ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Heading to Port Angeles-Victoria from LA

Hi guys,

I'm tentatively scheduled to ride up to PA and then take the ferry to Victoria, departing the LA area on March 1, and coming back to Glendora CA around March 10.

I've been watching the weather carefully-it looks like there might be a "window" of better weather from the 3rd on...

I'm hoping some of you PNW inmates have some tips, route suggestions, ideas, etc. I've been up and down the CA, WA, OR coasts countless times in the summer, but never thought of attempting this ride in late winter before....

Thanks for reading,

Steve
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 306
Looks like we won't be getting any lowland snow this winter. We are still getting the normal rain though. Bring your passport.
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
Looks like we won't be getting any lowland snow this winter. We are still getting the normal rain though. Bring your passport.
Thanks for the response, Cline. My plan is gonna be to blast up I-5 to Olympia, go north on US 101 to PA, and head over the ferry to Victoria, where I'll be visiting my riding partner. This'll save me a couple of days.

Then, I'll take the coast all the way back to the 'burbs of LA....
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
drewbuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
I suppose telling you to bring layers is too obvious to be a helpful tip! Heated gear will be most useful for this trip. Also note that on ferries in Washington, motorcyclists go to the front of the line - so you don't have to worry about a row of cars or waiting your turn.

sounds fun!
Totaled Bikes: 04 XR650L
drewbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
My $0.02, I would take the east 101 route over the western one in WA (following the Hood Canal rather than the coast). You may already be familiar with it since you say you've been to the coast before, but the WA coast route is pretty boring for the most part. You only actually ride next to the coast for a small section, the road is basically straight and most of scenery is former forests in varying states of regrowth. I will say that once you get to Lake Crescent (or alternatively, route 112/113) the road becomes much more interesting, but by then, you're pretty much in Port Angeles. The east 101 should prove to be a little more scenic, and likely a little warmer too, I'd think. Also, I wouldn't put too much faith in the forecast--prepare for rain and and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,585
The weather is really hard to predict this time of year, I wouldn't count on your "Window". I'd pack for rain and cold. Are you camping?

TIPS
- Extra gloves and socks
- Gore-tex is your friend
- A small tarp or poncho can come in handy
- Heated gear sure is nice (Gerbings HQ is near Olympia...just sayin)
- Pin-Locks work great in the rain
- See a pattern...

Personally I hate riding up I-5, but if you gotta make miles, and you don't mind the interstate I guess it works. Alternate inland routes means snowy passes.

Once to Eugene, you can run parallel to I-5 along on the East or West side of the valley to see some different sites and smaller towns. Also at Portland you can consider, taking HWY 30 to Rainer, cross the Columbia and go up though Castle Rock parallel to I-5 for quite awhile to see something different. Neither are fast, just better looking alternaties to the Interstate.

Good luck. Make a ride report.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
I have been riding every day but one this year in victoria, so this end should be no issue. Have a safe ride
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
meatwitheyes
Bon Vivant

Oddometer: 1,670
If coming up 5 to Oregon keep a close eye on weather and road conditions going over the Siskiyou's (Mt. Shasta to Medford) still the possibility of snow and ice that time of year. If conditions are bad you can come up 101 to 199 above Crescent City and take it over to Grants Pass.

The Taciturn Misanthropist... Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
All education is liberalizing
meatwitheyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
My $0.02, I would take the east 101 route over the western one in WA (following the Hood Canal rather than the coast). You may already be familiar with it since you say you've been to the coast before, but the WA coast route is pretty boring for the most part. You only actually ride next to the coast for a small section, the road is basically straight and most of scenery is former forests in varying states of regrowth. I will say that once you get to Lake Crescent (or alternatively, route 112/113) the road becomes much more interesting, but by then, you're pretty much in Port Angeles. The east 101 should prove to be a little more scenic, and likely a little warmer too, I'd think. Also, I wouldn't put too much faith in the forecast--prepare for rain and and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
Pre divorce, I had a house in Sequim...all in all, a great trade Nevertheless, I agree 100% about the cruise next to the Hood Canal, past Sequim to PA.

I wish I didn't have to roll up the i-5, but it'll be a necessary evil so I may spend more time in Sooke. (Did I get that right?)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
AdventurePoser OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
The weather is really hard to predict this time of year, I wouldn't count on your "Window". I'd pack for rain and cold. Are you camping?

Once to Eugene, you can run parallel to I-5 along on the East or West side of the valley to see some different sites and smaller towns. Also at Portland you can consider, taking HWY 30 to Rainer, cross the Columbia and go up though Castle Rock parallel to I-5 for quite awhile to see something different. Neither are fast, just better looking alternaties to the Interstate.

Good luck. Make a ride report.
Thanks for the tips....I have a Gerbings jacket and gloves, AD-1 pants, and will use an Olympia AST 2 Jacket. Have extra gloves, socks, long underwear etc, etc, so hopefully I'll stay warm enough, and dry enough...

I appreciate the route suggestions. On the way back I'll be stopping in Multnomah to visit friends, if the weather permits

No camping on this trip. I was thinking about it, but in the end, inexpensive motels, especially mid week rates, have me thinking motels on this trip.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 306
Railroad Ave. near the Coho ferry dock in Port Angeles is torn up right now with 'improvements'. Shouldn't be a problem though.

It's been a bit breezy lately as this pix from Saturday shows.
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwitheyes View Post
If coming up 5 to Oregon keep a close eye on weather and road conditions going over the Siskiyou's (Mt. Shasta to Medford) still the possibility of snow and ice that time of year. If conditions are bad you can come up 101 to 199 above Crescent City and take it over to Grants Pass.

Yeah, you nailed it. Grants Pass, and Shasta Pass are still cold up there. I once got stuck in Yreka for 16 hrs waiting for them to open things up at Shasta. And I was in a 4x4.

You might get lucky. They're calling for wet snow and fog in Weed CA [Shasta]March 5-6-7, but Mar 9-10 weekend it shoots mid-day up to near 65F. Same for Grants. It freezes every night until Mar 8th.
You better have your electric vest or something. For a Northwester that's friggin' cool. For Southern Cal dude, you'll die for sure.
One thing you can say about the coast this time of year, there's minimal chance of freezing temps.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Hey Steve, follow the coast, its a great ride. If you have any trouble around the Forks area give me a shout out.

dkettel@uw.edu

2005 ST 1300--2006 250S--2006 XT 225
deej is offline   Reply With Quote