User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
chaco OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Raingear

My google fu is not so good. Does anyone have recommendations for rain gear to be put on over riding leathers? Thanks!
chaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Robert^
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I am in Portland, ride in the rain very often, and have been considering the same. This is what I have found:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-valdez-parka

It is Pro-Shell so the first layer is not only abrasion resistant but water doesn't get behind it. I am looking for nice leather with some armor. There is also the Icon brand of raingear which should also be on Revzilla.
Robert^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
i the past i have used and liked first gear rain gear:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cket_2013.html

or frogg toggs:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...cket_2012.html

both go over your riding gear easily and both have kept me dry in even the heaviest of downpours.

the main problem with rain gear is making sure you always have it with you and putting it on before it starts to rain.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I am a Frog-Toggs convert. I always thought they looked ridiculous and felt cheaply made. I broke down and picked up a set on sale and I have to say wow I was wrong. Well they still look a little strange. But they hold together well, keep me dry and most important , THEY BREATHE VERY WELL.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 704
Frogg Toggs work well. Treat 'em with a bit of respect and they will last quite a while.
We also use them at work up and down ladders all day in the rain. The crew likes them way better that the old stand-by yellow rain suit.
That said, for regular use a "real" waterproof riding kit is the way to go.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,574
I used a BMW ProRain3 before I went with Klim gear (which is waterproof Gore-tex).

It never leaked for me. I thought it was expensive ($135) but worth it when riding through some cold, hard rain. The suit seems well made and durable. Just my $0.02.

Edit: You do look like a huge banana, though.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I used a BMW ProRain3 before I went with Klim gear (which is waterproof Gore-tex).

It never leaked for me. I thought it was expensive ($135) but worth it when riding through some cold, hard rain. The suit seems well made and durable. Just my $0.02.

Edit: You do look like a huge banana, though.
Plus 1

Got caught w/o rain gear on a ride back from Shelton to Spokane. Never again. I've had this suit for over a year and it's been great. Looking like a banana is okay with me as long as I'm dry.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
Plus 1

Got caught w/o rain gear on a ride back from Shelton to Spokane. Never again. I've had this suit for over a year and it's been great. Looking like a banana is okay with me as long as I'm dry.

Pete
You will be seen, that's for certain!

Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
BMW ProRain 3

Will this suit fit comfortably over a riding jacket with armor? When the rain starts and you are on the side of the road how fast and how easy is it to get on?
Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy's View Post
Will this suit fit comfortably over a riding jacket with armor? When the rain starts and you are on the side of the road how fast and how easy is it to get on?
Izzy
I bought a larger size than my jacket size and I can easily get it on over a riding jacket with armor. No problem. It would probably take less than a minute to get on and zip up if you were standing on the side of the road.

It's always best to try one on, if you can. How big are you? Height? Weight? I am going to be in Little Rock this weekend, and if you were anywhere near my size I'd be glad to meet you and let you try on my suit.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,503
BMW Klimakomfort suit.
I have version one,they are now advertising version 2.
Original is Goretex,not sure newer one is,as they certainly don't mention that in the ads.
My version has kept me dry thru some serious storms,including a good thunderstorm crossing over the Million Dollar Hwy on a summer afternoon

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Mr. Gone

I'm 6'0, 175 lbs..
Your offer to try yours on is very nice however if you can compare my size to you and recommend a size that will probably be sufficient.
If you happen to be in West Little Rock we'd like to invite you to try our restaurant called Izzy's, been in business since 1985 and one of the biggest family owned restaurants in Arkansas. Check out our website,
izzyslittlerock.com and we'd love for you to give us a try. I'm usually not there on Saturdays but I guarantee our staff will take great care of you.
Sincerely,
Robert Isbell
Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #13
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
I'm 6'0, 175 lbs..
Your offer to try yours on is very nice however if you can compare my size to you and recommend a size that will probably be sufficient.
If you happen to be in West Little Rock we'd like to invite you to try our restaurant called Izzy's, been in business since 1985 and one of the biggest family owned restaurants in Arkansas. Check out our website,
izzyslittlerock.com and we'd love for you to give us a try. I'm usually not there on Saturdays but I guarantee our staff will take great care of you.
Sincerely,
Robert Isbell
Izzy
Thanks for the invite, Izzy. I will try to stop in.

I have an XXL and even with a motorcycle jacket underneath, it's probably a size too large. For you at 6' and 175, I would say a Large would work and you could still wear a motorcycle jacket underneath. I don't think you'd need an XL... it would probably be too baggy.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Izzy
BMW Pro Rain 3 One Piece suit...

It fits easily over my mesh gear, and even my backpack!

Takes about 3 minutes to get on.

I've only needed it once, but it was on flooded streets here in Mexico with buses and trucks throwing up walls of water. I had a few damp spots, but since it was the equivalent of jumping in a swimming pool, I think it was acceptable. It comes with a mesh bag, and packs up pretty small condisering it's pretty heavy material.

My daughter calls me bananaman, but I have no problem with yellow when visibility is reduced.

It's all packed up, but I think it's a large, which is my normal size (6'1", 33" inseam, 43 chest and 26" Arms, 185 Lbs). I bought it while on a business trip to the US, so didn't get a chance to try it over my gear. I put on the next larger size in the store, and it was ridiculously long and big.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
My advice is to buy a size larger than you think you need in Raingear. Putting rain gear over leathers is a royal PITA, and in my experience, a size larger is much faster to put on. Faster is better when you're on the side of the road trying to get your rain gear on. YMMV though.

Maybe my experience is uncommon, but I would suggest staying away from Nelson Riggs rain gear. I bought a two piece rainsuit and only wore it a handful of times before multiple seems were coming apart and it was leaking. However, on a positive not, it was the failure of this rainsuit (and others before it) that gave me the push I needed to get an Aerostich Darien two piece suit so that I won't have to bother with rain gear any longer.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote