User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,461
Odyssey Battery Woes

I left my Garmin 478 on my bike for the last few days. Not on, but just plugged in where it will charge. Somehow, this drained my PC680, bought in Sept of 2012, to the point where it wouldn't start my bike this morning. Wasn't dead, in that dash lights would come on, but rat-tat-tat-tat-tat when I tried to start.

I tried hooking up the Sears 2A/4A auto charger I have, and it just kept saying "check battery"....would never go into charging mode.

Any ideas? Different charger? I'm kind of shocked that the trickle charging from a GPS would kill the fabled Odyssey battery.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I left my Garmin 478 on my bike for the last few days. Not on, but just plugged in where it will charge. Somehow, this drained my PC680, bought in Sept of 2012, to the point where it wouldn't start my bike this morning. Wasn't dead, in that dash lights would come on, but rat-tat-tat-tat-tat when I tried to start.

I tried hooking up the Sears 2A/4A auto charger I have, and it just kept saying "check battery"....would never go into charging mode.

Any ideas? Different charger? I'm kind of shocked that the trickle charging from a GPS would kill the fabled Odyssey battery.

Did you try a bump start?
Or a jump start.

Sounds more like a flaky charger if it won't even start to charge.

That is odd about the GPS taking out the battery. One of the reasons I prefer switch accessory plugs though.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
You probably have to use a manual charger. I think the Battery tenders are the same in that they wont recognize a dead battery.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 213
In my work and play battery challenges are common, the smart chargers are great for not cooking a battery into oblivion by leaving them hooked up but I keep an old manual charger around for the very scenario your having right now.

If I remember right I've gotten a smart charger to start charging by leaving the headlight on when I hook it up? The danger in that is cooking your ignition system on some bikes if you forget to turn it off in a few minutes.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,818
Charge it correctly or you risk ending up with a less capable battery , assuming it even charges up with your charger.

page 15-16

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...1_0411_000.pdf

and also this.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...ersOCT2012.pdf

Now, ive been using them since 2005, they have served me well, but I try to NOT have to charge them with anything other than the vehicle they are running in.

They need a certain voltage, from the manual posted above:

Step 1 Charger output voltage
Determining the charger output voltage is the most important
step in the charger qualification process.
If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or
more than 15V for a 12V battery, then do not use the charger.
For 24V battery systems, the charger output voltage should
be between 28.4V and 30V. If the charger output voltage falls
within these voltage limits when the battery approaches a
fully charged state, proceed to Step 2, otherwise pick another charger.

Step 2 Charger type - automatic or manual
The two broad types of small, portable chargers available
today are classified as either automatic or manual. Automatic
chargers can be further classified as those that charge the
battery up to a certain voltage and then shut off and those
that charge the battery up to a certain voltage and then switch
to a lower float (trickle) voltage.
An example of the first type of automatic charger is one that
charges a battery up to 14.7V, then immediately shuts off.
An example of the second type of automatic charger would
bring the battery up to 14.7V, then switches to a float (trickle)
voltage of 13.6V; it will stay at that level indefinitely. The
second type of automatic charger is preferred, because the
first type of charger will undercharge the battery.
A manual charger typically puts out either a single voltage or
single current level continuously and must be switched off
manually to prevent battery overcharge. Should you choose
to use a manual charger with your ODYSSEY battery, do
not exceed charge times suggested in Table 5 below. It is
extremely important to ensure the charge voltage does not
exceed 15V
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Garmin battery

My GPS kept drawing my battery down too. It turns out the battery in the Garmin needed to be replaced.

I found a cheap one on ebay.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
What 'Flake said...

...Odyssey needs the Odyssey brand charger to give the proper full voltage to fully recharge them.

I own three Odyssey batteries and have one of their trickle chargers and one of their big full blown chargers.

It's worth investing in one of their brand chargers if you run an Odyssey.

They work great when you do.

Good Luck.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Friend of mine is going to meet me later tonight with one of those portable battery jumper units. The bike is parked where I can't get a car over to it. If I can get the bike started, I'll take it on a spirited ride for a while, and hopefully charge it back up enough so that it's good to go tomorrow.

I looked at one of those Odyssey chargers a while back, but seemed like $70 that really could be better spent given that I have three or four chargers around. Just sucks to buy yet another one.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
My GPS kept drawing my battery down too. It turns out the battery in the Garmin needed to be replaced.

I found a cheap one on ebay.

It has to be something like that. I've had issues with the 478, as the first one I had had constant charging issues, that it would never fully charge a battery. It was replaced by Garmin, but now this.

I used to leave my 276C on my bike year round, and never once had an issue with it draining the battery.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
URAL CT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
+1 on what 'flakes & 10/10th said

Learned my lesson the hard way...trashed 2 Odyssey batteries using a run of the mill trickle charger. Got an Odyssey charger & everything's been peachy so far. I use it to charge & maintain my PC680s for my bikes and a PC925 that powers my CPAP. Good luck
URAL CT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Here's the problem I think.

You have a small battery and it's really discharged.

Your smart charger is seeing a problem and it's designed to not burn out a cars electrical system, so it's in protection mode.

Here's how to get it to charge.

Hook another battery up in Parallel to the 680 and onto the charger.

The charger will flip on because it sees the good battery, and it will charge the 680 as well as the other battery. When you get enough charge on the 680 you can take off the other battery and the 680 will charge.

Many Odyssey and Optima batteries have been thrown out because the smart charger won't switch on. If you look far enough, you'll find this info on Odysseys page. I would not own any other battery. I just put a 80# Odyssey in my LandCruiser.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 879
Spagthorpe...

...I feel your pain. It sucks.

I just sucked it up and bought the Odyssey charger. I already had THREE other trickle chargers and I didn't want to drop the coin either, but it was worth the investment in the long run.

Hang in there.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:

amazing how some folks could blame the battery

think of a battery like a storage device like a bucket of water. let's say you start out with a full bucket of water. but it develops a tiny pin hole leak ... after a few days with a tiny pin hole in bucket leaking .. surprise.. bucket of water is now empty when you want a big drink.

AGM batteries needs to be charged 14.3 to 14.7V to achieve full capacity. but slightly reduces cycle life .. charge to 14.2v for longer life.

problem develops when AGM battery never makes it to full charge, then internal resistance increases, then performance drops all at once.

battery tenders that doesn't terminate charge after 14.7v is reached will overcharge your AGM and kill it. quality tenders will stop all current when XX volts are reached.... low quality tenders will charge long as it's plugged in... eventually killing your AGM.

for LOTS more info... visit my LiFePO4 testing thread ... link in sig
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I measured the voltage when I got home, 10.5V. Hooked the little porta-charger up to the bike, it wouldn't start it. Same solenoid sounds.

I know I'll get chastised here, but I hooked a Battery Tender Jr to it....I know...but it at least recognized the battery and says it's charging. I know it's not ideal, but maybe it will get it going in the morning. I checked the output voltage on the Sears charger, and it's only 12V anyway.

I will go ahead and order the damn Odyssey charger. A place on Amazon has it for $68 plus shipping. I doubt I'll find it locally. Also means I won't be riding the rest of the week or weekend till it gets here which also sucks. My cage gets 15mpg.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
I measured the voltage when I got home, 10.5V. Hooked the little porta-charger up to the bike, it wouldn't start it. Same solenoid sounds.

I know I'll get chastised here, but I hooked a Battery Tender Jr to it....I know...but it at least recognized the battery and says it's charging. I know it's not ideal, but maybe it will get it going in the morning. I checked the output voltage on the Sears charger, and it's only 12V anyway.

I will go ahead and order the damn Odyssey charger. A place on Amazon has it for $68 plus shipping. I doubt I'll find it locally. Also means I won't be riding the rest of the week or weekend till it gets here which also sucks. My cage gets 15mpg.
you don't need the Odyssey charger unless you just want to ... stay away from battery tenders for a bulk recharge. they don't put out enough amps.

use most any automotive charger about 6-10 amps ... preferably a dumb charger. most of the intelligent auto chargers are designed for auto size battery and may not work properly on a motorcycle size battery. when charging a deeply discharged battery, objective is to bring voltage back up slowly during a reform charge at .01C .. then if voltage comes back up to normal low range. switch to normal charger for bulk charge. which is the stage your battery will accept about 1C current, until battery gains in volts and starts tapering current.

just make sure charger doesn't put out more than 14.7v after bulk charge stage is achieved. which is the first 80% or so of charge. then battery will naturally taper acceptance of current until 14.7v is reached. then if charge has a float mode, all current will stop once set voltage is reached.

with a dumb charger simply make sure voltage doesn't exceed 14.7v for AGM .. yank charger when battery reaches that volt.

deeply discharged PB, including AGM may never regain full capacity again. when PB discharges too far, sulfation happens quickly, taking a special charger to regain capacity.

LOTS more info in my LiFePO4 battery testing thread... link in sig

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 10:26 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote