User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Diabolic,

Dude, I missed your post earlier. Have just looked at your ride report... looks like you were having fun.

I really like the retro looks of the Van Van, and a whole fleet of them! They look really nice all lined up together.

It's nice to know there are other, older bikers with full licenses out there who are choosing to make trips on 125s.

Quick update on our planning:

Spent this afternoon knocking up, and tweaking, a 12v lead onto the battery. then a double USB adapter into this to run/charge the Garmin GPS and the helmet intercom. We'll be taking a one night camping trip this month to test in the field the intercom and GPS.
We're keen not to use turn-by-turn satnav when we traverse Spain and France, as I think this will ruin the trip by being too restrictive.
Instead I have a hiking GPS mounted to the handlebars which just contains a massive list of locations we'd like to visit, leaving us free to pick and choose our routes ad-hoc on the day, see how we feel. A 'looser' more free approach to GPS nav.

Paper maps as backup. Love paper maps. And the Michelin maps of France have the added bonus of highlighting the scenic routes in green, so we can keep the 125s on the small, pretty roads while hopping from waypoint to waypoint.

Will post up pics of the test trip in due course.
Jonny_Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Fantastic!

Nice touring on the small bikes. Several great photos in your RR. Thanks. This one is very reminiscent of cycling country roads in Europe. We just don't have these old stone fences that often. Keep bringing it.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Nice photos. Looks like you have some fun. A bit too cold for me the first morning at the camp.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:02 AM   #19
Volksg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, indeed its a great ride, and 125cc goes to where the others go, im a full license driver in Portugal and my "tourer" bike its a 125cc, with them we make part of the landscape, and im always on secondary roads so a 125cc or a 750cc its the same with the bonus of the 125cc gas mileage

You can see here my adventures in my 125cc

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857191
Volksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

Oddometer: 90
Have you thought of getting some throw over panniers for your trip to Spain and France? Something like these -

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/motorc...che-style.html

or these -

http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorbike...ERON_Heatproof

Or even a decent sized rucksack across the back seat? I would also bungee the tent on to the grab rail just above the rear light. You have plenty of unused space on those photos that you could easily pack a spare set of clothing on to
Mortis (the Brit) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

Oh, and on the subject of maps, get one of these -

http://www.tuffmap.co.uk/

They are far better than the paper version and are waterproof. A bit small scale but ideal for when you've taken an alternative route you didn't intend to (AKA got lost).
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Volksg
Adventurer

Cheap homemade ammo boxs panniers....

Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #23
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the suggestions, we're both currently looking into panniers for the France trip.
Most of the ones we've seen are huge and look a bit daft on our bikes.

In the photo, there is a lot of unused space, but this was probably taken on a day when the tents were already off the bikes. The yellow bag you can see is actually a 50l waterproof pack liner, so there's plenty of room in there to allow for extra kit. So long as it fits under the cargo net.

One issue we still have, is being able to get off the bikes and wander around some of the French cities. It's not a problem in the more rural areas, but when we're away from the bikes for a long time in cities, we'll need an easy way to take the gear with us for security.
For this, I like the idea Mortis suggests of a rucksack strapped to the pillion. Again, so long as it can be made secure. I imagine it will be heavy and will stick out a fair way each side. I guess it's another thing to add to the list of tests to carry out on our test ride in a couple of weekend's time.
Jonny_Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #24
Volksg
Adventurer

before, my travels are like this....

it was a pain in the ass to contantly strap and unstrap the cargo...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #25
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,949
[QUOTE=Jonny_Tallboy;20825954]
Passing over quaint bridges...

FRONT PAGE NOMINATION!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #26
ajt2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksg View Post
Cheap homemade ammo boxs panniers....

Those panniers look great! Have you got any more details on how you mounted them to the bike?

Getting a box is pretty straight forward, however, the bit I'm struggling with is mounting the box on the bike!

Any more pics or advice would be really helpful!
ajt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #27
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

AJT2, where abouts in L**ds are you? I'm from Bradford but I work in Stourton. If you need help making brackets, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Being from Bradford, I struggle to type L**ds
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Great RR! That's the beauty of this "thing" we do....you don't have to have all the farkles and horsepower to still have a great time and a fine adventure. Underboning was kidding you because he and his wife rode around the world on a pair of Symbas!! There's a young american riding in Spain right now on a pretty small displacement machine....he has a rr going under the nom de moto of "PorLaTierra"....and he seems to get around okay, though I think most of his trips do not involve carrying much gear. A couple of Americans rode two-up with camping gear on a Ninja 250 and made it all the way down into Argentina IIRC. Their report might be here, or else at the other place, but it just goes to show how capable small bikes can be! Looking forward to this next journey!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
ajt2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis (the Brit) View Post
AJT2, where abouts in L**ds are you? I'm from Bradford but I work in Stourton. If you need help making brackets, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Being from Bradford, I struggle to type L**ds
Thanks for the offer!

Do you think I need to get some welding gear to fabricate a custom bracket or is there a way to do so without welding?

ajt2 screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 02:42 PM
ajt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
Sableye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
you can get a universal custom screen for 40-50 on ebay that fits onto the handlebars. A cheap set of acerbis hand guards will help with the wind hill on the finger greatly 15.

125er myself, always a big adventure :-)