Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #301
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerger View Post
While I'm pestering you for information, did you do a lot of research into which ICF to use?
Best one is whatever you can find a local, experienced installer to work with. Trying to teach an old dog new tricks can get expensive fast when you're working with concrete.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #302
Neil E.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I don't know if it's popular in residential construction but diamond polishing is really nice. Every epoxy coated concrete floor I've ever seen (industrial) winds up being chipped and looks crappy. A polished concrete floor finish is fine enough to eliminate any concrete dust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polished_concrete
Neil E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #303
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Me too, all

Adam, is your boiler oil fired, natural gas or propane? ...... Just curious what your choice and reasoning was?

While I'm pestering you for information, did you do a lot of research into which ICF to use?
We went with propane. I'm not a fan of having a tank of fuel oil on my property. We're also cooking with propane, so as long as we have the tank we might as well heat that way too. Being very well insulated, we're not terribly worried about using a lot of fuel regardless the type. We've also got a wood burning stove, but I think it'll make too much heat for the place. We'll see- I think it's just going to be something nice to look at.

Funny story how I chose an ICF manufacturer- I went with the guy that returned my phone calls and emails. Nudura didn't call back. Integraspec didn't call back. Reward did. If you followed the whole thread you'll see that the end stages of that turned out disastrous, but that had more to do with their district rep/contractor than it did the block itself. Either way, pretty bad PR for them.

My GC does a lot of frost walls and foundations with integraspec. His guys like working with them FWIW.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #304
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post

Hey Adam, I need more pictures. How about some snapshots of the main floor, kitchen layout, and upstairs? I remember the footprint somewhat, but ya'll had just poured the floor for the main level when I saw it, so the concept in my head may be off. Then again, there is a 90% chance I will be seeing it in the next month and a 1/2 anyways
I'll see what I can do. It's kinda hard to get interior shots with our camera.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #305
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I don't know if it's popular in residential construction but diamond polishing is really nice. Every epoxy coated concrete floor I've ever seen (industrial) winds up being chipped and looks crappy. A polished concrete floor finish is fine enough to eliminate any concrete dust.

I LOVE the look of polished concrete floors. In fact I was really hoping to go in that direction until I got a few price quotes. Basically it looked like upwards of $10 a square foot, which is way more than we wanted to spend. I even looked into renting the equipment, but that's pretty expensive too and the end result isn't guaranteed.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #306
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Sorry for the delayed reply. The floors were like that when I moved in. The whole area is inspired by French Quarter New Orleans. The developers are just a small group, and they're pretty friendly, so they might answer questions. I don't have a phone number or email, but here's their website. (it's flash, and won't work on my phone, but there's probably a contact link on there somewhere.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #307
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
I heat with oil right now, everything else is electric. At the moment, electric is cheaper than propane here but I doubt that will last. So really all I have is the oil tank which isn't much. I like the idea of propane in that I could get a big tank and fill it in the summer when theoretically the propane is cheaper. Certainly oil does not seem to be cheaper in the summer. Still need to check into that theory though. Also, we get a lot of power outages so I will be wiring in a back up generator. Again these can run of propane or oil but I would think the propane will be quieter and less smell from the exhaust. Come to think of it I better check if its ok with the powers to be to have a generator hooked up to your home propane. Plus, the more stuff I get off the electric the more I can keep the whole house going with even a mid sized generator, which appeals to me. All this really is making me second guess whether to build or move.
Well, if you also want a standby generator, then I would buy a 500 gallon tank outright (not sure what metric conversion is on that), so you get a better deal on propane. For the generator, I would go with either a Kohler or an Onan 10 or 12kW unit. The 20kW ones use waaay too much propane for emergency situations. The last time I figured it (I think for Adam's house even ), a 500 gallon tank would last about 10 days on a 20kW generator at 50% load. So, I recommend going with a smaller power unit and just dealing with not doing laundry, running the AC, cooking Thanksgiving dinner, etc, and having significantly lower fuel usage. Plus, if you are heating with propane too, then the combo of a big generator and heat is going to be ridiculous. For your usage, a 10kWish generator will run 16 days on a full tank (80%) of propane, at 50% load, 24/7. For heat+the generator, you are propably looking at 15 days on a full tank.
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #308
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post

