User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 AM   #151
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,686
Honda jedi,
Good to hear the swap was a breeze. Let us know how you like it after you've had some time to test it out.

I just installed a Dynatek programable ignition, hoping to cure the WR's highway studder. A fellow inmate over at TT is letting me "try it before I buy it" for a couple of weeks. He had it on his 2011, which he recently traded in for a 2012. He said it cured the studder on the 2011, and I was welcome to try it out on my 2008 to see how it works. I'd been reading about them, but it was hard to "pull the trigger" on a $300 gizmo that "might" work. It comes with a 4-position map switch, with the stock map & 3 others loaded. There's also a patch cord for loading custom maps, if you need to tweak it some more. I wouldn't know how or want to mess with that. I haven't tested it out yet, maybe this afternoon or tomorrow.
I also installed a new battery. It's a Turntech lithium-iron lightweight type, like a Shorai, but about $30 less.

I'm waiting for a new starter button / kill switch to arrive before I can try out the battery. (I had a little crash and somehow the starter button broke.) It's from "Just Barely" and they wanted $58 for a replacement, which looks identical to the one on my XT225. So, I found one of those for $10 off ebay.

I've also got to replace the right handguard & plastic, which got tweaked in the little fall. After all this stuff I hope I'm done $hopping for the WR for a while....but it seems that there's always something to buy.

I'll post an update with the results of the Dynatek. I'm sure lots of other folks need to hear that it's a cure, or not.

free/online Motorcycle Repair Course-
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #152
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

SWEET!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protondecay123 View Post
I've purchased a 2012 and have it plated in Arkansas.

That's a picture of Mossycreek putting my plate on. I used a Tusk kit, uncorked it with Megabomb, ECU etc. I'll try to upload som more pictures later on today

Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #153
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475

Front View

Rear Quarter View

Front Blinker in the Handguards. I used the Barkbuster frame with the Tusk Plastic

I really like how the rear blinkers blend in and attach to the bike.

Other Front Blinker.

As far away as this is from the exhaust, this shouldn't burn off.

Control Switch cluster blends in real well.

The front light is pre wired for high and low beams. The tail light is wired as a brake light as well.

FMF Megabomb with Q4 can, Comp ECU. It's a totally different bike uncorked.

Mossy had never used the Tusk kit before, but he liked it alot especially the wiring harness.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #154
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:

Front View

FMF Megabomb with Q4 can, Comp ECU. It's a totally different bike uncorked.

Mossy had never used the Tusk kit before, but he liked it alot especially the wiring harness.
Outstanding! I plan to get a 2012 in the very near future and will be plating it. How does she do on the road? Any longish slab trips?
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #155
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
Outstanding! I plan to get a 2012 in the very near future and will be plating it. How does she do on the road? Any longish slab trips?
Well you can probably do 70 mph maybe more. I've got the stock MX51's on it which are awesome off road. I have not had it on Interstate and probably never will unless there's a blood spurting emergency. It's big fun to ride though.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #156
cornishpride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with TUSK dual sport kit? It's about $200 cheaper than Baja Designs and has pretty good reviews.This kit for the WR450 has handguard blinkers.

Found a great price on it here
Little late on this but yeah, excellent kit.
Have it on my 07 and it has not given me on bit of trouble.
Will need to replace a rear side light because it getting smoked out by muffler and the side mirror is crap but for what you pay, it really is an excellent kit.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #157
GlennR OP
Playin' in the Fire

DynaTek Programable Ingition

The DynaTek ignition cured my TPS stutter issues.

The unit is "programable" using an optional kit to connect it to a computer. The basic unit comes with a 4 position switch with 4 different maps installed. Map #3 was the only one which fixed the problem.

It cost $290 on ebay. That's an expensive fix, but when you consider that you don't need to pay a shop mechanic to diagnose it or install it the price isn't so bad.

I still feel a very slight occasional "hickup" maybe once every few miles on the highway. I don't think it's the ignition. Maybe carb related, I'm not sure. It is so minor that I'm considering it a "non-issue". My front tire has a med-high speed occasional bumb/hop that's more of a concern these days. I must have hit a boulder or log too hard....or the tire's wearing funny.

Alway's something to fix on a dirtbike....

Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #158
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Only left is a good plate mount if anyone knows of one without a tail light.

Check out the dealership. I just bought a 2001 wr426f that has a baja kit on it that was put on by the dealership before I purchased it. They put on an aluminum plate bracket that bolts up under the stock taillight. it's pretty slick and is the best plate mount I've seen. it looks factory. Bike looks good btw.

You can see the bottom of the bracket where the plate bolts up to in this pic. it is a solid piece that uses the stock taillight bolts to hold it under the fender.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #159
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,085
bump. cool looking sumo
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #160
Doktor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
question , does an 2003 wr450F have cartridge or dampener style forks?

Figure this is as good a place to ask since this thread seems fairly active.
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #161
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Just purchased a 2012 WR450F last month. This bike is extremely impressive in stock form. I have the uncork GYTR parts sitting here waiting to go on. Does anyone know of/ have a link to a plate mount that i can use with the stock rear tail light? I plan to have it street legal soon.

itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #162
Bg22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Good looking bike itrack. I just recently purchased on '03 that needs some tuning and farkling.
Bg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #163
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,085
very nice
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #164
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Well, I have my eyes on a low mile 05,,, price is right. This would (once again) replace my XT-350 which was supposed to be replaced by my DRZ 400 S which was stolen the day I got it running good. This looks to be a better bike by all accounts, so youse guys will see more of me here.

I'll post again if/when I get it.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #165
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
I have made several bikes street legal, but not a WR450F, so what I would like to know what are the main things that need to be done to make it both trail and road ready. Lights, switches, horn, turn signals are not what info I need, I need info on gearing and any engine mods if needed. Can this bike be ridden, say 200 miles per day and the engine work fine under those highway conditions. Are valve adjustment a problem on this bike, or can you go 5000-6000 without having to adjust them. I guess what I'm most concerned with is the engine and what to expect from it. Thanks for any info.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote