Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I took my thermarest pad to the Cromag rally and it's now in the surplus pile. It served me well for many years but with my advanced age I don't sleep as well as I used to. Santa brought me a Big Agnes insulated and while I haven't had it out camping yet, I'm looking forward to Rick's Rendezvous this Spring to give a good try.

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
http://www.campsaver.com/downmat-ul-...FeeDQgodUzkA2Q

Lightweight and Exped comfy,at a price.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
I used a Thermarest foam pad for years tho recently had a chance to sleep on an air pad- huge difference. I ran right out and bought one, an Exped Synmat Basic 7.5 w/ an external Pillow-Pump. The mattress is much more comfortable (deeper), is lighter, & packs smaller than the Thermarest and the pillow pump is way better that the fleece bag stuffed with clothes I use to use for a pillow. Highly recommended.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GGIi7...%3DGGIi7Of2ZFU
Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Laugh Great 3 Season Setup

Last year I bought both a Thermarest "30th Anniversary" mattress and the new Neoair.

After comparing the two, I'd have to say I'm a Neoair convert. It packs down tiny and only weighs 1lb. To give you an idea of the difference, the Neoair does not contain open celled foam like a regular Thermarest, which is why it packs super small and weighs less.

The downfall of the old "air only" pads are they weren't very warm. The Neoair has a heat reflective material built in. You can actually feel the heat gain as you first settle into the mattress.

My setup is the Neoair and the Thermarest cotton sheet that slips onto the mattress. Their "Alpine Down Blanket" then snaps to the sheet so you don't roll off the mattress in the middle of the night. This setup is rated down to 35F and is very roomy too - not like a typical mummy bag. All 3 items (mattress, sheet, blanket) pack down smaller than most modern sleeping bags.
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
big agnes bag and pad! the absolute only way to go!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
V-Tom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Everyone's different. I'm a big guy (6'2"), a side sleeper and suffer from Arthritis.

The Symat 9 deluxe Pump (I believe now called Symat 9 LW) is very comfy and warm and packs small. It really is a great pad.

..Tom

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report
V-Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
Bugman98
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Exped is a really nice pad. I have the synmat 7. I think it's 4" thick! Used to have a thermarest but got tired of the bulk and switched to a big Agnes which I could never seem to get comfy on, last summer got an Exped and was such a happy camper!
Bugman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #23
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
Everyone's different. I'm a big guy (6'2"), a side sleeper and suffer from Arthritis.

The Symat 9 deluxe Pump (I believe now called Symat 9 LW) is very comfy and warm and packs small. It really is a great pad.

..Tom
I had a Thermorest and it just didn't cut it for my side sleeping style. I bought the same mattress and love it. Just bought my first Big Agnes bag and my Exped Synmat 9 will fit into the sleeve on the bottom of the bag. This should help in not getting twisted up in the bag. Really looking for weather to break here to try this out.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Nobody says anything about air leaks?? My previous 'not that cheap' cheapo mattress ended up with multiple thorn holes rendering it useless on only the 3rd night of a 3 week trip. This was in a tent with a separate canvas ground sheet. Was I just unlucky or is this relatively normal? I have now absconded with my wife's closed cell foam yoga mat! Which won't leak but 2 cm thick and limited compressibility (light though) not that comfortable and not the easiest to pack.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
charlesdarwin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
The Thermarest Neoair XLite is the best I have come across. They come in several different length. The short weighs in at about 8 ounces and is very compact, roll to about 3" x 9". I slept on one for about 100 nights on a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail this year, not a single leak. Kinda pricey.
charlesdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #26
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Nobody says anything about air leaks?? My previous 'not that cheap' cheapo mattress ended up with multiple thorn holes rendering it useless on only the 3rd night of a 3 week trip. This was in a tent with a separate canvas ground sheet. .
If you put a pad down anywhere you have thorns that can make it thru that, I think you'd have problems with a Thermarest foam or air pad really. The Exped comes with a patch kit which I've never had to use, then again its fairly new too. It comes down to trade offs. If comfort/weight & pack size are important, go air but if you do, stay away from the briar patch :)
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Ive got a Thermarest , Exped Syn & now the new Nemo , the Nemo's the most comfortable & has a built in pillow . The exped's still a great pad .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

I have repared my thermarest 2-3times. The first time it got flat at -18c outside, didnt sleep that well that night

Still use it tho, as I cant figure out what else suits me and my wallet.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #29
AlanCT OP
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
Those Expeds are not cheap. It looks like I need to save my coins...
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
Those Expeds are not cheap. It looks like I need to save my coins...

Alan,

They are worth it. I sleep better on my expeds than my bed at home, I think she paid 1500 for that mattress
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote