ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #196
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Are you saying all F motors are not created equal?

Regards, Paul
There's a well documented issue with the 2006/07 engine problems
on the S and ST, resolved before GS and R came out.

Also, the S and ST have different power output to GS and R I believe.

R has the most power, shortest gearing, and usually quoted best MPG figures.
Go figure.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #197
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic
 
LoneTraveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Garden State
Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
And would be a basic model re: engine and addons.
I just tried to price out a C350 vs an E350. The C would be about $58k, the E, about $54k. Granted, that's adding all the features that the E has to the C. Either way, there's no way in hell I would pay almost 60 large for a German piece of shit like that.

Subarus are so much better anyway, and half the price.
__________________
2000 Concours - Gone, but not forgotten.
2012 Concours 14 - Concours 2.0

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #198
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Are you saying all F motors are not created equal?

Regards, Paul
As others have said, early ones could get piston slap.

There were also early issues with stalling.

A few niggles were fixed with recalls.

I really like the discontinued 800S, but in an ideal world it would have to be 2008-on.
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #199
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dieselpwr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
I just tried to price out a C350 vs an E350. The C would be about $58k, the E, about $54k. Granted, that's adding all the features that the E has to the C. Either way, there's no way in hell I would pay almost 60 large for a German piece of shit like that.

Subarus are so much better anyway, and half the price.
Close the door on a Benz and on a Subaru and there's a huge difference. Personally I'm a Audi/VW fan, but a Benz is not a POS.
__________________
2011 BMW R1200R Classic
Dieselpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #200
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher
 
jeepinbanditrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: MCAS MIRAMAR
Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
As others have said, early ones could get piston slap.

There were also early issues with stalling.

A few niggles were fixed with recalls.

I really like the discontinued 800S, but in an ideal world it would have to be 2008-on.
mid/late 09 is when they finally fixed the stator issue. If you have a pre-09 and want to "upgrade" to the updated parts that's gonna run ya around a grand.
__________________
2004 Suzuki DL650 Weestrom
1978 GS 1000
"Those who would trade security for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #201
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,225
i like the looks of this. I'd definately consider it if i was looking to replace my k1200rs and my aprilia futura.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #202
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
i like the looks of this. I'd definately consider it if i was looking to replace my k1200rs and my aprilia futura.
That's interesting.
I'd rather have those two. :)
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #203
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
That's interesting.
I'd rather have those two. :)
that's why i said 'if'
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #204
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
that's why i said 'if'
It's gonna get twice the mileage out of the same fuel then those two if
anything.

__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #205
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........
 
Gezerbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere......
Oddometer: 3,323
I was at the dealer Saturday and he had a white one on the floor. Really sharp in both the white and the grey, not so sure of the orange. I really like the looks and size of it and since I ride solo, it fits well. Probably a set of bar baks away from fitting really good. And the thought of it being soooo much lighter than my slant 4 KGT, it is very tempting, especially as I am not getting stronger as I get older. The dealer threw me a $ 13,700 price out the door for a fully loaded one. Bags would add another $ 875. Tempting, but the thought of giving up all the creature comforts of the big GT, as well at the 150hp motor, and another $ 4000 to boot makes it a pretty tough call. I guess a test ride might be in order.............
__________________
___________________________________________

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #206
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
IslandMonkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Manchester (ish), England
Oddometer: 372
For what it's worth, MCN reviewed the GT this week and although I only skimmed the article (I was in a shop), it appeared to be very positive.
__________________
Sean
IslandMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #207
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,225
I was at an out-of-state BMW dealer this weekend and they had an F800GT demo bike that I got to sit on. It definately felt roomier than my Futura. cycle-ergo.com now has the F800GT listed, so you can compare it to your current bike if interested. I'd have a 9-degree forward lean angle on the F800GT compared to 24 on my Futura.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of sitting on the K1600GT before sitting on the F800GT. It's like comparing a nice comfy chair and a couch.

I'm now seriously considering swapping my Futura and K1200RS for an F800GT. Hopefully the missus doesn't see this.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #208
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I was at an out-of-state BMW dealer this weekend and they had an F800GT demo bike that I got to sit on. It definately felt roomier than my Futura. cycle-ergo.com now has the F800GT listed, so you can compare it to your current bike if interested. I'd have a 9-degree forward lean angle on the F800GT compared to 24 on my Futura.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of sitting on the K1600GT before sitting on the F800GT. It's like comparing a nice comfy chair and a couch.

I'm now seriously considering swapping my Futura and K1200RS for an F800GT. Hopefully the missus doesn't see this.
Where's that damn "SHARE ON FACEBOOK & TWITTER" button!?
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #209
Twinz
Studly Adventurer
 
Twinz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: VT
Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I was at an out-of-state BMW dealer this weekend and they had an F800GT demo bike that I got to sit on. It definately felt roomier than my Futura. cycle-ergo.com now has the F800GT listed, so you can compare it to your current bike if interested. I'd have a 9-degree forward lean angle on the F800GT compared to 24 on my Futura.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of sitting on the K1600GT before sitting on the F800GT. It's like comparing a nice comfy chair and a couch.

I'm now seriously considering swapping my Futura and K1200RS for an F800GT. Hopefully the missus doesn't see this.
Well, Stu, I guess I'll have to sit on an F800GT myself. My local beemer dealer also sells Triumph, so I can sit on an 800 Tiger as well. No riding around here...expecting another 12" of snow over the next couple of days! My Futura is currently in pieces in the basement! Do you think you'll miss the Futura's horsepower?
__________________
Twinz, Montpelier, VT
04 aprilia Futura, Ash Black - love it!
Gone but not forgotten:
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #210
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!
 
Disco Stu's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: The Center of my Own Universe
Oddometer: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Well, Stu, I guess I'll have to sit on an F800GT myself. My local beemer dealer also sells Triumph, so I can sit on an 800 Tiger as well. No riding around here...expecting another 12" of snow over the next couple of days! My Futura is currently in pieces in the basement! Do you think you'll miss the Futura's horsepower?
I'm not sure if I'd miss the power or not, I didn't have my gear with me to take the F800GT for a test ride. But I think it would be more comfortable for long trips, I get pretty uncomfortable on the Futura after 350 miles or so in a day.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014