User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #2011
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,297
Two dealers.

Have listed new Terras on Ebay for $6500 brand new! Pretty good deal if you live in New York or West Virginia! Wonder if Hall's would match that price?
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2012
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Thank you HF for posting this. Too much speculating on what if and what might be. Yep, cut the BS and just ride a Terra or Strada.
You will like it! 500 miles and counting on my Terra.
.. Yes, Internet forums are no place for here say, speculation, bullshit and general lightheartedness. Ban all silliness and silly people. In fact ban me, I should be out riding
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #2013
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Made my own panniers.

Yes, definitely Way to Go RE!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #2014
Bain Dramage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I talked to a dealer yesterday who sells Husky (but not BMW or KTM) and he said he was informed that his dealership would continue to sell Husky after the sale of Husky becomes final.

His understanding is that KTM will be KTM, and Husky will be an entirely different line, sold at a different price point - and that the two brands would share some technology, but would not be "blended" or compete with one another (like what Lexus/Toyota does now).

He also believes that the Terra would continue to be sold because it is so popular, but that it would likely receive a new engine within a year to two.

One person's perspective.

PS - I'm going to take one for a test ride. It looks like one heck of a sweet bike.
Bain Dramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #2015
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by begeberg View Post
Have listed new Terras on Ebay for $6500 brand new! Pretty good deal if you live in New York or West Virginia! Wonder if Hall's would match that price?
Hall's phone number is 217-789-0107. Call them from work and you don't have to pay for the call.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #2016
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain Dramage View Post
I talked to a dealer yesterday who sells Husky (but not BMW or KTM) and he said he was informed that his dealership would continue to sell Husky after the sale of Husky becomes final.

His understanding is that KTM will be KTM, and Husky will be an entirely different line, sold at a different price point - and that the two brands would share some technology, but would not be "blended" or compete with one another (like what Lexus/Toyota does now).

He also believes that the Terra would continue to be sold because it is so popular, but that it would likely receive a new engine within a year to two.

One person's perspective.

PS - I'm going to take one for a test ride. It looks like one heck of a sweet bike.
Was that Good Times or Moto Exotica?
The above approach is the right one, IMO. Consistency is important. If they do switch motors, doing so will be a major PR hurdle. A new motor will create essentially TWO Husky Terra's. Will be very interesting to see how this is handled.

In any case the current bike will be supported for years. If I could afford one ... I would buy one now. Could turn out that the Terra ends up being a
"rare jewel"?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #2017
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Post about Moss tool "turned off" for TRs?

Over on Cafe Husky a inmate posted that he had went into dealer requesting the Moss be hooked up to tune his new TR. Their response was its been "turned off" and they can't help him.

He wants to confirm..just curious if anyone's gotten Moss treatment recently. I sure hope this was just a lazy or misinformed dealer and not true. My hope is they maybe didn't know how to link up to the system..(password...or something simple)
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #2018
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,297
Nope...

Keeping my TE610 for now. They would only give me $3500 trade in for it! Plus the way you buy new bikes you will be selling that Terra in a year or two and by then I might be ready....

Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Hall's phone number is 217-789-0107. Call them from work and you don't have to pay for the call.
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #2019
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,874
Just stumbled across all the aforementioned Touratech accessories in one package. Good thing I speak German!

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #2020
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,143
My gut feeling is developing into something like this.

The Terra/Strada is clearly a fantastic bike at a great price, esp for what you get. The sales and demand for the TE650's are thru the roof for Husky. That very possibly helped a great deal with BMW's selling of the Husky line. In the near future, I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see a significant price increase. I also wouldn't be suprised with the Strada/Terra continue with the same engine bought directly from the engine Manufacturer as it is not BMW and the head is completely different from the engines used in the various BMW models. The ECU is completely different and not BMW.

I would suggest that if you have any interest or plans at all to aquire this bike, now is a good time to do it.

I am extremely happy with mine.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2021
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
I always liked Motorcycle Consumer News as the info seems pretty accurate. If no one has read this one, it is informative and compares with the BMW Sertao. http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2013JanTR650.pdf

BMW does own the engine design. Loncin is their vendor, producing the engines under license for BMW. Their agreement allows for Loncin to manufacture the engines for BMW and Loncin to use the engine for its internal market only. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...g650gs-engine/

I hope the bike continues, but never really understand why BMW allowed it to do so at that price. But at least all the profit, if any, went into the same corporate pocket.

Stranger things have happened, maybe BMW will allow the sales of the engines to KTM even if it is allowing a competitor to under sell them with a better product.

I know it bores some people, but Loncin manufactured 2.5 MILLION motorcycles for its intermal use last year. Bajaj close to 1 MILLION. That is where the money is.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 11:28 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #2022
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I always liked Motorcycle Consumer News as the info seems pretty accurate. If no one has read this one, it is informative and compares with the BMW Sertao. http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2013JanTR650.pdf

BMW does own the engine design. Loncin is their vendor. In 10/2012 they signed an agreement for Loncin to continue manufacture of the engines for BMW and allowed Loncin to use the engine for its internal market only.

I hope the bike continues, but never really understand why BMW allowed it to do so at that price. But at least all the profit, if any, went into the same corporate pocket.

Stranger things have happened, maybe BMW will allow the sales of the engines to KTM even if it is allowing a competitor to under sell them with a better product.

I know it bores some people, but Loncin manufactured 2.5 MILLION motorcycles for its intermal use last year. Bajaj close to 1 MILLION. That is where the money is.
One possibility could be that BMW had a long term contract with Loncin for the Husky motors. Rather than cancel this contract and face litigation ... or a big payout, they simply "assigned" the contract to the new owner ... Pierer AG. This is pretty common in business, means a smoother transition with no further litigation.

Once that Loncin contract expires it will be up to Pierer AG/Bajaj/KTM, et al to decide what to do. Do they bring the motor in house to India? Use same design ... or start over? Bring it to KTM in Austria? ... or continue to manufacture in Loncin and re-new the contract. It's possible BMW's deal may have caveats preventing this last bit ... who knows? If I were Pierer, continuing production at Loncin would be my first choice.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #2023
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
We can discuss all the maybes in the world. Pierre, KTM and Bajaj all stated the same business plan. Spread design, production, parts, and service cost over a range of marques and models. One of those engines does not look like the others.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 02:26 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #2024
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 590
Tr690?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
One possibility could be that BMW had a long term contract with Loncin for the Husky motors. Rather than cancel this contract and face litigation ... or a big payout, they simply "assigned" the contract to the new owner ... Pierer AG. This is pretty common in business, means a smoother transition with no further litigation.

Once that Loncin contract expires it will be up to Pierer AG/Bajaj/KTM, et al to decide what to do. Do they bring the motor in house to India? Use same design ... or start over? Bring it to KTM in Austria? ... or continue to manufacture in Loncin and re-new the contract. It's possible BMW's deal may have caveats preventing this last bit ... who knows? If I were Pierer, continuing production at Loncin would be my first choice.
Could there be a TR690 in the future? If it could get 50 MPG that would be a nice upgrade. Seems like people always want a little more power.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #2025
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Could there be a TR690 in the future? If it could get 50 MPG that would be a nice upgrade. Seems like people always want a little more power.
Don'tthey always.

Regards, Paul