Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #1666
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I was told the "built-in fax machine" was the ABS unit resetting. Makes more sense than the stepper motor, it's just a little tiny thing. That's just what I heard somewhere in my travels.

No such thing as an 'injection motor'. But it does sound like it could be an ECU unit, although I've never heard of one making hoise.

On this thread it references both items as making the noise: http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-chat...er-1050-a.html

On another thread they thought it was the fuel pump/injection pump, which sounds a lot like the other reply of 'injection motor'. Could be the pressure pump.

Alas, it is all normal.

+1 on the Uni Pre-Filter. Another group buy getting going on over there.
Mine does it and it's a Non-ABS model... so that counts that one out.

Reminds me of a dial up modem.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #1667
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Wrong!
If it's the "faxing home" noise it's the stepper motor resetting.

No idea what an "injection motor" is.

The trick with the air filter is to buy the Unifilter.com.au pre-filter. http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/p5646.html Takes 90% of the crap out of the airflow, keeping the stock filter nice and clean. If you do a hunt on here quick, there's a group buy going.
My understanding is it's the stepper motor also. There have been issues in the past with other Trumpets if you turn the bike off using the Kill Switch as this doesn't allow the motor to do it's thing which can cause issues the next time you start it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #1668
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
The noise is the injection motors, its normal on shutdown. Mine does it every time I pull the key.
Quote:
Wrong!
If it's the "faxing home" noise it's the stepper motor resetting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I was told the "built-in fax machine" was the ABS unit resetting. Makes more sense than the stepper motor, it's just a little tiny thing. That's just what I heard somewhere in my travels.

No such thing as an 'injection motor'. But it does sound like it could be an ECU unit, although I've never heard of one making hoise.
Injection motors?

Stepper motor?

ABS module?

Can't be any of those. My '06 Daytona 675 and '09 Tiger 1050, both, did/do it. The commonality between them and T800 is the EFI; they run the same brand. It has to be the ECU, based on where the sound originates and that they all three sound identical. You can't pull the tank completely off to investigate, but, you can lift it and cycle the key. Whatever you do, don't cycle the key with fuel lines disconnected, as that'll trigger a CEL.

ducnut screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 06:01 AM
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #1669
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
It's been well-established that the sound is the stepper motor, which actuates a lever that resets the idle. You can actually watch it in action if you know where to look -- and you can also give that lever a squirt of WD40 if you're having the stalling issue. Plenty of discussion on this in the main Tiger 800 thread.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #1670
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
It has to be the ECU, based on where the sound originates and that they all three sound identical.
Since when does a solid state processor make a noise? Also my ECU isn't under the tank where MY noise comes from. It's under the seat. I'm still going with the stepper motor. Although, when I first heard it, I thought it was the fuel rail de-pressurizing.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #1671
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Lol your right bad choice of words on my part, had my helo DECU motors on my mind at the time which is essentially the same thing as the stepper motor on the bike.

Ill try to keep my helicopters and my bike terminology separate
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #1672
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,961
Quote:
Since when does a solid state processor make a noise? Also my ECU isn't under the tank where MY noise comes from. It's under the seat. I'm still going with the stepper motor. Although, when I first heard it, I thought it was the fuel rail de-pressurizing.
I read somewhere that your last sentence is the closest to correct. Something about purging excess pressure from the fuel system after engine shutdown.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #1673
MK 2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
On a funny note, I thought I had all the bases covered by reading all about the tiger before I bought. I knew about the front mudguard and bought the tt fender riser, and wouldn't ya know I just had to go offroad during break in and came across maybe at mist a 20 foot mud patch and BANG fender launches out in front of me. Here is the kicker....I get home and what showed up, yep you guessed right the fender riser! Not all bad as the pieces glued back together with some loc tite super glue and some epoxy and good as new(FYI 180 bucks for a replacement best price!). So thanks to all of your for your wisdom and observations and a word of advice to any prospective Tiger owners take heed to this forum.
MK 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #1674
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

I did a little investigating on this "noises" topic. I called a Triumph mechanic that I know. One of the things he mentioned was a solenoid, in addition to a servo motor (depending on bike-Daytona has an exhaust valve that cycles, upon shutdown) and ECU. He said, to his knowledge, the fuel system does not go through a de-pressurization process.

I broke out my Daytona and Tiger 1050 service manuals and got to reading. Then, I went out to the shop and started investigating, with numerous cycles and starts of my 1050. The stepper motor is very quick to act, made no noise, activated upon startup, and quickly retracted during the bike's shutdown sequence (~30 seconds after key off). There is a solenoid located in the secondary air injection system (Daytona and Tiger both have it). I can't see it, without taking off the tank. However, based on the location of the noise (front of my tank), the manual showing the solenoid being there, and the mechanic stating "solenoid" in his list, I'm convinced that's what is making the shutdown noises. The stepper motor's action is extremely quick (milliseconds) and it made no noise, during that movement (the 1050's is just inside the right frame spar and can be seen/touched). With gas cap open during the shutdown sequence, I don't hear any release of pressure inside the tank. The next step is to get my tank ran down and unbolted, so that I can get a better look at this solenoid.

Interestingly, I found mention of an "EMS main relay" that does the following:
Quote:
Situated forward of the fuse box. When the ignition is switched on, the EMS main relay is powered up to provide a stable voltage supply for the ECM. When the ignition is turned off, the ECM carries out a power down sequence during which the EMS main realy remains powered by the ECM for 1 minute. The ECM power down sequence includes: writing the adaption date to ECM memory and referencing the position of the throttle stepper motor.
I mentioned above that neither my Daytona or Tiger 1050 had stepper motors. Doh! I don't know what the hell I was thinking, when I wrote that. The Daytona's stepper motor is just like the 1050's in that there's no linkage. It's just a simple plunger that extends and retracts, contacting the throttle linkage.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #1675
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,508
Whilst the fuel system doesn't go through a de=pressurization "process". It does de-pressurize. Otherwise you wouldn't hear the fuel pump running when you turn her on. If it is fuel related it could just be the fuel releasing pressure back through the pump after shut down.

The secondary air injection theory doesn't apply because the 800s don't have it.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #1676
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Whilst the fuel system doesn't go through a de=pressurization "process". It does de-pressurize. Otherwise you wouldn't hear the fuel pump running when you turn her on. If it is fuel related it could just be the fuel releasing pressure back through the pump after shut down.

The secondary air injection theory doesn't apply because the 800s don't have it.
Well crap! I wish I had an 800 and a service manual. This has really got me to wondering.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #1677
Riot
Tiger Rider

Oddometer: 104
The fax noise is a movement of the throttle butterflies, Torque (the android app) and my elm-327 (obd reader) confirm this as the TPS value fluctuate while the sound is present.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #1678
turboICE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The stepper motor controls idle by creating an effective idle stop on the butterflies. It makes perfect sense that the TPS would change as the stepper motor is recalibrating on shut down.
turboICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #1679
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,564
I love it, finally the mystery may be solved.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #1680
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
If you read through the Tiger 800 main thread, you'll find that the mystery was solved a long time ago. Reread my previous post.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote