ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Augusta National

It'll be here soon...

Mrs Samthg & I scored practice round tix two years ago.

Our first steps on the course dropped us here at the 16th tee


Magnolia Lane, that night a hellish storm blew through an leveled one of those stuckers!


Looking back at 18 tee


11 is just awesome & tight!




11 green on left, 12 in background




sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Elbiluco
Adventurer
 
Elbiluco's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 10
Bluhduh Wow!!!


Been trying to get some tickets for about 4 years now. Just cant seem to make it.......
Was there last year and the guard let me take a pic from the gate..... Oh well, I can at least say Ive been there!!!!!
Awesome pics!!!!!
Elbiluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbiluco View Post

Been trying to get some tickets for about 4 years now. Just cant seem to make it.......
Was there last year and the guard let me take a pic from the gate..... Oh well, I can at least say Ive been there!!!!!
Awesome pics!!!!!
It will happen on the 5th! It took me 5 years of "mail in's" to get the tix. Once I was there and talking to other "patrons", it seemed to take most of us the 5 years. One thing I didn't check into, but blew me away was once we were driving around the area of Augusta, I saw tons of vendors advertising tix.

You'll make it, and you won't believe it. The place is truly that amazing. It was fantastic being there on a practice round. We had lots of freedom to roam around and take tons of pics.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Northern VT
Oddometer: 1,313
You lucky bastard!! I would do sick things to attend Augusta. That course is serioulsy a work of art, my uncle's been and says Pebble Beach doesn't hold a candle to Augusta.

Tallbastid screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 09:59 AM
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
skwidd
where does this lead?
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pissing in your Kampfire
Oddometer: 16,932
I went in '06 for the weekend rounds, 27 holes Sunday for many from the weather delay Saturday.

Incredible place to experience.
__________________
http://www.jimmyalbertson.com

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
You lucky bastard!! I would do sick things to attend Augusta. That course is serioulsy a work of art, my uncle's been and says Pebble Beach doesn't hold a candle to Augusta.
Nah, anybody can go(to the practice rounds). You just have to go through the mail in process. Tix were only like $32.

My wife & kids took me to Pebble for the first round of the US Open in June '10, and 9 months latter we're at the Masters. This was quite incredible for me.

While Pebble is very nice, nothing(that i've seen)measures up to Augusta.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer
 
kfsinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Oddometer: 2,536
What's wrong with this picture?




Good on them for the lowest prices I've ever seen!

__________________
Karl
R1100GS
F650GS -- sold -- what's next?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti


Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Idaho Falls
Oddometer: 371
If any of you get to a practice day (Wednesday is best) go watch from the right side of the 7th green. Unbelievable how close you can be and the amazing effects that occur there. Very narrow and steeply sloped so a teeny 2" miss can end up 40 yds down the fairway. On Wednesday the rookies practice with the really old farts and they really get messed with. Wednesday is also the par 3 tourney which no one wants to win. Great fun.
Bappo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
skwidd
where does this lead?
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pissing in your Kampfire
Oddometer: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
If any of you get to a practice day (Wednesday is best) go watch from the right side of the 7th green. Unbelievable how close you can be and the amazing effects that occur there. Very narrow and steeply sloped so a teeny 2" miss can end up 40 yds down the fairway. On Wednesday the rookies practice with the really old farts and they really get messed with. Wednesday is also the par 3 tourney which no one wants to win. Great fun.

Our hosts had us take chairs to the left side of the 16th green, and leave them there while we took a lap around the entire course backwards.
Unlike any sporting event anywhere, and just as our hosts assured us, our chairs were right where we left and empty after the hour plus we wandered.
From that spot you can see the 15th green, 16th hole, 17th tee box, and the scoreboard across the par 3(number 6?) behind you.

I'll go again for sure.
__________________
http://www.jimmyalbertson.com

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd View Post
Our hosts had us take chairs to the left side of the 16th green, and leave them there while we took a lap around the entire course backwards.
Unlike any sporting event anywhere, and just as our hosts assured us, our chairs were right where we left and empty after the hour plus we wandered.
From that spot you can see the 15th green, 16th hole, 17th tee box, and the scoreboard across the par 3(number 6?) behind you.

I'll go again for sure.
Great spot.

Since I was a youngin', I had always heard about the "Roars" of Augusta. Well, Mrs Samthg & I had been hanging around the Clubhouse and practice green, which is probably the top of the property, when all of the sudden we hear a gigantic and lengthy ROAR. This was coming from the bottom of the property, which is 16. So I asked one of the green jackets 'what was that'? Now remember this is just a Monday practice round. The green jacket told us you should get down to 16.

So off we go, only to find a competition between caddies on the 16th. They are on the tee skipping balls of the pond on to the green for a closest to the pin game. There was some greenbacks being exchanged. We had a great time watching this!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Let me just add this pic. This is about the spot, on 13, that Mickelson hit something like a 6 iron to the green on Sunday in the '10 Masters that pretty much kept his mojo going and he went on to win.

To stand at that spot and see what he saw, and being left handed, well, these guys do play a different game.

The actual spot is between the pines on the right of the pic...

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
subvet
Beastly Adventurer
 
subvet's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: middle TN.
Oddometer: 8,468
some day. I used to drive past the place all the time on business but have never had the opportunity to see past the fence. A buddy of mine is going this year. Lucky bastard.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: seal beach, ca.
Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by subvet View Post
some day. I used to drive past the place all the time on business but have never had the opportunity to see past the fence. A buddy of mine is going this year. Lucky bastard.
Amazing isn't it? They have the place hidden pretty well. You would think inside those vegetated walls would be any old 'city dump' golf course, not some of the most hollowed grounds in golf.

Magnolia Lane from Washington Rd...

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!
 
sdthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Oddometer: 543
I have been fortunate to go to every tournament since 1986 until last year when I decided to go on a DS trip instead; it is a magical place. If anyone makes it down, pm me with any questions you may have. I would offer to show you around the club but we're having a baby that week this year! Great timing huh...
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
linkweewee
tantum quantum
 
linkweewee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 13,910
am not sure I'd blow another 75 cents on an import when I could get a Bud Lite for $3.00
__________________
Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
-John Wayne
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014