Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #16021
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateDunk View Post
Brake callipers are fine, the disc rivets started to fret, resulting in lots of clanking and would ultimately have led to brake failure. I.e the floating discs floated too much.
got a pic? the disc shouldn't move at all. the float comes from the calipers. if this really is a problem i just want to know whats up...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #16022
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
got a pic? the disc shouldn't move at all. the float comes from the calipers. if this really is a problem i just want to know whats up...
No pic, the old discs have since gone to the tip.

The Disc does float, ever so slightly. Grab yours and give it a tug forwards or backwards. It will move a bit. The rivets allow it to move to as it heats up.

Definitely not the calipers.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #16023
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Lack of parts supply has also extended to wheel bearings, seals and brake pads.

If only Triumph would list the commercial bearing sizes like KTM do so that I could get hold of them locally before taking them out.
All the above are available from just about any local Jap bike dealer (the callipers are used on loads of stuff) or bearing supplier. Yes you need to know the size but if you know where to look :- http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041 number 7 has the size in the title.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #16024
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Brake callipers are fine, the disc rivets started to fret, resulting in lots of clanking and would ultimately have led to brake failure. I.e the floating discs floated too much.
That is quite normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. When I first got my BMW R100GS it had disc rattle that would get heads turning when riding on cobbled streets. It consistently got through MOT after MOT. After a few years I got fed up with the racket and swapped the disc for an EBC Pro-lite.
I think you're being too fussy.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #16025
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That is quite normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. When I first got my BMW R100GS it had disc rattle that would get heads turning when riding on cobbled streets. It consistently got through MOT after MOT. After a few years I got fed up with the racket and swapped the disc for an EBC Pro-lite.
I think you're being too fussy.
How many sets of brake pads did you get through before that happened?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #16026
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
No pic, the old discs have since gone to the tip.

The Disc does float, ever so slightly. Grab yours and give it a tug forwards or backwards. It will move a bit. The rivets allow it to move to as it heats up.

Definitely not the calipers.
hummm, ok. thanks
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #16027
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Some floating discs have a spring-washer contained within the buttons and some don't. Just because the disc moves or rattles doesn't make it worn out. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of Harley riders.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 AM   #16028
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
cam chain tensioner noise at cold starts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Mine primarily does it only on cold starts. When I take it apart soon I'll know if anything is broken or if its just a case of the little spring thing being out of whack. I guess it's easier and quicker for me to look myself rather than have the dealer look at it. Plus, if they don't find anything they think is wrong then I am stuck with a bill and no better off.
I was asking whether the problem with the CCT (noise, spring out of whack) was a warranty issue or not.

So let me ask this question differently:

If you have this noise at start up (and eventually it graduates to being there all the time) and you do nothing about it, is this going to create any damage to the engine?

If so, isn't this something that Triumph should take care under warranty?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #16029
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I was asking whether the problem with the CCT (noise, spring out of whack) was a warranty issue or not.

If you have this noise at start up (and eventually it graduates to being there all the time) and you do nothing about it, is this going to create any damage to the engine?

It is covered by warranty.

If left uncorrected, it will damage the engine. It can be as minor as casing damage, from the chain whacking the inside, which generates metal fragments. Or, it can be as serious as total tensioner failure, which would allow the cam timing to skip and bend valves and possible other engine damage.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #16030
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

If it did it all the time then yes. But as a previous poster noted, his did it on start up only and when he took his CCT out he found the spring on the CCT that puts tension on when there is no oil pressure (start up) to be out of placed. He popped the spring back into place and problem solved. That''s what I am hoping for as dropping the bike off etc... is a major hassle. If that is not problem with mine I'll consider taking it in. But yes, a bad CCT would be a warranty item.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #16031
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It is covered by warranty.

If left uncorrected, it will damage the engine. It can be as minor as casing damage, from the chain whacking the inside, which generates metal fragments. Or, it can be as serious as total tensioner failure, which would allow the cam timing to skip and bend valves and possible other engine damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
If it did it all the time then yes. But as a previous poster noted, his did it on start up only and when he took his CCT out he found the spring on the CCT that puts tension on when there is no oil pressure (start up) to be out of placed. He popped the spring back into place and problem solved. That''s what I am hoping for as dropping the bike off etc... is a major hassle. If that is not problem with mine I'll consider taking it in. But yes, a bad CCT would be a warranty item.
Thanks guys!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #16032
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Some floating discs have a spring-washer contained within the buttons and some don't. Just because the disc moves or rattles doesn't make it worn out. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of Harley riders.
The spring washers help to increase the clamping stresses of the rivets.

I work with and design aircraft components. If a rivet or bolt gets slop it has zero fatigue life.

i.e. If you stick a 6mm bolt in an 8mm hole it can carry zero load. Simples.

I apologise for being too fussy. I have a syndrome called self preservation. I've noticed Hardly-Worthit drivers don't have this basic human instinct.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #16033
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The spring washers help to increase the clamping stresses of the rivets.

I work with and design aircraft components. If a rivet or bolt gets slop it has zero fatigue life.

I apologise for being too fussy. I have a syndrome called self preservation. I've noticed Hardly-Worthit drivers don't have this basic human instinct.
Not being too fussy.

Your bolt example is dead-on. However, I can't tell you how many iron, Brembo race rotors I've heard rattle, to include new, out-of-the-box examples. Brake Tech iron rotors do the same. They float freely, without spring washers. IDK, I'm not an engineer. But, I'd think the engineers, who specialize in these components, have a pretty good idea what they're doing. In fact, before floating rotors became mainstream, they didn't have spring washers. When nearly every sportbike started coming with them, people started complaining about the rattling.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #16034
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
How many sets of brake pads did you get through before that happened?
The 100GS was like it when I bought it. It only had 11250 miles on the clock.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #16035
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
That depends on which direction that load is. i.e. the bolt itself has shear strength depending on the material it's made from. If the load is 90 degrees to the axis it'll carry a load up to that strength.
Now if you replace bolt with bobbin...............