I've done a few commercial facilities this way, we call it "Terrazzo". Do a quick Google pic search. I think you will like what you see.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #309
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
We had the floors of our house diamond polished. When we bought the place the cement floors were coated, and and coating was yellowed and chipping. Diamond polishing looks way better and is basically maintenance free, but it is expensive (and messy when they do it) but it should basically never have to be redone. It exposes the underlying aggregate, and does give it a bit of a terrazzo look, depending on the aggregate mix, but is not true terrazzo.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #310
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Just stumbled across this thread . Sir , that is one fine looking , well thought out dwelling ! Hat is off to you and your wife on making some very good choices . I will be retiring in a year or two and may think about building a smaller version of your house . Thanks for the thread , it is nice to learn from someone actually building in one of several methods I am considering . Will be following along until you finish . Thank you !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #311
farmerger
Snowed in Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Well, if you also want a standby generator, then I would buy a 500 gallon tank outright (not sure what metric conversion is on that), so you get a better deal on propane. For the generator, I would go with either a Kohler or an Onan 10 or 12kW unit. The 20kW ones use waaay too much propane for emergency situations. The last time I figured it (I think for Adam's house even ), a 500 gallon tank would last about 10 days on a 20kW generator at 50% load. So, I recommend going with a smaller power unit and just dealing with not doing laundry, running the AC, cooking Thanksgiving dinner, etc, and having significantly lower fuel usage. Plus, if you are heating with propane too, then the combo of a big generator and heat is going to be ridiculous. For your usage, a 10kWish generator will run 16 days on a full tank (80%) of propane, at 50% load, 24/7. For heat+the generator, you are propably looking at 15 days on a full tank.
Wow, you sir are the Bob Vila of ADVRider!!! I'm off to research propane generators now. Thx.

Billy Connolly - "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?"
farmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #312
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Wow, you sir are the Bob Vila of ADVRider!!! I'm off to research propane generators now. Thx.
Just an electrician who has installed more than a few standby generators and went to school to service Generacs (note how I didn't recommend them ). Hope I at least pointed you in the right direction anyway. Now if I could only have won that same argument with Adam...
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #313
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Just an electrician who has installed more than a few standby generators and went to school to service Generacs (note how I didn't recommend them ). Hope I at least pointed you in the right direction anyway. Now if I could only have won that same argument with Adam...
What argument? I only have loud discussions.

We're going with a generator at some point- just don't know when, and it will be propane. Doesn't code say that if you have an automatic transfer switch that the generator has to be able to power EVERYTHING in the house? Just curious.

We pre-wired for the hot tub today. Not that we can afford one but at least we can plug one in. Also got the well wired up and was happy to see water for the first time. We're getting close to being done with the rough-in wiring. A few nights this week and we should have it.

After the plumber does his thing I'm going to pre-plumb for central vacuum.

The AV guy continued wiring today (he likes working weekends when the rest of the crew isn't around.)
Old 03-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #314
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Just stumbled across this thread . Sir , that is one fine looking , well thought out dwelling ! Hat is off to you and your wife on making some very good choices . I will be retiring in a year or two and may think about building a smaller version of your house . Thanks for the thread , it is nice to learn from someone actually building in one of several methods I am considering . Will be following along until you finish . Thank you !
Thanks.

Check out www.rosschapin.com for some really awesome smaller home designs.

I'm kinda torn on if I'd do another ICF home or not. If I didn't go with ICFs I think I'd build 2x12 walls instead. It's a neat feeling being inside the home- very quiet and solid feeling. No creaks when the wind blows. I definitely am glad that all 3 levels are concrete slabs with radiant heat in them- and I don't know how you'd pull that off without concrete walls to hold them up. We could debate it all day long. If you're in the area you're welcome to stop by for a visit.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #315
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,941
I don't think you need to power the whole house, just the panel you'd want to provide emergency power to. Stuff like fridge, heating, convenience outlets and what not.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: