Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #1411
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
what i cant figure out is how much space this will all take up. my hammock alone is almost as big as my tent is all compressed, including the rain fly. and i have room for my boots, helmet, and jacket either in the tent or vestibule...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #1412
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
In regards to storage, yes a tent can give you storage space on the ground but in a hammock, you would hang items from the suspension. The are other option, like the JRB gear hammock which doubles as a pack cover. IIRC, Eno makes a "pouch" to hang from the suspension. Many ways to skin the cat, do to speak.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1413
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
i see a lot of hammock set up pics. what about all packed up pics? and how many "season" set up do you have in the pic...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #1414
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
i see a lot of hammock set up pics. what about all packed up pics? and how many "season" set up do you have in the pic...
The only extra item that i think would add to size being bigger than tent is an underquilt. The sleeping bag is the same, the tarp and hammock is as you say similar to a small tent. And I guess an underquilt would be like replacing a mattress or pad.

I have yet to hammock, and many that do say they won't go back to a tent. My biggest anticipation with this is how I'll store my gear and boots and if I want to change clothes. Although I've seen very large tarps used that touch ground on either side and the ends can be closed in.
If I sleep well and enjoy hanging I can see using one of the very large tarps.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #1415
Brajole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hennesy Hammock. Bought from their website at a discount, discontinued item because of the color scheme. It was around $90

Use it everywhere, for me better than a tent, you're up off the ground.
I do suggest an inflatable mat for increased comfort and heat insulation.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #1416
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Are the under quilts better? I'm not going all in just yet. I figured I would try out what works and go from there. My tent packs pretty small so if all this hammock gear gets to be too much it will just be a summer hang out spot...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
...I've spent a few hrs on the hammock forum the last few days. I'm gonna try to ignore that place until I get a little more experience, as they talk about dutch clips, whoopie slings, amsteel, and a host of other things that I have no idea what they mean.
You ARE new to hammock camping and while there is no need to get overly complicated there is a learning curve. I travel to enjoy the journey and camp so comfort is everything. If my tent were smaller than my Hammock and tarp, I'd consider the tent too tiny.

I found that pads are of the Devil...even if they work to keep you warm YMMV. The combination of a pad and quickly after an underquilt (UQ) with a regular sleeping bag is the way I started. I settled on a Kelty 12x12 tarp, an Arrowhead Equipment (AHE) New River UQ, with my old Primaloft mummy, and all on my Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) hammock. Worked like a charm once I sorted it all out in the backyard lab (took some patience). Then I headed out on the bike and found it all way too bulky for anything other than an overnighter.

Now I have all hammock backpacker high speed low drag stuff;
WBBB 1.1 Dbl with adjustable webbing.
Hammock Gear 20 degree Incubator UQ and Burrow TQ.
AHE Toxoway tarp.
Assorted set up gear that uses NiteIze adjustable bungees for the tarp and moto gear (dual use stuff).

It all is smaller packing and lighter than my tent/ground pad/sleeping bag. The sleeping comfort is bested only by my sleep # bed and not by much. I went at this like a light(ish) weight backpacking set up with as much dual use as possible being huge. The NiteIze bungees secure stuff to my bike and are used on all 6 connectors for the tarp. The WBBB adjustable webbing works with any biner (Dutch clips are nice but not required)...beats the snot out of whoopie slings etc for simplicity.

As for changing cloths and bathing (handi wipes), I do this in my zipped up hammock with the tarp front porch (I carry trekking poles because of being a gimp) closed. Is it complicated? Yes getting it all worked out is but not too much and once you have it sorted is nothing at all. Expensive? Yes but it does not need to be overly so and besides what is years of comfortable dry camp sleeping worth to you?

As far as Hammock Forums and all the complicated stuff, it helps to remember that this is mostly a backpacking crew so, depending on philosophy (miles Vs.camping), they will tend toward ultralight stuff that we really don't need. They are also almost mad scientist tinkerers with a big emphasis on DIY...don't be intimidated by all the whoopie sling Dutch gear stuff and keep it simple. We are on iron mules here, what's a few extra ounces to us?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #1417
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,799
^^^ this. It is an adventure, after all. It's a lot like your bike, it will probably get several versions of farkles added to it before you are satisfied with the results. The basics are hammock, bug net, tarp, suspension then something to keep you warm.

I jumped in with both feet and bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe since it came with a bug net and suspension. I've since modded the suspension (on rope 1 cinch buckle with webbing), bought quilts (my synthetic mummy bag was way too large to consider for moto camping), and replaced the tarp with a larger hex.

Yes, it cost money but I've been able to sell off a few pieces of kit to recoup some of the cost. An option is to post a WTB on hammock forums to see if you can complete your kit with used equipment.

MeanMoe screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 11:17 AM
MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1418
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
I listened to a lot of (Internet) advice, Hammock Forums and ADV and did many weeks of investigating before jumping into hammock camping.

I started at the top of the food chain so I wouldn't have to deal with spending for things I didn't want to keep, or change out later.

I started with:
Warbonnet Black Bird 1.7 Double Hammock
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php
easy to use, no brainier to hang and has bug net attached with a gear shelf

Kelty 9x9 Noah's Tarp
http://www.rei.com/product/808941/kelty-noahs-tarp-9-x-9
Can be used anywhere alone or with the hammock

Wiggys Poncho Liner
http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=197&CFID=16104285&CFTOKEN=75451774
Medium pack-ability but warm for it's weight

TeWa Breeze Under Quilt
http://www.tewaunderquilts.com/
Nice light weight but has limited temperature range due to shorter length.

I used the poncho liner as my top cover and is big enough to both lay on top of and cover up with if needed for more additional warmth but packed a little big.

This set up worked fine down to about 40 degrees c. I saw the need to extend my warmth factor in the fall so have since changed my set up and added:

Hammock Gear Incubator Under Quilt
http://www.hammockgear.com/products.php?product=Incubator-40%C2%B0
A great full size under quilt that can clip to your hammock so you don't lose it while turning over in your sleep.

and replaced the poncho liner with:

Go Lite Center Zip Sleeping Bag
http://www.golite.com/gear/sleeping-bags-quilts
This version has been discontinued but packs about the size of a thermos and is used as a top quilt or a regular sleeping bag if tent camping.

Warbonnet Superfly Tarp
http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php
The tarp has doors attached so I can enjoy privacy, keep the wind out and have dry storage.

I kept the TeWa UQ, poncho liner and Kelty Noah's tarp and added a Warbonnet Traveler Single 1.7. This has become my summer set up and the other is my spring/fall set up.

Either set up packs small enough to go into the Wolfman bags on my DRZ with enough room for clothes, shower kit and spare shoes. I add a small seat bag for my Alite chair and cook gear. Very light weight set up and can go for several weeks with this kit. Yeah it's expensive but not as much as a motel room for a one week trip. Buy quality because it last and your sleep is worth it !

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #1419
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post

Hammock Gear Incubator Under Quilt
http://www.hammockgear.com/products.php?product=Incubator-40%C2%B0
A great full size under quilt that can clip to your hammock so you don't lose it while turning over in your sleep.
How do you clip the Incubator to your WBBB hammock? I'm picturing some sort of Dutch gear (or maybe something else) to clip the sides together...is that off?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #1420
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

Here's a data point for you.

This is my whole camping set-up: hammock WBBB double layer, tree straps and Whoopies, WB Edge tarp, upper (Revelation X) and lower (Leigh) down quilts. This Set-up is good for me down to the 40's. It would compress even a bit more but the compression straps bottomed out.

You also asked about under quilts and if they are better than pads. They are definitely more ergonomic and comfortable than pads. However unlike most I slept a bunch of days on my pad and it worked without too much issue for me. Not sure if my 140 pound frame made it easier to deal with or not but the pad was doable for me. One upside of the pad is that it allows you to camp on the ground if you're forced to camp where there are no hanging options.

best of luck.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #1421
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Another WBBB user. Great hammock. Only my Big Agnes tent compares wieght-wise to a fully kitted out WBBB.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #1422
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
How do you clip the Incubator to your WBBB hammock? I'm picturing some sort of Dutch gear (or maybe something else) to clip the sides together...is that off?
I use these
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutchware-quilt-hooks/

they sew on to the hammock then you can hook the uq to it.............

Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #1423
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I use these
http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/dutchware-quilt-hooks/

they sew on to the hammock then you can hook the uq to it.............
Ah thanks, do you use them on head end only or foot end too? Looks just like yet another gadget I "need" real bad.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #1424
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Cam across this thread a while back: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68683

Purchased 16 of these 4 foot military surplus aluminum antenna mast poles on eBay, lashed together some tripods (2 per leg), hung a center pole (3), and I now have a way to hang inside or outside without trees!

First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner

EvanADV screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:57 AM
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1425
Kevin C
XTZ 750

Oddometer: 54
Understanding better half
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote