Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #4156
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Rod the way you're describing it, I think I need to start spending weekends in that hostel, it is close enough to my favorite bar, where you took the picture. I think I might have been there with you, although my memory is a little hazy as well...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #4157
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
The night before, when I'd gone back to the hostel I went to the dorm and got into my bunk.
One of the girls started talking to me about just general stuff and I sat up.
The other girls then popped their heads over the edges of their bunks and joined in. No guys...this is not ending up THAT way...they were all 20--I suggest a 56 year old is as threatening as mint tea but not as tasty.
They were on their way to Tuva, to join an archaological excavation and were all I think Czechs.
One in particular was very chatty and beautiful, and leaning on the edge of her bunk, and it wasn't until we'd been talking a little while that I realised her head was ABOVE some feet. Either someone with very small feet was under her..or she is the most flexible person I've ever met. She was folded double and was leaning on her folded hands, which were across her shins.

I asked her.." Are you a dancer?", She replied that she was a med student who'd been studying ballet from being a child, but when she matured she became too "womanly"..i.e too curvy in the chest and knew -and was told-she'd never really make it. She did have a knockout figure. So she left to become a doctor. Good girl!

When I got back to the hostel the next day they'd gone, but she'd left me a note on my bunk with her mail addy (no! you can't have it) and to visit-I assume with wifey- if I was ever in her part of the world.
I mailed her when I got home and she responded with funny mail and a pic I must find and post. Flexible?I truly didn't know it was possible... I'll leave it to your imagination.
No, it's not remotely saucy....unless your thing is twisting balloons into impossible shapes...

I'll leave you with that for today.
What a tease.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #4158
Hermy
Where's this road go?

Oddometer: 19
Sorry

Quote:
Or the same bloke's viewed it 2 million times .GO TO BED!!
That was me. I'm off to bed now.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #4159
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Now, Rod, no international city contests here surely (it's national for starters, and then there's no contest as far as I'm concerned :P ), but if you liked it in Russia and thought Moscow a beautiful city, I invite you to St.Petersburg, for a fresh perspective :)

Better do it in summer 'cause if you get lucky and get a sunny day, you'll like it even more (you will have to be careful not to faint from the sheer concentration of female beauty along Nevsky prospect though) ; but then again, if it won't be sunny, you'd feel right at home weather-wise

You can drive a bit North and meet up with EtronX and crew, or something...
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #4160
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Now, Rod, no international city contests here surely (it's national for starters, and then there's no contest as far as I'm concerned :P ), but if you liked it in Russia and thought Moscow a beautiful city, I invite you to St.Petersburg, for a fresh perspective :)

Better do it in summer 'cause if you get lucky and get a sunny day, you'll like it even more (you will have to be careful not to faint from the sheer concentration of female beauty along Nevsky prospect though) ; but then again, if it won't be sunny, you'd feel right at home weather-wise

You can drive a bit North and meet up with EtronX and crew, or something...
Be careful what you wish for Mbravo...I'm kicking round a plan to revisit Russia next year..

And surely you've heard..the sun shines constantly in Scotland...its just that it usually behind that feckin big black cloud dumping the rain...before it goes over to Ireland and dumps it on Fray Bentos.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #4161
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
....unless your thing is twisting balloons into impossible shapes.....
well........

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #4162
Tony P
Doddery Old Fart

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Rod the way you're describing it, I think I need to start spending weekends in that hostel, it is close enough to my favorite bar, where you took the picture. I think I might have been there with you, although my memory is a little hazy as well...
Yep. You were there. I remember well. We picked up with you at Scandinavia, Booze Bub, Papa's, then ending back at Bourbon St where Rod and I had started. A quiet night compared to some with you.

I hope my memory does't start going when I get to your ages!
Tony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #4163
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 635
Damn you Rod Currie. Damn you to hell.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #4164
Snarfy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Although I won't be doing such rides as Walter and Rod, I will be in Moscow and St. Petersburg in 2 months (may 2013) on my good old 1150GS.

Who knows, maybe I will be bumping in to some of you guys !
Snarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #4165
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Be careful what you wish for Mbravo...I'm kicking round a plan to revisit Russia next year..
It'd be an honor; if you or anyone from this thread's cast of characters heads toward St.Petersburg, PM me and I'd do my best to show you the city, at the very least, or help otherwise, provided I'm not on some adventure of my own. (tbh any ADVer in need and in these parts is welcome).

Quote:
And surely you've heard..the sun shines constantly in Scotland...its just that it usually behind that feckin big black cloud dumping the rain...before it goes over to Ireland and dumps it on Fray Bentos.
Yeah, I know, I briefly visited the headlands of Tweed and such, though not on a bike sadly, which will need to be remedied some time. Same thing here - we get nice sunny summers, unless you happen to be busy in the office that day.
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #4166
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
...I want to go back and take wifey for her birthday as we have a "fuck the expense" night once in a while and Moscow would have to qualify under that premise. It won't be today as this is her birthday...
Happy birthday mrs towrope

Poverty is the mother of invention.

Phrog screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 01:59 PM
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #4167
Beam(st)er
Miss Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Abs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
A separate thing I want to ask everyone of this report - which, if any, bikes had ABS and would you consider it useful to leave it enabled for fast, straight gravel or steppe sections??
Hi Bli55, My X Country has ABS but I ALWAYS switch it off. Even on tarmac.

Quote:
ABS: For me: Absolutely definitely not. I've ridden long enough now to know how much brake to pull on and don't want any device calibrated for road use over-riding my control. ABS adds to unsprung weight, you'd undoubtedly (IMHO) smash the sensors anyway in th terrain we'd crossed. I see no benefits and lots of drawbacks.
Guys?
I wouldn't worry about the unsprung weight. It's only a few grams and it's mounted close to the centre of the hub.
And my ABS sensors were not smashed after this trip... But my bike was never thrown into a bongo truck.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #4168
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam(st)er View Post
I wouldn't worry about the unsprung weight. It's only a few grams and it's mounted close to the centre of the hub.
And my ABS sensors were not smashed after this trip... But my bike was never thrown into a bongo truck.
Touche Mr Currie!!!!!!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #4169
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
8 were ordered to be built, but only 7 made it into concrete.
Another one was built in Warsaw, as a 'gift' or, as Poles observed it, as 'guarding tower' . Later it was commonly called 'Stalin's tomb'. Official name - Palace of Culture and Science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_...re_and_Science

mario33 screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 03:08 PM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #4170
Edge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
650 x country

Extreme is only phrase that suits this ride
Question
Is there a link to the bike build on the 650 X country.
Tough bike