ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #76
worwig
Lost in Georgia
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
As far as being any better than "the free OSMand that is is coded from," wouldn't it have to be, by the simple fact that it is so much more than just that?
OSMand has been evolving over time with a lot of nice features. It has gotten easier to use and the rendering engine can be set to produce maps that are higher contrast. As far as I know, DSM is a branch of an old version of OSMand.
And if that is so, the new version uses maps that are in a different format. It appears the old format OSM maps are no longer updated. So DSM may not get updated OSM maps.
Unless I missed something.
__________________
Hog mountain Weather
worwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #77
janliness
Battery Discharger
 
janliness's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn27 View Post
Seems a dedicated GPS unit is preferred here, but can anyone suggest good Iphone apps for GPS functionality when out of cell tower range?
I use MotionX GPS. Easy to download maps for offline use. Easy to follow tracks, easy to make tracks. Email GPX files both ways.

PM me if you want to see some tracks I've done. I import maps from dualsportmaps.com all the time

I don't really watch my GPS/Phone while riding, but pull over and take a break. I have the feeling I'd do the same with a dedicated unit...

later,
jan
__________________
Vrroooom!
'08 KTM 690 Enduro (Dorito)
BMW R1100RT (Turtle) (sold but not forgotten)
janliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #78
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gplutt's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Have you tested its waterproofness?
Rainy Seattle day, after about two hours.


Inside.



The screen fogged a bit, and even if I took my gloves off the touch screen didn't work very well through the plastic. It stayed dry, though. I usually just keep my phone in my pocket and listen to the turn by turn, anyways. Couldn't go wrong for 15 dollars on Amazon.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #79
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27
 
ADWrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: S/E Wisconsin
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
I use MotionX GPS. Easy to download maps for offline use. Easy to follow tracks, easy to make tracks. Email GPX files both ways.

PM me if you want to see some tracks I've done. I import maps from dualsportmaps.com all the time

I don't really watch my GPS/Phone while riding, but pull over and take a break. I have the feeling I'd do the same with a dedicated unit...

later,
jan
So this iPhone MotionX GPS app (not the "...drive" version?) will accept the same GPX track files that can be loaded into a Garmin? If so that's pretty cool. Do you know it the app allows non-cellular GPS tracking? If all this is true it could save me a few bucks on a real Garmin, at least for now. Jan I'd love to see some of your tracks.
__________________
Only God decides the LENGH of your life, but you decide its WIDTH.
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #80
DigDig
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Western Massachusetts
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn27 View Post
So this iPhone MotionX GPS app (not the "...drive" version?) will accept the same GPX track files that can be loaded into a Garmin? If so that's pretty cool. Do you know it the app allows non-cellular GPS tracking? If all this is true it could save me a few bucks on a real Garmin, at least for now. Jan I'd love to see some of your tracks.
Yes the Motion X accepts GPX, you email your route to them, and it comes back in an email to you that you can open on your phone in Motion X. It's easier then it sounds. Yes it has very good non Cellular tracking that I use a lot. It's great if you have an iPhone already and are too cheap to buy a GPS. " drive" is their turn by turn directions app, together a great combination for few $$. Been using them both for years with my biologic waterproof case. ( http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4 )
__________________
'10 G650GS

“It was a woman who drove me to drink, but I never wrote to thank her.” W.C. Fields
DigDig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #81
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27
 
ADWrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: S/E Wisconsin
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
I use MotionX GPS. Easy to download maps for offline use. Easy to follow tracks, easy to make tracks. Email GPX files both ways.

PM me if you want to see some tracks I've done. I import maps from dualsportmaps.com all the time

I don't really watch my GPS/Phone while riding, but pull over and take a break. I have the feeling I'd do the same with a dedicated unit...

later,
jan
Jan, PM sent.
__________________
Only God decides the LENGH of your life, but you decide its WIDTH.
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #82
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27
 
ADWrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: S/E Wisconsin
Oddometer: 82
cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDig View Post
Yes the Motion X accepts GPX, you email your route to them, and it comes back in an email to you that you can open on your phone in Motion X. It's easier then it sounds. Yes it has very good non Cellular tracking that I use a lot. It's great if you have an iPhone already and are too cheap to buy a GPS. " drive" is their turn by turn directions app, together a great combination for few $$. Been using them both for years with my biologic waterproof case. ( http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4 )
Janliness emailed me a track and I was able to import it into the iPhone app. I also was able to download a .GPX track from someone's website **credit to Cannontracks (http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic....029119c3776b8d), email it to myself and open it with the app on my iPhone. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to be able to do.

This app is really impressing me with what it does. With a good mounting setup and external power to the phone I don't see myself buying a Garmin anytime soon.
ADWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #83
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Gladwin, Mi
Oddometer: 1,831
Anybody use one of these:



It's an Ultimate Add-ons waterproof case for Ipad.

http://www.ultimate-mobiles.co.uk/ta...case___801.htm

I was wondering if anyone had used it and had anything to say about it. I would like to attach it to the top of my tank box and use it with my Acer Iconia A500 android tablet which is about the same size as an ipad.
__________________
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2001 Yamaha TW200 (Wife's bike)
2005 Yamaha FZ6

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #84
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

Don't disagree that there are other apps for navigation, I've tried some of them. Found them to be of as limited worth as Google Maps. I have not tried the Tomtom app, but since the app costs almost as much as a new Tomtom on sale, not going to be trying it.
You left me confused there.
Yes, TomTom is mother of road GPS software, it's version for Android with maps for all US cost about 50 Euro. How is it same with TomTom Rider price? Garmin (ex-NAvigon) for Android road for 40 countries Europe (maps included) costs about 60 Euro. Sygic for all world (maps and maps update included) costs about 65 Euro now.
Maverick for offroad nav costs about 5 Euro and you can do any kind of geocaching and hooking up different maps (just example, it is not only one software for that)
TomTom Rider GPS device costs 400 Euro, OK, old model on sale it will be 200 Euro with outdated maps. Garmin 350 costs 400 Euro. So....
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #85
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Gladwin, Mi
Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
You left me confused there.
Yes, TomTom is mother of road GPS software, it's version for Android with maps for all US cost about 50 Euro. How is it same with TomTom Rider price? Garmin (ex-NAvigon) for Android road for 40 countries Europe (maps included) costs about 60 Euro. Sygic for all world (maps and maps update included) costs about 65 Euro now.
Maverick for offroad nav costs about 5 Euro and you can do any kind of geocaching and hooking up different maps (just example, it is not only one software for that)
TomTom Rider GPS device costs 400 Euro, OK, old model on sale it will be 200 Euro with outdated maps. Garmin 350 costs 400 Euro. So....
You can buy a car model gps for under 100$ usually. I think that's what he's getting at. comparing a phone to a Tom Tom Rider is apples and oranges...
__________________
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S
2001 Yamaha TW200 (Wife's bike)
2005 Yamaha FZ6

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #86
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,197
well, buying outdated gps with small screen for 90 bucks is not same with fresh software with map update guarantee for 50 bucks, so...this is not comparable either. Most expensive GPS worth nothing without good maps.Its just nothing is comparabld then. I rode probably 30000 km with my Android Galaxy and Sygic software in rain and sh.t and never had problem. Used hard waterproof shell from Ultimate addons. As for offroad it is well known that neither TomTom Rider 1 nor 5 able to perform offroad navigation. Judt no such function.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #87
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Oddometer: 127
best app VS. GPS for mexico and central america

Hey Guys ,
I have read all 6 pages of this thread and still not sure what I should use. I have a HTC EVO 4G that is not on any cell network that I use for pandora radio in the house on wifi.

I also have a Iphone 5 sprint but dont want to roam outside the USA. I would like to use the evo 4G and load the mini sd card with maps that can get me through central america on the built in GPS signal.

I have a rugged case and DC power on the KLR.

Does anyone have experience with no cell service on a smart phone GPS in central america?


Or should I just buy a real gps?


Blake
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #88
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,197
It does not matter are you in LA or Asia or Siberia. If your phone got GPS module - it will work. Your HTC phone have this module, so all you need is offline navigation app and memory card and SIM card that phone will start with. Switch off sign to network to manual and wrong one (it is easiest way) and you will not be using any traffic and will not be able to answer any calls = no roaming.

This is one variant.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Oddometer: 127
Ok Cool , What program/Maps work best in this mode in Mexico and central america? Also aside from showing my location can I enter a address and get driving directions?
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #90
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Oddometer: 3,197
Yes, you can have any kind of navigation - there is turn by turn road navigation, there is loads or dirt cheap geocaching kind of navigation (but maps supplied usually by community) etc.

For turn by turn - choice are mostly should be based on maps quality and coverage.
Go to each site and check maps coverage by country
Teleatlas maps based.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/maps/world-maps/#tab:tab3

Garmin (navtech too) maps based:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/ka...ten/index.html

Teleatlas maps based:
http://www.sygic.com/en/business:map-coverage

this is from top of my head. I am sure colleagues in US and LA will advice more.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014