Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #3451
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Would anyone be interested in a FMF Powercore slip on? I am looking to sell mine
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #3452
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crf250l View Post
So total noob, only my second post, and this is my first bike. I am totally new to this stuff in general, but I am pretty mechanical having been in the auto repair business for nearly 20 years.

My CRF has about 70 miles on it and I noticed an oil and/or coolant leak today. Its coming from what looks like a weep hole directly underneath the water pump towards the front of the bike from the oil filter housing.

Is this normal? Been riding in cold weather, near freezing. If not what needs to be fixed (I guess it would be warrantied anyway, just curious)
For what its worth a few of my Honda's did the same coolant drip thing through the weep hole too, but stopped after another heat cycle.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #3453
RonZacapa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbeoutdoors View Post
Mine did the same thing early on...had to warranty it at the dealer, they put in a couple new gaskets and seals.
Same here. First noticed this when the bike was new and queried this with the Honda dealer. My bike has now done a 1000 miles and the wheephole leak has stopped. Thinking its a new seal in a new bike on a new shaft and needs a bit of time to bed in. I'd say keep an eye on it and if it hasn't sorted itself in 500 miles file a warranty claim.

Sidenote: My CRF is great after 1000 miles, definately a good little dirt commuter
RonZacapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #3454
Crf250l
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcs90 View Post
For what its worth a few of my Honda's did the same coolant drip thing through the weep hole too, but stopped after another heat cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonZacapa View Post
Same here. First noticed this when the bike was new and queried this with the Honda dealer. My bike has now done a 1000 miles and the wheephole leak has stopped. Thinking its a new seal in a new bike on a new shaft and needs a bit of time to bed in. I'd say keep an eye on it and if it hasn't sorted itself in 500 miles file a warranty claim.
Thanks guys, I will keep an eye on it and see if it stops.
Crf250l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #3455
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274

A little more than 1000 miles. It will need new tires soon..otherwise I love this bike!
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #3456
Sharkfan22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
1000K service today and fitted a 13t sprocket, its like a new bike now.
I also got a pirelli mt21 fitted to the front. (I will report how it goes)

anybody got any links to the IMS tank yet?
Sharkfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #3457
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Would anyone be interested in a FMF Powercore slip on? I am looking to sell mine
I messaged you. But yes I would be interested.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #3458
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Anyone come from a old school dual sport like a KRL650 or DR650 or DR350 have any thought on how this smaller cc, but more more modern bike compares in power and comfort?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #3459
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Can someone please help me out with measuring the inner diameter of the radiator hose? I'm away from my bike for a bit and need this measurement for...a thing
Bump. Anyone? Pretty please.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #3460
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanoe View Post
Anyone come from a old school dual sport like a KRL650 or DR650 or DR350 have any thought on how this smaller cc, but more more modern bike compares in power and comfort?
I still have my DR650 and have a KLX250S. Does that count?

The smaller bike will feel waaaaay more nimble. Once you get a good seat on it and get the bars at a good height, it'll be comfy too. What you'll miss is higher speed stability. I dunno about the Honda, but my KLX isn't real happy above 65 mph, though it will do 75 if I push it. It's just so light, especially in the front end, that above 65, it doesn't feel all that stable, especially with full knobbies.

But for getting around at lower speeds, you'll love it. You will miss the torque of the larger motor, but unless you're in a hurry, it won't be a big deal. I run a 13T sprocket on mine which has helped quite a bit with low-end power.

Finn would be a good one to answer this question too, since he has that big BMW and the Husaberg... yet he rides his LRP quite a bit.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #3461
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
It's a totally different bike (CRF250L) then the KLR 650's and the DR 650's, I've had them all, at 67 I'm truly old school. When I got the Honda it put a bike smile on my face and I thought it was 1970 all over again and riding my Yamaha DT250 again. You have to buy a bike for how you are going to ride it, that's why owning just one bike is hard to do if off road inters the picture. The KLR 650 is a great bike for what it is, and I didn't know they were old school, I was at the dealer the other day and they are still selling them new. If I could have only one bike, it would be a 650 single, KLR 650, DR 650, BMW 650 Sertao, KTM 690 E, or the new Husqvarna 650. A 250cc bike will never be a 650cc bike, but the fun factor on the 250cc and the price is what sell these bikes, otherwise we would all be on KTM 690 Enduro's. The new Honda CRF250L is the "Best bang for the buck" out there, enough said.

John

trainman screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 07:23 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #3462
BigCanoe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
old school in that they are basically the same design from 20 years ago...no offense intended, I have owned several :)

does the lrp (I love that term) cruise along at 60 without much wiggle or vibration?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #3463
clfarren5944
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
old school in that they are basically the same design from 20 years ago...no offense intended, I have owned several :)

does the lrp (I love that term) cruise along at 60 without much wiggle or vibration?
It'll run 60 easily but you have to get used to having to rev it. No harm as the rev limiter cuts in at 10,500 I think. Like Trainman, I've had all the dual sports and have a DR650 for long distance. Just love singles, don't need any more cylinders, and any less means pedaling.
Chris
clfarren5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #3464
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
(1) I would like to post pics, someone several post back told about Google Drive, I now have the Google Drive and an account with them, where do I go next to post pics. Any help would appreciated on this, Thanks, John

(2) Big Canoe, I knew what you were talking about, just wanted to give you a hard time for the old school term and me being old myself. I think you will find the bike ok at 60-65 mph, usually at higher speeds the tires can be a factor in smoothness of the ride. Do I want to ride this bike all day at 60-65mph, NO, plus the LRP does not have much power at this speed.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #3465
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:

I've had mine doing 70, briefly, seemed pretty stable. I know air cooling means reduced weight, but if you look at (uh oh, off topic) modern trials bikes, they are all liquid cooled, and less weight is the name of the game for those folks. Liquid cooling, closer tolerances, more power.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote