ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #3901
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter noob View Post
I never thought to ask who's 690 that was, does Doug ever ride it? She's a beauty for sure!
I don't know how much he rides it. It's a beauty, though. The only problem with that bike is the rear really doesn't have a subframe to speak of. I think the Defy Quest 690 setup fixes that so that you can at least carry soft luggage. There's a couple from the UK riding them around the world: http://www.chasinghorizons.co.uk/

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...-kit-ktm-66371

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #3902
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Ahh, that could be a problem for sure. Glad I can carry soft luggage on my BMW. I'll be upgrading to a Kriega luggage rack and soft luggage setup. The Dirtbagz one I have now works, it's just a little light on carrying cap.

That Defy Quest setup is SWEET!!!!!

BMW MOA# 192310
scooter noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #3903
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ahh, that could be a problem for sure. Glad I can carry soft luggage on my BMW. I'll be upgrading to a Kriega luggage rack and soft luggage setup.
I just finished some Pelican side cases. Much more narrow than the Gobis I was using before.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #3904
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
I just finished some Pelican side cases. Much more narrow than the Gobis I was using before.

VERY NICE!!!!! How many liters capacity are they

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #3905
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
VERY NICE!!!!! How many liters capacity are they
The sides are Pelican 1550s, which I believe are 35 liters. The top is a Pelican 1500, which holds quite a bit by itself. You can look at Caribou Cases for ideas. I always buy used cases off of eBay and just build something that works. These are mounted on the stock KTM racks using blocks of Delrin on the bottom and bicycle seat post cam locks on the top. Very simple. The top case is mounted to a black cutting board, which is then mounted to the stock plate.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #3906
agorham
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Noobtastic Info

All,

Thanks for the warm welcome! At the moment, I've got a 2008 KLR and I recently picked up a 2005 R1200GS that's in amazing shape. As I mentioned before, I live in Davenport, IA. I'm looking for a place/group in my proximity to help me start to learn the ropes.

Thanks!
agorham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #3907
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,256
Organized DS ride near Genesseo in late September.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #3908
QCGoose
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Greetings from Davenport, IA. I'm Chris, 28 years old, an avid cyclist and a big fan and long-time lurker to the forum. No dual-sports in the stable yet, but it's certainly not out of the equation as there are plenty of unpaved roads locally and distant that I'd love to explore on two wheels.

The current collection:

'98 Guzzi V11 EV

'97 Guzzi 1100 Sport

'70 Honda CB175 (recently acquired and currently completely apart for restoration)

Past bikes, dirt and street, include:

(In order of acquisition)

'77 Honda XR75- given to me at the age of 9 (would like another for nostalgiac reasons, as well as for my young nieces/nephews and future kids of my own, and would pay almost anything for my old one back, regardless of current condition)

'89 Kawasaki KX125

'96 Honda CR125

*some years later*

'06 Kawasaki ZX6R

'94 Honda CB250 (bought for then g/f / now-fiancee to learn on, which didn't last long with her due to her hectic school and work schedule, but I had a surprising amount of fun on it myself)

'01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

As previously mentioned, a dual-sport is certainly welcome to join the herd, but I'm currently on the hunt for a mint, bone-stock (or close to it) '96-'97 Ducati 900SS/CR or late '90's carb'ed/early '00's FI Ducati Monster 900. Red, of course.

QCGoose screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 07:59 PM
QCGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #3909
scooter noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome QCGoose, nice Moto Guzzis and Honda. Some pics when it's restored pleez?

BMW MOA# 192310
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #3910
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Welcome QCGoose
I just love them Guzzis
I have a 1972 CL175 out in the garage. [dads]
I'm not into restorations though, only riding.
Steve
I'm getting sick of this weather, Anyone want to head south for a week of trails,,, twisties,,,camping,,,,warmth?
PS I'm thinking of leaving tomorrow.

eemsreno screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 05:32 AM
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #3911
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Welcome QCGoose, nice Moto Guzzis and Honda. Some pics when it's restored pleez?
Welcome QC! Just put a skid plate on that Guzzi V11, and you should be good to go where I go. Nice stable you have there.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #3912
QCGoose
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks guys.

The EV is certainly my all-around ride, as it's incredibly comfortable, reliable, and handles far better than anything resembling a cruiser has the right to. Built on the old Tonti frame, though, it's no surprise that it loves the curves. It was my introduction into the world of Guzzis, which would have been the then-new '09 V7 Classic, but with the kinds of riding that I had planned for a more sedate motorcycle to accompany my then-owned '06 ZX6R, the bigger, roomier EV made much more sense and mine basically found me by chance and it couldn't have been more perfect. A match made in Heaven (or in Riverside, IA at Ned's lol).

The 1100 Sport was added last May. I was debating on a new Griso 8V, or an older Spine-framed Guzzi sportbike, and my love (lust?) for the incredibly seductive body of the Daytona/Sport bikes got the better of me. After much searching, and a few that escaped my grasp by the slimmest of margins, a member on WildGuzzi from Acworth, GA made mention that he was looking to sell his mint '97 Sporti (short for 1100 Sport injection) to fund a vintage Guzzi replacement. I was quick to act (probably quicker than I've ever moved for anything) and ensured my name was written all over it. Shortly thereafter, I flew down to Atlanta, got acquainted with the bike and the owner, and had the best 5 days of my life familiarizing myself with the rare stallion along the best (and some most famous) backroads through northern GA, eastern TN and western NC, KY, southern IL, MO, and finally home. I would have loved nothing more than to spend another week or more on that adventure, but my schedule only allowed for the time that I had. I was beyond thankful for that opportunity and the entire trip is still etched in my memory.

Only 1213 fuel-injected Sports were produced in 1997 worldwide, and roughly only 227 were sent to the US. 1997 was also the only year the US saw the upgraded Sport. Of the 227, the color choices were red, black metallic (with a greenish "olive" tint in the flake which looks incredible in the sunlight), and yellow. Red was the biggest shipment, followed by black, and then yellow. According to more than a few sources, only about 40-47 were yellow. This was in '97- who knows how many have been removed from the road since then (museum/collection, which is where my yellow Sport spent the first 13 years of its life, or unfortunately totalled), but some Guzzi gurus say it's extremely likely that I have the only yellow 1100 Sport in Iowa. I must admit it brings a bit of pride in knowing this bike is so rare, but at the same time it puts a few beads of sweat on the ol' forehead once in a while because of that. The gorgeous fiberglass bodywork is, by now, impossible to replace (as far as OEM goes). Unobtanium, if you will. I'm certainly not afraid to put her through her paces, but one can't help but to carry around a little extra bit of worry, ya know?

The CB175 is my first attempt at a restoration. Normally I don't like to work on things too much, especially as deep as a restoration, but I've wanted a smaller vintage bike for a while and stumbled upon the little Honda on Craigslist one night in mid-January.

Admittedly it looked better in the pics than it did in person, but the guy was honest, the engine started right up and he recently rebuilt the carbs. It hadn't been ridden since '84 (my birth year lol), but it's all intact and original (with the exception of the mufflers), and the price was too hard for me to ignore.

My original plan was to just clean up and fix a few things and get it back to riding condition, but as I started to disassemble bits here and there, I kept going and eventually said "Ah, to hell with it" and eventually took everything apart down to the frame lol.

I'm still on the hunt for a few NOS or at least better-condition OEM pieces than some of the damaged pieces I removed, and I've got about half the new hardware bits I want. The plan is to get the frame and all the black (or used to be black) brackets and components blasted and powdercoated, and then with the frame sitting pretty and ready to go, I'll then begin reassembly.

I started out the tear-down at a quick pace, but the project has hit the brakes as my schedule and other events have gotten in the way. With a realistic top speed of about 60-65 MPH, it'll be a fun little backroads and around-town bike when it's finished. I still want a vintage Guzzi though, so it definitely won't be the only gray horse in the stable.

QCGoose screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 08:36 AM
QCGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #3913
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Just got home from my ride SOUTH!!! Had a great Trip. You guys should have come with me.
Rode the Natchez Trace Parkway and on the way home hit the Talimena Drive.
2,240 miles

I'll post up a link to a R.R. when I get it done.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #3914
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Rr

Looking forward to that RR.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #3915
FreeHugger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Tool Tubes

eemsreno i notice that you have the argi supply tool tube on the back of your pannier. Did you pick that up online or were you able to find one locally?

I've been thinking about mounting one the GS frame but wanted to check one out in person before I bought one.

2005 R1200GS

o-?o
FreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote