Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #3196
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
The Tusk D-Flex are fairly popular on the TW200 forum. I have 2 sets (on my 2 TWs). The right side needed tweaking but I can get them to fit. They are not very expensive.

Other options are Emgo and Cycra Probends.
thanks

What did you have to tweak?
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #3197
Old White Truck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
thanks

What did you have to tweak?
First of all, don’t make your decision based on what I do. I am kind of an odd bird. Others have installed the D-flexs without tweaking.

I try to get them to fit without grinding off the alignment tit that fixes the horizontal position of the throttle, without moving the brake lever mount inward, and I like to leave a bit of the outer end flange on the rubber throttle grip (rather than cutting it off entirely).

To accommodate the above, I end up bending the angle at the end of the aluminum bar in a vice just a tad and adding a couple of spacer washers. Then it works great.

I never have any problem with the left side. The issue described above only comes into play on the throttle side. And, as I said, I believe other people have installed these hand guards with no problem.

If you do buy these, and end up having any issues at installation time, just drop me a note and I can send you photos or provide more info.

Also keep in mind that I have the stock handlebars. YMMV if you have after-market bars.

Cheers,
Old White Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #3198
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old White Truck View Post
First of all, don’t make your decision based on what I do. I am kind of an odd bird. Others have installed the D-flexs without tweaking.

I try to get them to fit without grinding off the alignment tit that fixes the horizontal position of the throttle, without moving the brake lever mount inward, and I like to leave a bit of the outer end flange on the rubber throttle grip (rather than cutting it off entirely).

To accommodate the above, I end up bending the angle at the end of the aluminum bar in a vice just a tad and adding a couple of spacer washers. Then it works great.

I never have any problem with the left side. The issue described above only comes into play on the throttle side. And, as I said, I believe other people have installed these hand guards with no problem.

If you do buy these, and end up having any issues at installation time, just drop me a note and I can send you photos or provide more info.

Also keep in mind that I have the stock handlebars. YMMV if you have after-market bars.

Cheers,
Thanks

I wont have any problem I'm pretty good at MacGyvering
I've been running with a piece of bailing wire holding my stock KLR's in place after a crash I smashed them up.
and just put tusks on mine.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #3199
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 128
I run a cheap set of universal handguards from e-bay, they are strong and fit up easy.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #3200
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
The Tusk handguards are super tough....my wife has "dropped" her TW numerous times at speeds between 20 and 50 MPH, and they have held up to the abuse.

I have never seen another bike with as much road rash as her poor little bike has.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #3201
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
I believe the TW200 rear rim is size 4.50-14. Is this correct?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 01:07 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #3202
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I've searched a bit, but I can't find the information. What size is the rear rim on the TW200?

Spud
4.50x14
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #3203
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
4.50x14
As always, thank you for you prompt and helpful reply. I just found the rim size on a parts diagram; that's why I edited my previous post.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #3204
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
As always, thank you for you prompt and helpful reply. I just found the rim size on a parts diagram; that's why I edited my previous post.

Spud
Anytime, Senor Spud. I'm not sure what you're up to but the rear rim is also an oddball in that it has 32 spokes. Check your spoke count if you're thinking of lacing one to something other than a TW hub.

The front rim is the more common 36 spoke.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 02-27-2013 at 05:44 PM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #3205
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Anytime, Senor Spud. I'm not sure what you're up to but the rear rim is also an oddball in that it has 32 spokes. Check your spoke count if you're thinking of lacing one to something other than a TW hub.

The front rim is the more common 36 spoke.
The 32 spokes for the rear rim is good information to know; thank you. I was just curious to learn how wide the rim needs to be to mount an ATV tire. I know someone who has a size 3.00x15 rim, which I am sure is too narrow to mount any ATV tires.

Spud
Old 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #3206
Dyno
Tilts at Windmills

Oddometer: 1,750
I know that a 4" x 12" works well for an 8" wide tire. The 3" might be pushing it....
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3207
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyno View Post
I know that a 4" x 12" works well for an 8" wide tire. The 3" might be pushing it....
Thank you for good information, Dyno.

Does anyone know of a 15-inch, ATV tire which will mount on a size 3.00x15 rim? My Zongshen 200GY-2 originally had a rear wheel with a size 2.75x15 rim. Later, I installed an XT225 swingarm, and switched to the 18-inch, XT225 rear wheel.

Since then, I've been building custom, 18-inch wheels for Zong owners, because you can't buy a knobby tire in North America which will fit the Zong's rear wheel. This other fellow bought another Chinese motorcycle with a size 3.00x15 rim on the rear wheel. I'm happy to build him a custom wheel, but he might prefer to mount an ATV tire, if it will save him some money.

Spud
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #3208
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Later, I installed an XT225 swingarm, and switched to the 18-inch, XT225 rear wheel.
Interesting because I've read the rear wheel is a weak point on the XT225. Have you heard that?
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #3209
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Interesting because I've read the rear wheel is a weak point on the XT225. Have you heard that?
I might have heard of an occasional rear hub cracking; I don't remember. However, I haven't had any problems whatsover, myself. One could always install a TT-R225 rear wheel, which is beefier; the swingarms are identical for both bikes.

Spud
Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #3210
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
Hopefully going to pick up a t-dub for my wife tomorrow. It has 12,000 miles on it. Is that a lot for the little air cooled 200?

Also, is there anybody who's parting them out? There's a few little doo-dads that it will need and I'd rather not buy new through bike bandit...

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote