Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #406
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I hope you can resolve your slippage perception. The tech from Peterson's was pretty interesting, right? I was surprised to hear stock springs and HD plates were lasting a full year of racing.

Don't know if you guys noticed, but they don't run a radiator!!
The motor certainly sounded like it wasn't spinning up during the climb. At that low of RPM, do you think 125-150HP to the tire, and what kind of torque? I don't know how the 50/50 nitro blend works with the injection system, but the bike was effortlessly digging its way anywhere Bret wanted to go. Even when he looked crossed up and getting sideways, he motored right out, flinging a truck load of dirt as he went. Traction blow out/forward momentum is probably their biggest problem.
With Nitro those numbers wouldn't be too surprising. That stuff makes excellent cylinder pressures. Its a testament to KTM that they can run stock pistons. That's reassuring for the turbo project!

Past stable : 90 +
Tommy_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #407
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

I mentioned this bike went on a diet, in addition to the Li battery. Eliminating the left muffler exposed the rear fender, which is fairly ugly since it was made to be hidden by the exhaust. I decided to fix this with a fenderectomy. This is fine for SoCal but would be less appealing in wetter climates.

Here the fender is removed and the aluminum foil insulation is partially pulled off.

The weight was cut in half by cutting the fender in half

Conveniently, there are holes in the subframe gussets which can be used to support the rear part of the fender. These holes were countersunk to fit some Ti fasteners I had. Rubber grommets of appropriate length were cut from rubber hose. It bolted right back in and the lithium battery was installed.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #408
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Nice fender trim. I would do the same to clear the ugly sides but use all the space in my trunk, for junk. You could fold a close out plate with some tabs and rivet it on. A little silicone around the edge and you'd be back to rain/puddle/dirt resistant. If you offroad that baby much, it might be a good idea, just to keep the space from filling with dirt and rocks.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #409
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Bump TTT

I fiddled with the FCR's the other day, swapped to my carbon can and wondered if you had gotten any new action developing your turbo.
I can get the tank off, change needle clip and put it back together in less than a 1/2hr (barring additional hunt time for any dropped parts).
How is the new plenum for on and off time?
Old 08-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #410
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_J View Post
I kept thinking I would get around to making a slick video. Here's a clip from today's ride. Its not slick and the sound sucks but its something.

This is actually a pretty steep climb and the torque is very satisfying for this kind of riding. The boost gauge reads in inches of mercury where 10 inHg is actually less than 5 psi.

just catching-up with this thread

fantastic project

following with interest
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #411
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 702
wwwww ow !

Quote:
Step Two : Select Turbo

Looks like a clone of a Borg Warner K03 will do fine. This trim should be good for 180 HP at a pressure ratio of 1.63, or 9.26 psi boost. Not that I’ll ever run it that hard. Peak boost is achieved at 4200 RPM.

Here's the efficiency map
My kind of crazy, is map from actual turbo or the kkk original ?
Thanks,Ed

pennswoodsed screwed with this post 08-28-2011 at 05:20 PM Reason: space
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #412
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 453
Wow, that thing is so cool and even more amazing, it runs!

Two questions about the intake plenum, if you don't mind. Let me preface by saying I have never worked with turbos, so I'm looking at this as a relative outsider:

1. I would have thought building the carbs inside the plenum would get rid of several problems. You wouldn't need a separate boost line for the vents, nor worry about the carb internals holding up to the extra pressure differential. Also sealing the plenum to the head rather than carb boots might be easier, and carb jets/needle would be more accessible. Why did you decide to keep them separate? Was it just to simplify the shape or is there something I'm missing about how blow-through works?

2. Where did you get the aluminum mesh plate for the air filter housing? It's exactly what I need for an intake project, but I haven't been able to find it.

Again, kudos on this project. The design is brilliant and the execution is inspiring. Many have said this already but if I were you I wouldn't tire of hearing it

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #413
Michael Back
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Windscreen ???

Hello !

Thanks for the great info. I recently joined the Orange club and have purchased a KTM SM950. I´m very curious what windscreen is fitted on FangFactor´s bike ??

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

All the best.

Michael Back, Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
The ADV or SE headers bolt right up to an SM or SMR(same exhaust). The standard ADV 2-into-1 conversion process can then be done for a single muffler. The fringe benefit to ADV pipes are the added ground clearance!!
This is FangFactor's bike, he is in Australia:

A stock SM header is an easy single side conversion, it is already a single pipe at the end...
I took my 2-onto-1 to a well known exhaust mfg and they said that there isn't enough of an SM market to even recover their tooling costs. The name brands do business in the thousands of pieces and not dozens.

ETA: pics
Attached Images

Michael Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #414
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Back View Post
Hello !

Thanks for the great info. I recently joined the Orange club and have purchased a KTM SM950. I´m very curious what windscreen is fitted on FangFactor´s bike ??

Thanks for your assistance in advance.

All the best.

Michael Back, Denmark
Looks like something by Screens For Bikes from OZ.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #415
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Question ????????????????????

Whatever happened to the turbo bike?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #416
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Almost forgot about this.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #417
Tommy_J OP
won't drive a car

I really should do some follow ups. Sorry for letting the thread go quiet for so long.

The bike is running great. It hasn't blown up or given me any grief. I've done a bunch more minor refinements to it which I'll try to write up.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #418
soupknotzee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241

Quote:
I really should do some follow ups. Sorry for letting the thread go quiet for so long.

The bike is running great. It hasn't blown up or given me any grief. I've done a bunch more minor refinements to it which I'll try to write up.
soupknotzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #419
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:

Nice!
Really happy to hear that.
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #420
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:

I would love to see how you have refined your concept!

Tell us more tell us more!!!