Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #151
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
McMaster Carr sells belts for nearly every application you can think of. Even they don't have one. It's a teeth spacing issue as far as I can tell.

Some people have modded theirs to run chains by using a GS front sprocket and custom rear sprocket.

Like I said if you can find one there would be a world wide forum full of elated people. I wouldn't accept that there wasn't a belt out there that would work either until I wasted a lot of my own time looking.

Sent from my iPhone
Well motivated and fairly clever people have had at least 7 or so years of intense looking to try and find this "it's easy!" replacement belt so far, with exactly zero success.

I'm only aware of two people in the whole world who have ever modded their F800 belt drive set ups to accept chain and sprockets. One being Chris Pfeiffer of Corporate BMW sponsored stunting fame, and some guy in South America, who spent a lot of time and money with varying degrees of success, depending on what you view as "easy" or "success"
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #152
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
..so what? $400 every 24,000 miles. No problem.
It's a deal breaker for me. If I feel a company is taking advantage of me, I'll walk. $400 for a belt is taking advantage.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #153
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Maybe it's only $400.00 where you live, but it's not where I live.

They wanted over double that at my local BMW dealers (Canada)

So, obviously screw that noise, right? Internet here I come!

Motorworks UK, awesome, right around $425.00 give or take.

Wait, what? You refuse to ship to North America? Huh?!

WTF, you won't even accept orders form Visa cards issued to someone in North America?

Ooookaaaay...

MaxBMW, at least they're in the US. $435.00 American. Not bad.

Argh, plus $$$ shipping to "International".

Argh, plus obscene UPS Brokerage fees!

Ack, Border customs charges!

Sigh, Provincial and Federal 12% taxes.

$400.00 bucks? Ya, not so much.

And that's IF the belt doesn't break, wear out prematurely or get stuffed up when the rear axle/bearing goes AWOL, or the front pulley chews it's way through the front plastic cover, and goes fucking off down the road when you're out in the middle of nowhere.
A chain is looking better and better by the minute..!

Just get the F800R!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #154
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I'm only aware of two people in the whole world who have ever modded their F800 belt drive set ups to accept chain and sprockets.
Sheesh.. and I've seen people with Bandit 1250s locally doing the opposite,
belt drive mod!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 AM   #155
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 924
"Taking advantage"??????????

How do you figure they are, "Taking advantage" of you because the belt is $400?

How many of these belts do you think they sell globally every year?

Have you ever tried to mass produce a motorcycle belt that last 25,000 miles in all conditions, globally, and make a profit?

They are a business. You understand the concept of profit, right?

Do you live in Russia?

So, you would drop $15,000 for this BMW, but then complain because the zero maintenance belt, that required NOTHING from you for 24,000 miles, and allowed you super quiet operation, no oiling, and was lighter than a shaft drive, and had zero "shaft jacking effect", cost $400 after 24,000 miles?

A new chain a sprockets is at least $200 installed for quality parts. The darn belt isn't a whole lot more. and you are spreading that cost out over 24,000 miles.

Man, you folks are a surly bunch.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will drop a huge amount of money on a very complex machine like a motorcycle or car and then complain about maintenance costs.

You folks are like the tools that buy a Dodge Viper and then complain that the tires cost $500 each and only last 10,000 miles. It's a VIPER!

You want lower operating costs? Buy a freaking Honda Scooter and STFU!

Want a bunch of Marys.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #156
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:

Have you ever tried to mass produce a motorcycle belt that last 25,000 miles in all conditions, globally, and make a profit?

Do you live in Russia?

So, you would drop $15,000 for this BMW, but then complain because the zero maintenance belt, that required NOTHING from you for 24,000 miles, and allowed you super quiet operation, no oiling, and was lighter than a shaft drive, and had zero "shaft jacking effect", cost $400 after 24,000 miles?

A new chain a sprockets is at least $200 installed for quality parts. The darn belt isn't a whole lot more. and you are spreading that cost out over 24,000 miles.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will drop a huge amount of money on a very complex machine like a motorcycle or car and then complain about maintenance costs.

You folks are like the tools that buy a Dodge Viper and then complain that the tires cost $500 each and only last 10,000 miles. It's a VIPER!

Want a bunch of Marys.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #157
Jltrd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:

Do you live in Russia?

Want a bunch of Marys.

Well said....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Jltrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #158
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jltrd View Post
Well said....

Well, how do you guys feel about $ 25.00 a piece spark plugs ? But more to Sid's point, list price on a BMW drive belt is $ 434.00.....below is the price page for Harley drive belts. Bigger belt and more than 50% less. The list price price for the starter for my1100 GS was $ 304.00 I think. I paid $ 195.00 for the exact Valeo starter from a different source. And got 2 free oil filters. Ya, BMW's costs more cuz they are better right ? I understood Sid's point...I don't think you did.

http://www.jpcycles.com/harley-replacement-belts

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE

Gezerbike screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 08:32 AM
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #159
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 924
Sid's point....

....Right.

Sooooooooo, how many Harleys are sold every year?

How many F800s are sold every year?

Economies of scale.

Google it.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #160
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
....Right.

Sooooooooo, how many Harleys are sold every year?

How many F800s are sold every year?

Economies of scale.

Google it.

Would it be a bad thing if BMW designed the final drive to used the existing H-D belt? Nope! BMW=Bring More Wallet

Regards, Paul
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #161
Jltrd
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
Well, how do you guys feel about $ 25.00 a piece spark plugs ? But more to Sid's point, list price on a BMW drive belt is $ 434.00.....below is the price page for Harley drive belts. Bigger belt and more than 50% less. The list price price for the starter for my1100 GS was $ 304.00 I think. I paid $ 195.00 for the exact Valeo starter from a different source. And got 2 free oil filters. Ya, BMW's costs more cuz they are better right ? I understood Sid's point...I don't think you did.

http://www.jpcycles.com/harley-replacement-belts
I for one don't get the point of going on and on about deal breakers and things you don't like about a new motorcycle. There's a very simple way of not paying $400 for a new belt. Don't buy the motorcycle that uses that belt. Same goes if you think the bars are to low, pegs too high, not enough wind protection, didn't hold enough gas....

If I was interested in this bike, and I am, I'm not going to suddenly decide to buy a Harley because the belt costs 50% less

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #162
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Do you live in Russia?

Want a bunch of Marys.

Oh puhleeze.

If I've spent all my frigging hard earned money on a $20,000.00 motorcycle in the first place, and then come to find out it's shit, the parts are outrageously expensive and never in stock anyway, most of them are carefully insured to be proprietary and not available elsewhere, let alone for a price that is at least reasonable, the maintenance is insanely priced, the dealers are shit, the warranty is shit, I'm now labeled a communist tool and a moaner, who should stfu and go buy a scooter?

Maybe you happily take things up the arse without complaint, comforted in the belief that the manufacturer's profit is well and truly the most important issue, when you are sitting at home with your $$$ bike that is not rideable again, waiting for parts that you have to pay through the nose for.

I don't.

FYYFF.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #163
Jltrd
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh puhleeze.

If I've spent all my frigging hard earned money on a $20,000.00 motorcycle in the first place, and then come to find out it's shit, the parts are outrageously expensive and never in stock anyway, most of them are carefully insured to be proprietary and not available elsewhere, let alone for a price that is at least reasonable, the maintenance is insanely priced, the dealers are shit, the warranty is shit, I'm now labeled a communist tool and a moaner, who should stfu and go buy a scooter?

Maybe you happily take things up the arse without complaint, comforted in the belief that the manufacturer's profit is well and truly the most important issue, when you are sitting at home with your $$$ bike that is not rideable again, waiting for parts that you have to pay through the nose for.

I don't.

FYYFF.
So...you would spend 20K on something without first doing some research on it...must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away. You do know that maintenance/parts costs are not a secret right?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #164
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
So...you would spend 20K on something without first doing some research on it...must be nice to have that kind of money to throw away. You do know that maintenance/parts costs are not a secret right?
+1

I remember an article in a local mag which compared the Ninja 650R and
BMW F800S/ST, translated from the German motobild or what'sitcalled.

They calculated that even though the BMW has better fuel mileage, considering
all expenses (maintainance, a set of tires, everything, with added local
registration fees) the BMW would cost twice as much per mile (actually km)
on the road.

The exact numbers were $0.17/km for the Kawasaki and $0.34/km for
the BMW. 1 mile = 1.6km, btw.

Same math put the Bandit 1250 right in the middle between those two numbers.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #165
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Oh ya, absolutely. I have tons of money. That's why I was so pissed. I'm stupid that way.

Duh! I don't have 20K just laying around to spend on a whim. I had to be very careful on how I could make payments, what I had to juggle finance-wise, what to do without, all so I could hopefully enjoy my beautiful finely crafted German machine, that I would have for many years to come.

I did what I thought was more than due diligence for my research into the bike.

I admit I was naive in my expectations about "BMW quality" "craftsmanship" etc., but based on all you twits that shit on everyone who DOES complain about getting a raw deal on a bike, acting like they are a tiny minority who is just bitching, WTF are people supposed to do, other than try and make the best informed choice they can, at the time?