User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #46
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Eureka Timberline 4

Just a note.... The old Timberline 4 is shock corded. Shock cord technology does go back that far!
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Tent Pole Technologies has also been listed in the first post since day 1. Boondox used Quest Outfitters who are also great folks and very helpful.

For a pole with perhaps 9 sections, cutting will remove 9 kerfs and shorten the pole by perhaps 12mm or half-inch. Buying new sections plus new connectors can easily cost well over $50 for a 2-pole tent. Why share the information to know if an additional $50 or $60 or more will be required?

I fail to see how sharing information is a problem.

Info is good.

If you cut your poles inserts are about $.70 a piece and an extra length of pole is about $3 but not really needed if you use a tubing cutter as the kerf it makes is almost none. So for less than $20 you can have any pole length you desire which isnt much $$ considering most of the tents mentioned previously are $300+.

I was just giving this info so somebody doesn't pass on what could be "the perfect tent for them" because the poles won't fit somewhere.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM   #48
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Info is good.

If you cut your poles inserts are about $.70 a piece and an extra length of pole is about $3 but not really needed if you use a tubing cutter as the kerf it makes is almost none. So for less than $20 you can have any pole length you desire which isnt much $$ considering most of the tents mentioned previously are $300+.

I was just giving this info so somebody doesn't pass on what could be "the perfect tent for them" because the poles won't fit somewhere.
This is good information... But it was already available in this thread in the first post. There's really no need to bring it up again, especially in a mildly argumentative manner by saying "Not sure why you would base your tent purchase on pole length..."

We get it. You can modify poles to any length you desire by spending extra money and making a separate purchase at a separate business and paying separate shipping and handling and waiting for another package to arrive... But that's not what this thread was about (not speaking for Grinnin here, just how I see it). Often times with the high or even moderate-end tents, they are very similar in many aspects, and out-of-the-package pole length can be the deciding factor. There are many people who simply don't want to bother with ordering a custom set of poles with an expensive tent purchase (I would be included in this last subset of tent buyers).

So, I hope this answers your musings about why one might base their tent purchase on pole length.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #49
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
This is good information... But it was already available in this thread in the first post.
I have only a place-holder in the first post. I would like to point to other threads describing how to shorten tent poles, but I haven't sifted through the search results.

I HAVE modified poles, replacing the poles on my '90s REI Half-Dome with shorter sections from my '70s Sierra Designs Aireflex. I had to cut only a couple of end sections and there were no odd fittings involved. The fittings were also not "staked" (that is peened) as they are with my latest tent.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #50
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
I have only a place-holder in the first post. I would like to point to other threads describing how to shorten tent poles, but I haven't sifted through the search results.

I HAVE modified poles, replacing the poles on my '90s REI Half-Dome with shorter sections from my '70s Sierra Designs Aireflex. I had to cut only a couple of end sections and there were no odd fittings involved. The fittings were also not "staked" (that is peened) as they are with my latest tent.
I am going to be ordering a few poles (both fiberglass and alum) and fittings tomorrow for 4 different tents and I can post a "how to" if there is any interest.
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #51
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I am going to be ordering a few poles (both fiberglass and alum) and fittings tomorrow for 4 different tents and I can post a "how to" if there is any interest.
I would be glad to add a link in the first post of this thread pointing to your thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Manufacturers provide information about floor size and packed weight and many other things, but that packed tent pole length is one item that is difficult to determine and that most users don't care. I don't know that it's the primary criterion for anyone, just the one that isn't as easy to find.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 03:36 PM
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #52
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
sierra clip flashlight 2

Pole length 18" or 45.72 cm
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #53
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
sierra clip flashlight 2 and cirrus 3

Clip Flashlight 2(really one)

Sierra cirrus 3 (really 2)

Pole length
17.5" or 44.5 cm
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #54
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

I think there's general agreement (on ADV at least) that a tent advertised as being for 2 is a good size for 1. There are some exceptions. I HAVE slept 2 in a flashlight. At least it was very lightweight by the standards of 1977.

The Flashlight series is one of the reasons I put a "Year" column in the table. The various flashlights have been revised many times and I want to carefully specify which one is being measured. Do you know the year of yours?

EDIT: I'm rounding your cm measurements up to the next full cm. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2RideMore View Post
Clip Flashlight 2(really one)

Sierra cirrus 3 (really 2)

Pole length
17.5" or 44.5 cm

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 05:09 AM
Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #55
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Great thread! I'm surprised the Eureka Apex 2XT has not been mentioned as I've seen a slew of them out there.

Anyway, mine is I think a 2007 and I just measured the poles at 18.5".

When we lived in Germany, I went to Polo and they had a tent there that packed down REALLY small and I sometimes wish I would have bought it, but it did not have a fly and was instead an all in one tent and I didn't know the functionality when I got back here.

I'm thinking about either a new tent or going the custom pole route. I'm leaning to the custom pole route as I don't even see many here that have poles short enough to fit in my panniers really easy.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #56
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm thinking about either a new tent or going the custom pole route. I'm leaning to the custom pole route as I don't even see many here that have poles short enough to fit in my panniers really easy.
Another placeholder in the first post of this thread is for a tent-pole tube, i.e. a tube like a tool-tube mounted beside or below hard cases.

I have read that people have them or had them at the past. I cannot find a build thread or even a picture of a tent-pole tube.

It's an option, but if someone can find a thread that we can point to that would be great.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #57
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Yeah I've got a tube already that has my tire irons, bead breaker, and patch kit.

I can get my poles in the pannier, but they go in diagonally, and I was hoping to make it a more "clean" fit.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #58
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Another placeholder in the first post of this thread is for a tent-pole tube, i.e. a tube like a tool-tube mounted beside or below hard cases.

I have read that people have them or had them at the past. I cannot find a build thread or even a picture of a tent-pole tube.

It's an option, but if someone can find a thread that we can point to that would be great.

Thanks.
Again, thanks-

I am all perked up with interest to see or hear about a nice, simple tent pole tube or clever packing ideas outside of panniers or drybags/compression sacks.

It's one of those things always in the back of my mind, but I'm on the fence for the aesthetics of the "usual suspect" omnipresent Home Depot plumbing pipe affairs. (rather snooty, I know, but I am what I am, lol)

Perhaps a nice wrap of carbon fibre, ala forum member ebrabaek, would make a piece of water pipe look much more appealing...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #59
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 796
Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE

Purchased my 2012 Eureka Mountain Pass 2XTE because it packs to 16 inches and vestibule drip line extends beyond tent floor. 16" alum poles.

DYNOBOB screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 10:21 PM
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #60
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
I've got some:

MSR Hubba 2008 (but I'm pretty sure they haven't changed) 49cm/ 19.25", 2 hubs
Black Diamond Mesa 2009 (but I'm pretty sure they haven't changed) 54cm/ 21.25", 1 hub
Mountain Hardwear Super Mega Ultralight 2 2012 (yes it is very light) 53cm/21", 1 hub, one bend

That's not all my tents either but you already have the others on the list...go ahead ask me about tents

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote