Oddometer: 49,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRP6001 View Post
The cop was aware that he was being recorded, at 1:41 he states
"gettin' this on film? Cause I am." His arrogance is the most disgusting
part of his behavior. The cop was changing lanes, merging behind the
bike, and did not expect the rider to come to a stop, an easy mistake
to make, but still a mistake. I get the impression that the cop expected
the rider to be aggressive, cut the merging car off, and close the gap.
Instead, he was riding conservatively and being polite to another driver.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,949
Ah, so he did. Missed that in his tourette's demo. Guess it's be a case of duelling videos...

The only thing I would fault the rider on is that he moved over into the right side of his lane (the outer lane of a multilane road) too often, which can give the impression that the lane is either unoccupied or can signal that the lane is about to become unoccupied. In stop-and-go or slowly moving traffic I tend to take possession of the left-third of the lane to show that it is occupied since that tends to be "the blind quarter" for traffic to the left lane. In faster moving or highway traffic I tend to move frequently between the left-third and the right-third of the lane, to stay in lateral motion to keep from blending in with the traffic, rather a SMIDSY move.

Not to nitpick, this is my style of riding awareness.

--Bill
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #18
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
All I have to say is that if it had been the other way around, where a citizen had rear-ended the cop, who's fault would it have been?
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,322
While how the rider was riding is technically legal - he was driving pretty poorly. You know the types, when you're in heavy traffic and you get stuck behind someone who just doesn't "get it" and screws up the flow.....that's how the guy was riding.....

None of that changes that that cop should be fired immediately and made to forfeit his pension for violating the public trust however. He's not fit to be any position of authority, never mind have power of death over life.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #20
shu

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
While how the rider was riding is technically legal - he was driving pretty poorly. You know the types, when you're in heavy traffic and you get stuck behind someone who just doesn't "get it" and screws up the flow.....that's how the guy was riding.....

No one here knows what the rider was seeing or what he was thinking. I wouldn't second guess his reason for slowing. Anybody, you, me, or the police, is required to stay far enough back that they don't hit the vehicle in front of them no matter what happens. Period. If you run into another vehicle you get an automatic 'following too closely' ticket. At least, that's how it works in Colorado. (Of course, the guy in front can get a ticket for what they're doing also.)

None of that changes that that cop should be fired immediately and made to forfeit his pension for violating the public trust however. He's not fit to be any position of authority, never mind have power of death over life.
I agree. He screwed up and used the power that we gave him to intimidate the rider into not reporting the incident. It went from minor traffic infraction to a major violation on the cop's part.

...........shu
shu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,626
Wow. If I were that rider I'd be getting a lawyer too. It didn't seem like that hard of a hit but a patrol car has a lot of mass and there could be quite a bit of damage that I'd want the city to be paying for.

Even if there were no damage, I'd still want to go after the department just because of that officer's behavior. That kind of action on the part of the people who are supposed to be upholding the law is unacceptable, no matter how minor. That officer needs, at the very least, an official reprimand and re-training on traffic laws.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,857
The motorcyclist messed up... He should have done a wheelie in front of the cop.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #23
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 484
As much as I generally support LEO...this badge is in the yellow/red zone of my assholemeter.

What "the cop should have done" has been commented on...and I've had to do it. On two occasions that I recall in the years I was a cop I had minor contact or nearly rubbed another vehicle (disclaimer: these are the incidents where it was really minor traffic stuff - no real damage/injury...not the incidents where I damaged and/or totaled cars in pursuits/PITS - thats another story ).

Both times I stopped and checked on the folks involved - just typical motorists, said that I was distracted momentarly, said sorry, gave them my card and said do you want a supervisor to respond? Both incidents the other folks said, no problem...and all was well. Very cool.

One of the most important aspects of being an LEO is the ability to recognize when your "off course" and what to do next...maybe your just trending into making a mistake, maybe your already knee deep in the poo...it's no time for the asswipe with a badge approach...stop, reassess and take a step to fix the problem the right way, right now.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
How do you think the Officer would have reacted if the rider had rear-ended HIM and then scolded him to "keep up with traffic" and that he should get a boatload of tickets ?

That's right, The guy would be lucky to get off with being Tazed.

I think the riders somewhat timid riding is over-emphasized with the top-of-helmet vantage point, - while he DID seem to me to not be owning his space, the Officer's "Accuse, Intimidate & Bluster" routine looks pretty practiced. This guy should be a greeter at Wal-Mart, not trusted with the power of arrest.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,265
I already posted in the other thread!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Bet you he was on his phone. I see that ALL time.
I think he was eating a donut too while running the guys plate number on the laptop
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
Rider should have done a better job of protecting himself in heavy traffic. You should be aware of the hazards in front and behind. In Nevada, he may not have had the right to stop in traffic. Impeding is on the books in a number of states. Absolutely no reason to slow down that much for someone who maybe wanted to move into the lane. That move should have been done less abruptly.

That said, if you hit someone in front of you, you screwed the pooch.

Remember, a skinny motorcycle makes people look beyond you. They can end up just not seeing what you do if what you've done is not within the norm of the rest of the flow.

The only avoidable/preventable crash is the one where a meteor hits you in the back of the head....and only then from a high angle of attack.
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.

However, the LEO should be expected to be better than that (or at least that's the usual hype, despite many observations to the contrary). He should be an observant, skilled driver and be able to tell if someone else on the road is squirrelly and give them an appropriately larger space. It's part of his job after all.

The officer was taking the typical approach they are trained to do: "Always be in control of every interaction" but was doing it by being the an overly aggressive prick - the same way most inexperienced or inconfident LEOs do. I'd have let it slide up to the point where he said he could write a load of tickets and then it would have been "game on!" - or at least I'd like to think so. It's a bit harder to think straight when you've got some asshole yelling at you, which is what the cop was counting on of course.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
As is most usual, both rider and driver were at fault. On balance, I'd say the rider mostly.
Do you seriously think the rider was mostly at fault? He slowed down so that a car could see that it had space to merge and then to give it proper following distance. Then he got hit by another vehicle. I'm certainly not saying that his riding was perfect, but seriously, it's everyone's personal responsibility to make sure that they don't run into stuff. If I rear end someone it's my fault, not the other guys fault for driving in a somewhat weird way.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Do you seriously think the rider was mostly at fault? He slowed down so that a car could see that it had space to merge and then to give it proper following distance. Then he got hit by another vehicle. I'm certainly not saying that his riding was perfect, but seriously, it's everyone's personal responsibility to make sure that they don't run into stuff. If I rear end someone it's my fault, not the other guys fault for driving in a somewhat weird way.
He was nearly riding in the gutter... and he didn't slow down, he stopped. Completely unecessarily in my opinion.

As I said, the cop should have figured out the motorcyclist was riding erattically and paid more attention. They were both at fault.

Put two inept or distracted drivers close enough together and stuff happens! Nobody should be surprised by that. It was the cop's attitude that was wrong.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote