Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,271
heres a good use for a vertical shaft engine....

I built both craft with 4 stroke engines from riding mowers (from plans). if you don't mind the noise of a 2 stroke then more power & lighter weight are always a good thing.

tap in the pic below to run short video

Beezer screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 06:05 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,396
Don't they get their cooling by taking in fresh water and exhausting it. another hurdle to get around.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 695
A closed cooling system wouldn't be that hard to imagine but the water pump on an outboard motor might be an issue. Transmission would be easy if you had room for a jack shaft - just use one from a snowmobile.
panhead_dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #19
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Front wheel drive!

Finally! you could power from the front, where high performance cars have been taking advantage of the front weight bias provided by their engine placement! Drive and Steer Where the Weight is!
The outboard motor control replaces the right handgrip, and you can even maintain REVERSE GEAR!

Think of the convenience of underseat storage, a blast of warm air straight to your faceshield in all weather conditions, and the ability to instantly smell diagnose any problems that may arise!

Power your Scoot with Outboard Tech today!
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley/Hobbfather View Post
Finally! you could power from the front, where high performance cars have been taking advantage of the front weight bias provided by their engine placement! Drive and Steer Where the Weight is!
The outboard motor control replaces the right handgrip, and you can even maintain REVERSE GEAR!

Think of the convenience of underseat storage, a blast of warm air straight to your faceshield in all weather conditions, and the ability to instantly smell diagnose any problems that may arise!

Power your Scoot with Outboard Tech today!

I'm imagining what your describing, I'm picturing some sort of funky fwd bmw lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Wicked I have been spending way too much time on EBAY lately

looking at building a xr powered bobber for my daughter, and a snowmobile powered one for myself. The biggest downside I can see to using an engine designed for marine applications would be the cooling, I think. The cooling system on most of them is basically water as far as I know- and the engine is most likely designed to maintain operating temperature with a constant supply of 60-80 degree water. recirculating 160-180 degree coolant may cause some heat issues. I would love to have something ridiculous on a bike though- 200hp v6 hooked to a harley right side drive trans (should alleviate any offset issues) in a lightweight bike sounds like one sexy little suicide machine to me...
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
ROUNDSTOCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
motor

daves custom boats in san diego ran an outboard in a sandcar and was making serious power along with no weight it moved right along........
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Shaft angle shouldn't be too big of an issue - after all, outboards all tilt when trimmed, and can be run with the engine trimmed all the way up, even the 4 strokes, so long as its got water.

I don't think any of the mfg are making the engine so if you trim up too far it loses its oil.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote