Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
fuzzybabybunny OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Best cooking gear for making *real* food?

I come from a lightweight backpacking background, meaning we have light backpacking stoves that are great at boiling water and then we just pour it in some dehydrated food like oatmeal, freeze dried stuff, etc. OK for short backpacking trips. Crappy for long trips.

Sometimes you just want to buy some raw ingredients from the grocery and have a real (and cheap) meal.

Since a RTW trip is going to be very, very long, I'm looking for some cooking options that will allow me to make real foods with raw meats and stuff. Even stews. Preferably one that doesn't require me to make an actual fire every night.

Any ideas?
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,066
Use the stove in your truck camper, or bring along a coleman dual burner propane or white gas stove. With either you can use real household dishes.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,578
I have this stove for motorcycle camping: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pri...colorFamily=99

I do a lot of backpacking, too, and I have found that this stove has a nice, broad flame that's much better than the typical propane torch style flame you get from a backpacking stove, and it doesn't really weigh all that much more than my ultralight stoves, either. I wouldn't carry it in a pack on my back, but on a motorcycle the weight doesn't matter quite as much. Plus it's super cheap. That said, I think I'd want a multi-fuel stove for a RTW trip since you probably won't be able to source the gas cylinders for the above stove everywhere you go. Having a stove that can burn unleaded from your tank would probably be a big plus. Take that with a grain of salt, though, since I've never been even halfway round the world.

IMO, though, it's just as much a function of the pans you use as the stove. My titanium backpacking pots are useless for anything but boiling water because they just scorch. Not enough heat distribution. I have some older aluminum pans that are much better for actual cooking because the aluminum conducts the heat better and gives a more even temperature for cooking. A moderately thick pan made out of aluminum would be about as good as you can get for decent cooking and still have a good weight for packing on a bike.

Hope that helps some.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
I come from a lightweight backpacking background, meaning we have light backpacking stoves that are great at boiling water and then we just pour it in some dehydrated food like oatmeal, freeze dried stuff, etc. OK for short backpacking trips. Crappy for long trips.

Sometimes you just want to buy some raw ingredients from the grocery and have a real (and cheap) meal.

Since a RTW trip is going to be very, very long, I'm looking for some cooking options that will allow me to make real foods with raw meats and stuff. Even stews. Preferably one that doesn't require me to make an actual fire every night.

Any ideas?

Check out BeemerChef's stuff. Ara is the king of eating well on the road.

http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

Has some great "One-Pan Recipes"
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,424
RTW trip, on a bike? take a stove that uses the fuel in your bike, stupid to carry another type of fuel just to cook with, especially going RTW. lots of folks will argue, saying you can get fuel canisters everywhere, well, maybe, but never when you NEED them, and why the hell would you want to carry the extra weight. just use one that runs on unleaded. THEN, you need one that will simmer. The coleman dual fuel kinda simmers, but it's not that great, needs constant adjustment to avoid burning, and is kinda big. If it were my money and my trip, I'd research an MSR dragonfly or an optimus hiker, both have pros and cons, but either one will do what you require.
saying all that, you can bet someone in a day or so will chime in and tell you a fucking jetboil is the only stove you can use, even though they don't simmer, or better yet, just get your coffee at a starbucks and eat granola bars, twigs and bark for dinner. just wait for it, it's coming!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Primus Omnifuel

+1 on the previous post. Primus makes a great stove and it can run on gas, diesel or cartridges. Gas bottle doubles as emergency fuel...if you put gas in it.

I do everything I need on a 8" ceramic coated aluminum pan. I cut off the handle and so that it is about 2" long and rigged it so that I can use my tire iron for an extended handle.
BostonGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
fuzzybabybunny OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
RTW trip, on a bike? take a stove that uses the fuel in your bike, stupid to carry another type of fuel just to cook with, especially going RTW. lots of folks will argue, saying you can get fuel canisters everywhere, well, maybe, but never when you NEED them, and why the hell would you want to carry the extra weight. just use one that runs on unleaded. THEN, you need one that will simmer. The coleman dual fuel kinda simmers, but it's not that great, needs constant adjustment to avoid burning, and is kinda big. If it were my money and my trip, I'd research an MSR dragonfly or an optimus hiker, both have pros and cons, but either one will do what you require.
saying all that, you can bet someone in a day or so will chime in and tell you a fucking jetboil is the only stove you can use, even though they don't simmer, or better yet, just get your coffee at a starbucks and eat granola bars, twigs and bark for dinner. just wait for it, it's coming!
I have the Jetboil.

Hell no.
fuzzybabybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Coleman 2-Burner Multi Fuel. Period.

Yeah, it's big

But you asked for it.

You can't do "real" food on a RTW trip, all day long, on a small backpacking stove, no way.

Want to eat the real thing? Buy the real thing.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
I came from a backpacking mentality as well.

These days, I carry a GSI Outdoors Bugaboo Backpacker Cookset. It is jammed with spices, cooking oil, ground coffee, and other junk so that space is not wasted. I leave the second bowl and cup in it because you never know who you may run into who is worth sharing a meal with. Small enough that you can make a one-pot meal easily, but big enough that you don't have to (when you have a hankering for fresh fish with a side of rice and some asparagus).

I have a bunch of different stoves: unleaded, canister, multi-fuel, alcohol. For a RTW trip, I would probably go with alcohol stoves for a few reasons (one each of the Stever Stoves).
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
black_labb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I did/do a lot of cooking while touring on a pushbike where weight isn't as big a deal as backpacking but more so than on a motorbike. I enjoy cooking a lot and ending a day cooking a nice meal with a beer before getting in to the tent is ideal for me.

