Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazler View Post
wow all good advice for a new guy like me.
I think I would leave the ktm out for now it seem that it weight about the same as some 250 with a lot more power but like you guys say I should start small learn get good at it and maybe later consider something bigger.

I was not considering the litle red honda crf250L due to lower HP than the wrr and about 20lbs more. but it seem that you can easily lose some weight by removing not needed stuff and swapping the exhaust a mod that almost all bikes need, to reduce some pounds.

But now im considering the CRF250L
from http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm
no fuel - 280 pounds (FMF muffler and header; removed unwanted parts)
Just with the BDSB stage 1 and the air box mod = 6 HP that seem like a good deal. http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...-honda-crf250l

most likely I will keep the bike for a real long time that why in my 1st post I mentioned the big bore kit for later down the road, if needed. it seem that they are working on one for the honda too.

I was not expecting so much love for the DRZ it seem to be a great bike then. I guess I was focusing on the FI vs Carb to much too.
I'm in the same boat. I can get a new Honda CRF250L for $5,000 out the door and the Yamaha WR250R is $7,000 out the door. I have been reading Ramsey's page and with the mod's, the Honda may be a good choice. My thinking is i will do mod's to the Yamaha as well anyway. I have no ambition to do any interstate riding as I am looking for more fun on the dirt.

Its hard to look away from the Honda due to price but a few mods looks like it can make it a sweet bike.
Dago52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago52 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I can get a new Honda CRF250L for $5,000 out the door and the Yamaha WR250R is $7,000 out the door. I have been reading Ramsey's page and with the mod's, the Honda may be a good choice. My thinking is i will do mod's to the Yamaha as well anyway. I have no ambition to do any interstate riding as I am looking for more fun on the dirt.

Its hard to look away from the Honda due to price but a few mods looks like it can make it a sweet bike.
Doing the big bore mod on the Honda will take the warranty off the engine. You might want to wait a year for that.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Doing the big bore mod on the Honda will take the warranty off the engine. You might want to wait a year for that.
I agree, but with a diet, she can lose 20 pounds and the mods moderate mods will only help. Maybe a muffler, air box, and some other tweaks.
Dago52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 893
I think u r missing the point Dazler

I'd suggest something like this.

-or-
a klx250/klx300r. Bout the right power band as well, carb'd, easy to fix, can be had for < 2k. Lot of good learning here, you can sell it for what you are in it at the end, and easy to upgrade. A new bike at $6k will be worth 3 in a couple/few years esp with the miles and scratches. This one's plated. Save your money, spend a couple hundred on another dirt course or two, you will be worlds better off.

cbig screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:31 AM Reason: 4got photo
cbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #20
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
great advice given to date

I have never ridden a WR250R, but I have a buddy who went from a CRF450 and he loves his.

I had a WRF290 Athena kitted Yamaha and it was a great bike, but not for highway use. At 70mph it was screaming evben though it was pulling higher sprocket ratios. A wonderful dirt bike. Did I get my money back at resale? No; but it was fun owning it.

I am currently riding a DRZ400E. I have heavier springs and revalved suspesnion ( $1000) twice to get it right, ACT gear box ( $1800), a steering damper, 28L tank, 40 cm windscreen. Yes I like it now, with one exception. It is tall! I am 5' 11'' with 30 inch inseem and I struggle to tippy toe on it. I have recently dropped a DRZ400 2'' by internal mods to the shock and sliding the fork through the clamps. This worked well but now your feet are closer to rocks in rough terrain.

I am planning to try to cut 1 '' from the seat foam and/or a one inch form the rear shock travel to solve this issue.

My advice is: check your inseem measurement and if it is less than 30 " go the Yamaha.

Alternatively for economy first bikes
1) Suzuki DR650 low seat height, forgiving power, good road tourer
2) KLX300 cheap to buy and tough.
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I am currently riding a DRZ400E. I have heavier springs and revalved suspesnion ( $1000) twice to get it right, ACT gear box ( $1800), a steering damper, 28L tank, 40 cm windscreen. Yes I like it now, with one exception. It is tall! I am 5' 11'' with 30 inch inseem and I struggle to tippy toe on it. I have recently dropped a DRZ400 2'' by internal mods to the shock and sliding the fork through the clamps. This worked well but now your feet are closer to rocks in rough terrain.
So did you have ACT gear box put in, or was it there already when you bought it? That's the one big flaw of the DRZ and I bet that ACT gearbox makes a nice change.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
dazler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I cant seem to find any used bikes around close to me.
That means I will have to buy new, ouch.
I did search ebay, craiglist
dazler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
ilyaon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Hi,

Just run in into this post. Not sure if you've bought the bike already. But I would like to share my experience with WR250R as first bike.

Please follow this link if you interested

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post21740196
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,832
guess I'll chip in my .02 and say the WRR is a good solid bike. It does everything well, but nothing is outstanding.

The difference in transmission from the DRZ and the WRR is a big one. The WRR is nice on the street because of the wide ratios, the DRZ is wound much tighter, however a close ratio is better off road. I find I'm always between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th on the WRR. Theya re big jumps.

The power only sucks at altitude. In colorado, anything above 8000' you'll want to shoot yourself. When you get back down below 7000', it is great again.

I use my WRR as a touring bike (Baja, roaming rally, etc) and as an enduro bike (Colorado, local woods, LBL200)

It's a good choice, but now days its hard to choose a bad bike; honest.

The 690 is nice, but it doesn't turn in the tight stuff. It is awesome in the desert/baja. No so much if you're doing tight stuff. It would be a good option if you were comparing it to the japanese 650s (KLR, DR, XRL)

The 690 does tour well and has lots of power for long days in the saddle.

I say you should buy either the 400 or the WR250R. If you don't like it, sell it and buy something else. They resell pretty easily. It not like you're going to be married to it.