Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #136
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Here is a short compilation of the water crossings. My cheap computer didn't process the first 10-15 seconds so just ignore that part....

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #137
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday:
Woke up very sore…got breakfast…got sweats…got the runs….switched hostels and laid in bed ALL day.

Today:
Feeling much better but not great. Just lying in bed (listening to the Cipro battle the evil bacteria's in my stomach) researching a safe passage through Honduras and thinking about making an attempt on Pacaya. Don’t think it is going to happen though. Will be back on the road tomorrow to check out some natural wonders.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #138
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Viva Cippro, great meeting you guys. Someone down the line buy a drink for them; Neither would let me pay all night. They are in Olympic level drinking shape. Safe travels guys
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #139
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Viva Cippro, great meeting you guys. Someone down the line buy a drink for them; Neither would let me pay all night. They are in Olympic level drinking shape. Safe travels guys
Great to meet you as well sir! Enjoy the rest of your classes and don't do anything we wouldn't at Ocelot/Lava. Take care and stay thirsty my friend.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #140
warp9man
Gravel in my Travel

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Here is a short compilation of the water crossings. My cheap computer didn't process the first 10-15 seconds so just ignore that part....
awesome video guys.

toilet paper is like gold, we were in la bufadura and some kids were selling TP at .25 a square ha-ha. could be really expensive if your having a bad day.
warp9man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #141
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 307
como estas

Thats rough to get the trots while in the saddle!
Did you end up learning much espanol?
LittlePosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #142
JacqueTanis
Sassy

Oddometer: 11
Hey Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Yesterday:
Woke up very sore…got breakfast…got sweats…got the runs….switched hostels and laid in bed ALL day.

Today:
Feeling much better but not great. Just lying in bed (listening to the Cipro battle the evil bacteria's in my stomach) researching a safe passage through Honduras and thinking about making an attempt on Pacaya. Don’t think it is going to happen though. Will be back on the road tomorrow to check out some natural wonders.
This is Jacque from NM (remember we met in Mulege). Glad to see you boys are still on the move (LOL - except for the runs)! Have been following you and am so excited you're having such a great adventure! Stay safe Alex and Andrew and I'll be back in touch soon!

PS My ribs are on the mend, still sore but at least I can move around now. Can't wait to get back on my bike! Stay safe and get over that bug - sorry your not feeling well?
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #143
aurider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Im pretty sure yall just inspired a trip for me after I graduate college. From Alabama to Antigua. How far south are yall plannin on goin?
aurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #144
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp9man View Post
awesome video guys.

toilet paper is like gold, we were in la bufadura and some kids were selling TP at .25 a square ha-ha. could be really expensive if your having a bad day.
yeah but worth every penny when you're in need. I think I paid a kids monthly wage one day in northern India when I had eaten curry for a week and then found myself paying by the square squating over a hole in the tile floor. Glad to see you are still follow this....at least somebody looks at it!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #145
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Thats rough to get the trots while in the saddle!
Did you end up learning much espanol?
I certainly can't have a conversation but I learned enough to acquire everything I need, locate tools/parts, get directions, etc... Just the necesseties which is really what I wanted to accomplish. one week isn't much.

I heard the snow was going to be good this week. My friends are running the hell out of my sled as I type this. I lost a few pounds traveling through the southern desert in Honduras. Not complaining though.....

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #146
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
This is Jacque from NM (remember we met in Mulege). Glad to see you boys are still on the move (LOL - except for the runs)! Have been following you and am so excited you're having such a great adventure! Stay safe Alex and Andrew and I'll be back in touch soon!

PS My ribs are on the mend, still sore but at least I can move around now. Can't wait to get back on my bike! Stay safe and get over that bug - sorry your not feeling well?
Good to here you are doing better. i seem to be completely over the bug and am back on the road. i'll update soon. I don't understand how people do this on a daily basis. It is quite a lot of work. Godspeed

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #147
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurider View Post
Im pretty sure yall just inspired a trip for me after I graduate college. From Alabama to Antigua. How far south are yall plannin on goin?
Not sure if it is good or bad that I inspired someone

Just kidding...it is nice to here that someone has been following along. I am planning to reach Argentina but I really need to rope in the budget if I plan to make it. I wish I would have sold some vehicles before leaving to draw this out longer. Live & Learn!

Best of luck with your studies and future adventures

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #148
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Wicked T.p.

Baby wipes.

Come in a small resealable package and if they get dropped in the river with the bike who cares! No loss and can still be used.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #149
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Pacaya didn’t happen….it will have to wait for the next adventure. We packed up, jumped on the bikes, grabbed some decent oil to pack with us, a cup of joe and we’ll see you later Antigua.

Thirty miles and two hours later we exited Guatemala city…what a shit show. Not much to say about the first 100 miles heading north (high altitudes & desert terrain) but the last 50 miles or so were beautiful rain forest like vegetation with many farming operations. A few hundred twists and turns dropped us into Coban. An old German settlement with little reflection of times past.

An hour later the highway transformed from nice concrete to a steep rocky road that was to take us into the town of Lanquin.

I prefer the offroad but this was not that enjoyable especially when loaded down with gear. Every bounce and jar I was cringing just feeling my subframe cracking about to give way or certain that I bent a rim or punctured a tire (not really just overly anxious). Not much to see in Lanquin but another 15Km and we came to rest at the El Portal hostel/cabins at Semuc Champey. Grabbed an overpriced cabin and headed for the blue pools.

View from our porch:

Hiking trail to the pools:

A peak at the pools from the trail:

Head down a few steps to the bottom of the pools:

Dirty river exiting underneath the pools:

The river runs a dirty brown and flows underneath the 5 blue pools of Semuc Champey. The water was a perfect temperature in the muggy rainforest. Surprisingly little to no bugs in this area (not sure how that works).

I know this is what it takes to grasp some of your attention spans:

At the top of the pools watching the incoming river:

Snuck around the caution tape to grab these. Water rushing underground. Instant death if you fall off of this ledge:

Headed back to the cabin and started dinner. The service members at the Portel were quite rude and pressured people into taking trips and quickly ordering food/drinks etc. Not impressed I decided to cook my last pair of MRE's on my loud stove right on our porch (which is 20ft. from the restaurant/bar). I think my mountain house chili mac was better than anything they were producing.

Cashed in early for the evening but couldn’t sleep at all with the wild dogs barking and fighting all night on top of the insomniac rooster that was raising a fuss somewhere from 2:00-4:00 AM.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #150
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Baby wipes.

Come in a small resealable package and if they get dropped in the river with the bike who cares! No loss and can still be used.

My partner in crime has been packing them since Oregon. Priceless items but totally useless if you leave them in the room. I now am packing my own! Good pointer that I learned a long time ago hunting.

'01 DRZ 400