Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,264
About 80,000 miles on my Oxtar Infinities, on and off the pavement. No problems. The buckle configuration was weird at first, but adapted to it quickly. I might try the Aerostitch Combats next unless someone can give me a good argument not to. The Oxtars will be hard to top.

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Had my Oxtars 5 years and loved them right out of the box. They've only gotten better. I can wear them all day on or off the bike. Perfect for adv touring as they're comfortable enough to hike around in a bit when you stop. 100% waterproof and even in brutal Texas summers they're tolerable. To me they're the boots I always grab and will be wearing them on my S America ride. Good investment IMO.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.748982,-101.896079
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Own the Sidi On Road for the last 70,000 miles and are Excellent; Friend owns the Infinity's and swears by them.

The Sidi Adventures get real good reviews that I've seen - can't go wrong with either IMO
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,264
Thinking back I can't ever recall an Italian boot that I didn't like. It seemed like it was just a matter of trade off between protection or comfort. The more of one the less you get of the other.

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Thinking back I can't ever recall an Italian boot that I didn't like. It seemed like it was just a matter of trade off between protection or comfort. The more of one the less you get of the other.

This.

The Infinities are like bedroom slippers compared to the Sidi's. I have about 60,000 miles on my Oxtars, and have yet to find a suitable replacement. The Sidi's offer more protection, but I don't think they're very comfortable off the bike. As in, "crap I have to walk into the gas station to pay because the card reader is broken". I'm not sure if they break in very much.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #21
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
I've had a pair of the Oxtar Infiinity's for 5-6 years. I think it's the best all around compromise in and adventure/touring boot that I've found. The same manufacturer makes the Savannah boot for BMW, which typically sells for a bit more money, but sometimes BMW dealers have specials on their gear and you can actually buy them for less than the TCX's. I've never had an issue with the buckles.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Would you guys (who own and like TCX) consider Sidi Adventure boots as a replacement?
Do you think Sidi are better or worse?

Price is comparable in Europe.

Cheers.
Bought the Sidi GoreTex™ Adventures as a replacement to my beat to hell Oxtar Infinities.

The Sidi is a much more substantial boot. The Sidis are less flexible than the Oxtars, but I think they're every bit as comfortable. After wearing the Sidis for a few thousand miles, I put my Oxtars back on to go do something or another. The Oxtars felt like they offered very little protection in comparison to the Sidis. Don't get me wrong. I loved my Oxtars, it's a great boot, but if the price is the same, I'd buy the Sidis again.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Warranty Update

Thought I would give an update to the warranty repair needed from TCX. After contacting them they were very quick and responsive to my problem and they have been super nice and reasonable. Even though the warranty had no time limit on it, TCX did respond that since the boots were over a year old they could not help me. I responded that I was unhappy with their warranty denial as the boots had not been ridden hard or abused. They then responded that they wanted happy customers and if I would send them the boots they would look at them. During the waiting period between responses I found a local cobbler who said it was an easy fix and had them repaired in one day for only a few dollars-- which was cheaper than shipping cost to TCX. My conclusion, TCX will stand behind their products. Also, in my opinion these are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned and the safety features give me a "little" extra protection over many other boots. Just did a 4 hour ride in 30 degree temperatures at 70-75 mph with nothing more than a little coolness in the toes. Wore a thin wicking liner under regular calf-high socks and I think wearing heavy socks would have been warmer. Should note here I first tried the BMW boot and loved it but the boots were too small and BMW did not make a 13 in the Santiago so ordered the TCX and could not be happier. Will buy again and will wear them on my 2012 Alaska trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bucks View Post
Love the TCX Infninity that I have had for 25 months and 24,000 miles. These boots fit great out of the box and are very comfortable for all day riding. They also have some good safety features for the foot, ankle and shin. The boots have held up well until this week when I noticed the sole on one boot was separating from the upper. My warranty does not have a time period on it so anxious to see how this claim is handled. It appears to be a manufacturing defect as the whole sole is just coming off starting from the middle and working towards the toe and heel. Boot has not been abused and I ride on road and cross country only. Have contacted TCX in New Hampshire and waiting for their reply and if they will repair, replace or whatever. Just sent them several pictures of the boot with sole separating and the purchase receipt. So far they have been very responsive and easy to work with. If they will back up their products I will highly recommend them for safety and comfort. Will update what happens when they respond.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,287
TCX is a part of "COSMAS" which also makes In the Field Firefighters boots. When I met up with a "smoke jumper" and realized he was wearing the "Vulcans" I started thinking what a great cross over they would be for riding and hiking as full time on the road I don't have room for spare boots, only moccasins for around the camp. They are truly incredible pull ons to of course the highest standards including toe protector and so forth.
I did a short write up with more info on this recent entry of ours in the Journal I have been keeping these past 6 years.
Thought it might be of some interest.

Stay well, Ara and Spirit

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
notrivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Pretty but cheap!

I purchased my TCX's when they were Oxtars for half the cost they are now - but considered from the standpoint of reliability, they were not a steal.

Initially, I was thrilled. They are very comfortable, sizing is wide but right, because thick socks are always best - very attractive, good traction, good protection, good velcro, nice leather and initially waterproof. But on my tour they began to fall apart in summer weather. First, the rubber toe guards cracked and peeled away, revealing an ugly seam. Then in 105 degrees, they delaminated, the right boot sole flopping off. Duck Tape to the rescue. A year later, they delaminated again despite expert repair. Now, one of the buckles has popped out, and they are unusable. I intend to again repair them considering the cost of replacement.

Other quibbles: really cold when under 50, so much so that I purchased an alternate pair of thinsulate boots. The buckles never really gave me a sense of security, they always seemed too fragile. And the last time in a rain storm my feet were definitely getting damp.

I would buy them again - IF I were rich for "around town", as they're walking comfort is GREAT. But as a primary boot, I heartily recommend you get a Sidi or Gaerne. At this price point, considering the lack of long-term quality, TCX is robbing you.
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
Uncle Bucks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
TCX Infinity boot update

In December 2011 my post was about a problem with the sole on my TCX Infinity boots. Since then I have put another 20,000 miles on them, been to Alaska and back, ridden in most any weather you could run into and the boots have held up very well. Temperatures from 20's to 108. Endless hours with wet and cold but my feet were always dry and comfortable. Knowing when it was going to be cold I wore a thin synthetic liner sock with a thin merino wool sock and this dual sock worked great without being too tight. If it helps, I ride a 2006 1200 GS. Hope to put another 20K on them this year. If I had experienced more problems with them I too would not consider buying them again. However, would I buy these again - absolutely.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrivia View Post
I would buy them again - IF I were rich for "around town", as they're walking comfort is GREAT. But as a primary boot, I heartily recommend you get a Sidi or Gaerne. At this price point, considering the lack of long-term quality, TCX is robbing you.
I replaced mine in a similar state of falling apart (even after multiple repairs), with Gaerne Balance Oiled, and couldn't be happier. It is a much better product, I regret only that I wasted money repairing the TCXs. I also have a couple other pairs of TCX boots, and only the race boot is holding up well. Based on the quality and love apparent in my Gaernes, they'll get all my future boot business.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Sorry to hear of the issues...

My "Oxtar" Inf's have about 35,000 miles on them and have been great. One of the scuff guard patches on the exterior pinky toe side has been coming loose due to thread wear, but to be expected from the wear and tear I've put on them. Only gripe is the latches - fiddly and several times have managed to get the cross bar out of it's slot and it gets wedged down behind the latch - can be a pain to get it out when trying to take the boots off.

Overall they've been excellent boots for traveling, and the ease of walking in them has been perfect for long trips.

They have continued to soften up and due to that I've decided to relegate them to less heavy off-road use and just bought a new pair of Sidi Adventure Goretex for the heavier duty stuff. Sidi's look to be excellent and heavier duty but should be for $500...

TCX's new Desert Goretex looks like a potentially good boot for slightly more moola

LoneStar screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 04:37 PM
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
Sorry to hear of the issues...

My "Oxtar" Inf's have about 35,000 miles on them and have been great. One of the scuff guard patches on the exterior pinky toe side has been coming loose due to thread wear, but to be expected from the wear and tear I've put on them.
That's about the mileage where mine started falling apart. By 45k a quarter of the stitching was falling out, had them repaired, got another 5-10k out of them. This is unacceptable to me at the price point. I paid enough for them that I really should be able to eke out more than two years of service.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
That's about the mileage where mine started falling apart. By 45k a quarter of the stitching was falling out, had them repaired, got another 5-10k out of them. This is unacceptable to me at the price point. I paid enough for them that I really should be able to eke out more than two years of service.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm currently on my first trip wearing the new Sidi Adventure Goretex and just spent the first day in them. Stiffer but comfortable. I need to put some good insoles in them...