser, I would be looking at the Victory line. I like the looks of most of their bikes.

Specifically, the Judge:

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #38
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I read the original post and skipped to here...

I have been on a ride or two with some cruiser guys, and was bored out of my mind trying to ride as slow as them.... Best all around bike that is out there IMHO.

Let's just make sure you have one thing straight.
The Strom is NOT a KLR cruiser! I always felt it was a sport bike crossed with a dirt bike. You will want to go faster and farther than the cruiser guys.
If you want a cruiser, get a cruiser. If you want an ADV bike, get the DL.
Thanks for the input, I should say I love bikes in general, so I am thinking of having something totally different, but I am a cost analysis type of guy, and the smooth no vibes motor of the DL has been calling my name for several years now, life just gets in the way. This bike I have ridden as fast as 120's and two up is no issue (not at that speed, I do not want to do it).

And yes I too have driving and got bored when trying to go as slow as the cruisers specially in the fun twisties or the speed bums they keep slowing to pass... I don't get it! lol!!

I will continue to read guys! thank you

Damasovi
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #39
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Victories and Thriumphs

These two brands I did not include since I had forgotten they existed.

The victories are much bigger bikes and more (a lot more) money brand new, but I have never really look at them since they are (or look) too heavy.

The triumph is something different, all Bonnevilles are worth comparing them here... size, engine and enough mods possible to make it mine. So I will add this ones too to the list!

Damasovi
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
These two brands I did not include since I had forgotten they existed.

The victories are much bigger bikes and more (a lot more) money brand new, but I have never really look at them since they are (or look) too heavy.

The triumph is something different, all Bonnevilles are worth comparing them here... size, engine and enough mods possible to make it mine. So I will add this ones too to the list!

Damasovi

I've got it.

Triumph Scrambler

Might not be a good two up touring machine though.

The quiet buzz of the DL's twin is really nice on a long day! There really is something to be said about riding a quiet smooth bike. There is also something about a less than quiet bike, and smashing it through the gears.

I think you need to make a list of pro's and con's for each bike on what you are going to be doing with it. You will have to compromise somewhere, and you need to figure out exactly where you are willing to compromise. I did this when I got the strom. This time, when I sold my strom, I went the opposite way and bought on lust.

BLOG
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
The wife and I ride a beemer 1200LT when we want to chew up road miles and play on twisty roads.
It's a cast iron b***h in tight spaces so we looked for something for those small town tours.
Stumbled across a showroom new Suzuki C90T for a stupid cheap price and almost no miles.
Can easily be ridden for hours, all kinds of power for two up and luggage, 45 miles per gallon, and unlike the beemer, we don't have to get off and stretch every 2 hours.
I'd recommend a cruiser as viable, enjoyable transport in a heart beat.
Also, go for the shaft drive.......no maintenance to speak of, and my road bikes have been shaft drive since 1972.
Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
I think the Vstar 650 is weak as water. I don't like it much at all for 2 up.

I like:
HD sportster 1200 (or an 883 with some go fast parts)
Honda VTX 1300 , Shadow RS (also weak, but it has personality)

But, I'm a weirdo.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #43
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobie Doobie View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Triumph America/Speedmaster.

I bought one new a couple of years ago for $7500, because it has many of the traits that you desire: not expensive to buy or maintain, fairly low curb weight of 550 pounds, one of the best handling cruisers available, chain drive (if that's considered desirable), 28 inch seat height, much more comfort than my BMW F650, it's not a Harley clone, and it has plenty of chrome!

YMMV

I've had my America since '06 and I've never regretted choosing it. 790cc or 865cc and carbs or fuel injection depending on the year. Its light enough in traffic and is one of the best handling cruisers I've ridden when the road gets twisty. I cruise at 80-85 mph with occasional kicks up to triple digits and it holds it's own.

Oh, and it still feels like a real motorcycle. Wherever you park, crowds will gather.

MiniBike screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 12:22 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #44
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
I posted earlier.....I'll advise it again.....the Shadow RS750 has a more upright seating position ( I have herniated disc(s) L5-S1) quite comfy actually......ultimately, the choice is all yours.....good luck!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #45
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:
I think a picture was intended to appear here. what was it Slomo?

Damasovi
Weird, it showed up on my screen. Anyway, I was talking about the '94-'03 Honda Magna. They had a retuned version of the Interceptor V-4 engine. Pretty nice bikes and you can find them for just a few grand nowadays. Comfort seems to be kind of hit or miss though, from the couple of people I've talked to who've ridden them.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote