User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Motoport

Can you get Motoport gear in Australia? It would be worth emailing Wayne to see if he can ship there. It's expensive but is fantastic. I still have my BMW Trailguard jacket and Rallye 3 pants but have not worn them since I got the kevlar mesh gear from Motoport. Good stuff worth the money.
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
xtendqi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Bmw airshell too hot

I bought the BMW K1600 GTL and gear. I AM IN LOVE with my bike!!! BUT the AIRSHELL jacket has a VERY serious problem: YES, it keeps you dry, but by combining both water resistance AND warmth, you end up sweating inside the jacket to the point of needing to change your shirt. I live in Portland, Oregon, where we get about 42 inches of rain a year. Temp in winter is about 30-45 degrees, which feels like 20 due to humidity. I actually wear a T-shirt under my airshell jacket, and I'm still warm (I weigh 165 lbs, 5'11"). The Olympia Motosport jacket I bought for my wife has TWO LINERS: one for rain, and one for warmth...BRILLIANT! I requested that BMW give me credit, not a refund, for another comparable jacket that has two liners, but they refused, saying that the Airshell performs as designed. I, of course, am very bent out of shape after spending $27,000 on the K1600; expecting to get better treatment. BOTTOM LINE: BUY A JACKET THAT HAS TWO LINERS, ONE FOR RAIN, ONE FOR WARMTH, AND HAS THE KEVLAR ARMOR OR YOU WILL SWEAT TO DEATH EVEN IN WINTER.
xtendqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtendqi View Post
BOTTOM LINE: BUY A JACKET THAT HAS TWO LINERS, ONE FOR RAIN, ONE FOR WARMTH, AND HAS THE KEVLAR ARMOR OR YOU WILL SWEAT TO DEATH EVEN IN WINTER.
First of all, I detest jackets with two liners. But to each his or her own. Second, you must live in a very warm place. My Airshell with liner is good down to about 20F; below that a Gerbing's liner is needed. I take the liner out when the temp hits about 50. Above 90 I add a moistened LD Comfort long sleeved shirt underneath. Perfectly comfy up to (so far) 108F
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
orgo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Tourshell

A couple of people have mentioned the BMW Tourshell. Just how waterproof is it?
orgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #20
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Now that this thread got brought up again, I'll comment further on the BMW Tourance 2 jacket. Because it is discontinued, it is now available for $275 at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Tourance-2.../dp/B004NTDFBK

At this price, it is a ridiculous bargain. The shell is absolutely waterproof. I own one and can assure you it will keep water out. It is also very warm when the thermal liner is installed. It does get a bit warm when the temps get above 90F but if you are moving, it isn't horrible. Armor is top notch and it seals out the elements well. The liner is nylon so pulling it on over clothing is fast and easy. At $275, I don't think there is anything close in terms of quality, function and value.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #21
eht8266
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
airshell liner

I've had my airshell for 3 years now. I don't commute every day with it, but use the jacket often enough. But the liner has worn through the neck and the the outside layer has separated from itself. Not the end of the world but I thought that motorrad would at least last a little bit longer. Like a few of the previous folks have mentioned, its a little bulky at times with the liner, but overall its a good jacket. I just don't think I'd want to deal with a hi-viz vest and this forces me to be tennis ball yellow on two wheels. If they could only make a thinner and more durable liner...
eht8266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
t6pilot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I have had my hi-viz airshell for 2 years now. Lots of fade, the zipper sure could be of higher quality. Overall I like the jacket and it was surprisingly waterproof in a recent heavy rain. Pretty easy to keep clean toss it in the wash armor in place use gentle cycle double rinse, using woolite
Next jacket and pants will be motoport though cannot beat their quality
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote