ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #4606
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
Can you elaborate? I am sold on the multi. Just debating on full termi. With high flow filter & race ECU..Does anybody have real world #s? If not i think I will be the test subject because my buddy owns a motorcycle shop equipped with a Dyno= real world HP gains if any.
If you have access to a dyno, I would go with TuneBoy's full deal which allows a good tuner to make some good tunefiles plus you will have CC.

The Termi and ECU is a canned deal, from all I talked to, it didn't do much for the bike but make it loud.
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w plated
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #4607
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!
 
Gorilla King's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: High Desert
Oddometer: 39,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
A couple posts back you said you would not buy a multi because of range & front tire size?? What changed your mind O gorilla king
I didn't say that. What I did say is I'm keeping my GS/A due to it superior range and bigger front wheel.
__________________
"Whenever a youth is ascertained to possess talents meriting an education which his parents cannot afford, he should be carried forward at the public expense." James Madison
Gorilla King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #4608
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer
 
Pampero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
Can you elaborate? I am sold on the multi. Just debating on full termi. With high flow filter & race ECU..Does anybody have real world #s? If not i think I will be the test subject because my buddy owns a motorcycle shop equipped with a Dyno= real world HP gains if any.
I can, and in some length.

There have been very few "scientific" threads if any on the various fora (here and elsewhere) dealing with Multistrada's response to exhaust tuning, but much discussion to date about smoothing out low end response. This mostly covers '10-'12 models since the '13's dual plug and injector revisions aim to address the "response" issue.

To date, (that is up to last model year) machines getting the full Termi treatment have generally also required additional dyno tuning to ease reported lean surge conditions and smooth throttle response. Unfortunately, very few owners have reported before/after pulls to give the community a sense of which modifications might result in which improvements. So for one thing, your experiences, if you report them here, perhaps posting your before/after pulls, will be of interest to people like me who find a $3000 "investment" in the Termis a bit much to fork out when the evidence is anecdotal, and equally when critical owners have found that the Termi ECU is at best a starting point.

Sine the '13 should improve on the prior models' low speed response, a principle incentive to go to the trouble, that is improvement at low speed running, is reduced.

So you are left with a very expensive exhaust system of (some say) dubious value for money for which the improvements are largely either anecdotal or undocumented.

Since many owners agree that the Multi already has plenty of power for it's intended task, a good number conclude that there is better return spending the money elsewhere. Others believe equal or better results can be obtained substituting alternate systems including those from Quat D, Arrow, Leo Vince, Akrapovik or the like, and since all of these systems require some degree of fiddling and tweaking (notwithstanding Termignoni's bespoke ECU) a consensus that the Termi system is a good deal does not exist.

Your priorities may be different, and your results can help inform the rest of us.

I'd tend to agree that the first, best money might be a careful shopping of aftermarket warranty myself if the owner intends to keep the bike longer than the coverage offered by the original Ducati warranty, as these bikes are expensive to repair. A number of us who would never buy aftermarket warrants or never bought them before did do that when buying these bikes. The peace of mind is well worth it to me.

Pampero screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 06:46 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4609
Dukefrog
Red dirt eater
 
Dukefrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Oz Gold Coast
Oddometer: 5
Back from Perth to Gold Coast… almost!

Three (3) lessons learned riding across Australia on the South paved roads:

1. On paved (asphalt) straight roads (like for more than 50Km), and air temperatures above 40C; heed the advice of Harley riders and put on real road tires like the Dunlop Roadsmart. My Scorpion Trails evaporated (see picture). I met an Austrian rider that reported the same happened to the Scorpion Trails on a trip to Sardinia (quite hot I reckon).

2. Order or get the rear wheel nut sprocket for your MTS now! It’s not in the tool kit; the regular shops cannot take your rear wheel off without that sprocket. An extraordinary Honda shop owner opened his shop to help us out during the holiday break, found a rear tire that could be fitted, but there was no compatible socket. Have you ordered yours yet? What are you waiting for?

3. The remote (keyless) filler cap, may not like the long rides at one point. I’m fitting the ordinary filler cap to avoid undue palpitations when the thing does not want to unlock in the middle of nowhere at an automated petrol station. It was one attempt away from the screwdriver option.

Stop reading, go ride!

Dukefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #4610
jtnx650
Reinforced Adventurer
 
jtnx650's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Jilliby, NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrog View Post
Three (3) lessons learned riding across Australia on the South paved roads:


2. Order or get the rear wheel nut sprocket for your MTS now! It’s not in the tool kit; the regular shops cannot take your rear wheel off without that sprocket. An extraordinary Honda shop owner opened his shop to help us out during the holiday break, found a rear tire that could be fitted, but there was no compatible socket. Have you ordered yours yet? What are you waiting for?

Hello Dukefrog,

I just bought a 2012 Multistrada - got a good deal clearing out the 2012 models ready for the new '13's - maybe a purchase from the heart not the head!

I assume you got the socket from the Ducati dealer - how much did they rip you off for it?

I went for my first big run yesterday and love the bike, but I don't look forward to having to deal with Ducati service - local centre will cost me a day off to get the bike in there and get it serviced - and sounds high cost as well!

Certainly don't want to be locked into them for tyres as well.

Thanks for the advice
__________________
JT

2010 XT660Z
2012 Multistrada S T

jtnx650 screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 04:21 AM
jtnx650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #4611
Dukefrog
Red dirt eater
 
Dukefrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Oz Gold Coast
Oddometer: 5
Wheel nut sprocket

Got it from: http://www.motomfg.com/Steel_Ducati_...ket_p/wh-4.htm

40 bucks is OK!
Enjoy your ride mate!
Dukefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #4612
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
aceonthebeach3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I can, and in some length.

There have been very few "scientific" threads if any on the various fora (here and elsewhere) dealing with Multistrada's response to exhaust tuning, but much discussion to date about smoothing out low end response. This mostly covers '10-'12 models since the '13's dual plug and injector revisions aim to address the "response" issue.

To date, (that is up to last model year) machines getting the full Termi treatment have generally also required additional dyno tuning to ease reported lean surge conditions and smooth throttle response. Unfortunately, very few owners have reported before/after pulls to give the community a sense of which modifications might result in which improvements. So for one thing, your experiences, if you report them here, perhaps posting your before/after pulls, will be of interest to people like me who find a $3000 "investment" in the Termis a bit much to fork out when the evidence is anecdotal, and equally when critical owners have found that the Termi ECU is at best a starting point.

Sine the '13 should improve on the prior models' low speed response, a principle incentive to go to the trouble, that is improvement at low speed running, is reduced.


So you are left with a very expensive exhaust system of (some say) dubious value for money for which the improvements are largely either anecdotal or undocumented.

Since many owners agree that the Multi already has plenty of power for it's intended task, a good number conclude that there is better return spending the money elsewhere. Others believe equal or better results can be obtained substituting alternate systems including those from Quat D, Arrow, Leo Vince, Akrapovik or the like, and since all of these systems require some degree of fiddling and tweaking (notwithstanding Termignoni's bespoke ECU) a consensus that the Termi system is a good deal does not exist.

Your priorities may be different, and your results can help inform the rest of us.

I'd tend to agree that the first, best money might be a careful shopping of aftermarket warranty myself if the owner intends to keep the bike longer than the coverage offered by the original Ducati warranty, as these bikes are expensive to repair. A number of us who would never buy aftermarket warrants or never bought them before did do that when buying these bikes. The peace of mind is well worth it to me.
The dealer who has been very very cool told me that you should see 15% increase in HP. I straight up told him that seems extremely high. He is also selling me the bike @ invoice so he is a cool dude. But I also get he is trying to SELL me. I was thinking maybe 5hp-7/8ish hp gains. Which is actually good normally but for $2000(what he said he would sell & install) doesn't seem worth it. I am also smart enough to understand I am purchasing a $20,000 bike so the whole $$$ issue is hard to float. :). I have been around the Dyno many times & seen it crush many of these Claimed high horsepower gains.

I do have 1 complaint about Muliti= $20,000 & no cruise? Am I alone here? I know about the tune boy fix but that is not the point. In my initial research it was not a biggie but after looking @ some of these accessories they did add that seem silly like the auto gas cap,different Hand guards, etc. how was cruise not added?

I am a horsepower whore & never had the chance yet to ride this machine. I love hearing the test ride reports or first Long ride reports. Keep em coming!!!! You keep us future multi owners alive.
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #4613
jimmex
Guero con moto
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,519
Spend the exhaust pipe money on an aftermarket warranty and go ride.
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #4614
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer
 
Pampero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
The dealer who has been very very cool told me that you should see 15% increase in HP. I straight up told him that seems extremely high. He is also selling me the bike @ invoice so he is a cool dude. But I also get he is trying to SELL me. I was thinking maybe 5hp-7/8ish hp gains. Which is actually good normally but for $2000(what he said he would sell & install) doesn't seem worth it. I am also smart enough to understand I am purchasing a $20,000 bike so the whole $$$ issue is hard to float. :). I have been around the Dyno many times & seen it crush many of these Claimed high horsepower gains.
I agree with all of this. If you got 7 HP out of a simple thing like replacing the pipes, I'd call that excellent. A lot of exhaust tuning robs from Peter to pay Paul, and that's OK but a claim of 15% for just replacing the exhaust system is cause for head scratching.

The weight loss will be worth a couple of HP though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
I do have 1 complaint about Muliti= $20,000 & no cruise? Am I alone here? I know about the tune boy fix but that is not the point. .....
You are not alone, which is why Tune Boy has a market. But some people are more in tune with this feature than others. When pressed in his last interview, Claudio Domenicali expressed surprise that people actually wanted cruise on a motorcycle. I think they have the message now, but as to when they will implement the code and feature set is a good question. It would be nice if/when they do it, that they make it a retrofit. In the meantime, I'm using a throttle lock. I would not let the absence of this feature deter me, and I doubt many Multi riders would, but it's a legit niggle.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #4615
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
aceonthebeach3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Spend the exhaust pipe money on an aftermarket warranty and go ride.
I am 100% getting extended warranty.
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #4616
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
aceonthebeach3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C
Oddometer: 197
[QUOTE=Pampero;20870974]I agree with all of this. If you got 7 HP out of a simple thing like replacing the pipes, I'd call that excellent. A lot of exhaust tuning robs from Peter to pay Paul, and that's OK but a claim of 15% for just replacing the exhaust system is cause for head scratching.

The weight loss will be worth a couple of HP

In all fairness it not just exhaust. It's a high flow air filter & race ECU & a full replacement exhaust system. But I still think 7hp would be on the high end.
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #4617
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,445
Please share with us what you find in terms of aftermarket warranties. My '11 just went out in January and seeing as there's nothing else out there with the combination of qualities this bike has I don't find myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I figure that I've got $25k in my S Sport, with the full Termi, a few bits of extra carbon, and luggage, and it will probably bring $15-16k tops on the used market, that my delta to get into a new Multi is at least $10k. Since I personally prefer the Ohlins stuff and have my bike dialed in to my liking this just isn't worth it for me. I do want a warranty however.




Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
I am 100% getting extended warranty.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #4618
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..
 
Dr. Greg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
I do have 1 complaint about Muliti= $20,000 & no cruise? Am I alone here? I know about the tune boy fix but that is not the point. In my initial research it was not a biggie but after looking @ some of these accessories they did add that seem silly like the auto gas cap,different Hand guards, etc. how was cruise not added?
Lotsa things omitted from this "ADV"-oriented motorcycle. Yes, I know...I'm in the minority. Everybody LOVES the bike. Couldn't believe it didn't come with cruise control. Domenicali doesn't get it, but he doesn't live in the western USA...

IMHO it's a comfy sportbike first, everything else WAAAY second. And this is after my putting almost 50,000 miles on the thing, and crossing the USA several times. And yes, I was an "early adopter" of the Tuneboy cruise. It's OK, but its tuning (not engine tuning, the dynamic response of the cruise control itself) is not quite spot-on.

Ducati doesn't really "get" the ADV thing, IMHO. I feel they shoulda made the MTS12 much easier to maintain. I gave up trying to maintain it myself, and got a service contract to ease the financial pain a little.

A Ducati with >10,000 miles still seems like a rarity. Nobody rides these things; dunno why they buy them. Domenicali knows that.

Off the soapbox now...it's a slow day at work (even though I'm retired)...

--Doc
__________________
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)

Dr. Greg screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 12:40 PM
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #4619
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
aceonthebeach3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Please share with us what you find in terms of aftermarket warranties. My '11 just went out in January and seeing as there's nothing else out there with the combination of qualities this bike has I don't find myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I figure that I've got $25k in my S Sport, with the full Termi, a few bits of extra carbon, and luggage, and it will probably bring $15-16k tops on the used market, that my delta to get into a new Multi is at least $10k. Since I personally prefer the Ohlins stuff and have my bike dialed in to my liking this just isn't worth it for me. I do want a warranty however.
My dealer told me that all extended warranties are offered by aftermarket companies now. But he said this is better because the cost has went down & covered items has went up. The two main companies(this maybe my area) doing extended warranties are triumph & WPS. They ended up dropping the triumph option because the WPS was so much better. The big advantage in a WPS warranty vs the older Ducati warranties is you can take your Ducati to any WPS dealer & have warranty work done vs just Ducati dealers. WPS & parts unlimited are the two big parts suppliers= more options for warranty work.
He told me extra 5 years full coverage (7 total with factory) $1,159. Hope this helps
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4620
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer
 
aceonthebeach3's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C
Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I figure that I've got $25k in my S Sport, with the full Termi,

Your opinion on full termi? Added later or put on when bike was new?
__________________
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014