I use a primus gravity II MF stove. I run it on petrol as it is easy to find.

Titanium pots are useless for cooking as they don't conduct heat. I've been very happy with hard anodised aluminium. I have used a pot for 4.5 months straight cooking atleast 6 meals a week and it was just as good as new. Cleaned it often using a stainless spoon to scratch hard bits off before using minimal water. No problem there

I use a single pot and a vacuum flask/thermos. The vac flask has quite a few uses. Most impressively I use it to make slow cooked casseroles. The idea is to bring stock/vegies/casserole meat/spices ect up to a simmer for about 5 minutes. In this 5 minutes I try to put about 100ml of liquid into the flask to preheat it. at the end of the 5 mins put the liquid in the flask back into the pot, let it get to boiling temp then transfer it all in to the vac flask. The casserole is now in the vac flask cooking away at 95*. clean up, pack up and keep riding/whatever you want to do. 2-6 hours later open up the flask and you have a hot meal ready to eat (add bread or whatever). You can do some seriously impressive meals like this but you need to do your cooking well before you eat.

I also use the vac flask for making pasta. Basically I'll boil water and pour it into the vac flask with the pasta and seal. I try to shake the vac flask every couple mins to get the noodles moving to prevent them from sticking. The noodles are now cooking and your stove is free to make the sauce. after about 10 mins check on the pasta is ready. If it is drain half the liquid and add cold water in its place and shake. this stops the noodles from cooking as well as gets rid of some starch that is dissolved in the liquid. When you are ready to eat drain the liquid and serve. If you really overload the vac flask give it another rinse with cold water so that they are not so starchy (from having too high a pasta:water ratio). You can use this for many other things, just be careful that you don't make something you cannot remove from the flask (like making sticky rice in a flask with a narrow opening).

It's also great for coffee, tea soup ect.

A good meal can make a bad day better. Ending a terrible day eating instant noodles when it's all you've eaten all week is a good recipe for an abandoned journey.
black_labb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #11
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
DIY Perspective

+1 on the vacuum flask !! I think it is how much your willing to invest.

I have tried the ultralight backpacking DIY technical approach with the penny stove, wind screen and home made cook set averaging around 1 1/2 pound with alcohol and combo freeze dried food. Penny stove cook sys located at Indestructibles.com -> outdoor section.With a total frugal cost of $10 for kit and $10 for food it was hard to beat my one person three day adventure. Although it was not as fulfilling as my medium kit.

Medium: I have currently adapted at Stanley stainless steel cook cup 36 oz with simmer top purchased at target for 20$ it boils and does stews well.Vacuum thermos recently added. Penny stove!! 1 -2 ppl

Heavy weight: I have the MSR Bugaboo lots of fun, received as gift and then purchased the "real" MSR fry pan 20$, for stir fry of course, to replace the plastic ,which melted, top. I love this thing like a fat kid to cake, handle comes off with ease and its teflon. Con is that is is Teflon so no steel wool cleaning material. Cooks 2-4 ppl

I think the most comprehensive system is the "Trangia" best bang for the buck/weight ratio and is on my Christmas list.

More DIY: I think you will be able to find all the anodized aluminum at an Asian Supermarket Market for cheep and to modify. I am trying slowly to talk with the market owner to order me some specialty pieces to make my own trangia'ish set.

Afterthought, I think Black Labb's post was a little more comprehensive and an informative, fantastic perspective. Your perspective gave me a few new ideas. Thanks in advance

Thunderhart8 screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 03:51 AM
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Coleman 2-Burner Multi Fuel. Period.

Yeah, it's big

But you asked for it.

You can't do "real" food on a RTW trip, all day long, on a small backpacking stove, no way.

Want to eat the real thing? Buy the real thing.
I disagree, I've done plenty of "real" cooking on a single burner stove, just have to be creative with how you do it, it's not like cooking at home. I only keep some backpacking meals in the bottom of the panniers for emergency use, for when I couldn't find a store to buy supplies, all other times, I stop and buy fresh and cook up some surprisingly good meals. I carry a large msr pot, pan , and lid, had them for 20 some years now, and beside being a little dented, still function great.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
jodyz121
Mostly Harmless . . .

Oddometer: 291
Try a heat diffuser. It enables you to cook evenly in a thin pot with any stove.
jodyz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,455
The Svea isn't known for simmering ability but by using pots that each have their own permanent handle i can do a "pot shuffle". For example, I can take the pasta water off and quickly heat sauce, then put the water back on then . . .

So for me, pot grippers or shared lids would not work at all.

I put gas from the motorcycle tank into the Svea and have had zero trouble with 30 or 40 tanks full. I have a quick-connect just below the petcock and replaced the vacuum petcock with a full-manual one.

I tried a Coleman dual-fuel stove that was supposed to simmer better but it failed in a month so I went back to reliable equipment.

I cook fresh food when possible but usually have some pasta or quick rice as an emergency supply. I can make a passable sauce from the spices and soup base that I carry.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #15
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623

Pasta from the store, then added some canned tuna to and and it was delicious!

Its a dragonfly stove.

It would be better to have 2 stoves, 1 pot and one frying pan. Made some real meat on the frying pan while the pasta is cooked. (pasta or rice, or anything)