Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #16
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,541
My experience is that a relay kit and Philips/Narva +50's are a good compromise with good light and lifetime.

+80's on the other hand only lasted months.

If you want serious light output, add LED aux lights.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
I carry at least one spare and sometimes two spare headlight bulbs. Changing a burnt bulb on the side of the road at night still sucks, but it's better than not being able to change the bulb at all.
FWIW, I carry spare bulbs,alt belt, etc....
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmccann View Post
edit2: Stern suggested I purchase 2x 65w H7 bulbs. The stock bulbs are 55w, he said it won't be a problem dropping in the 65w ones but is that true?
Most likely it is true. I've had numerous interactions with Daniel Stern, and he's never steered me wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
edit2: Stern suggested I purchase 2x 65w H7 bulbs. The stock bulbs are 55w, he said it won't be a problem dropping in the 65w ones but is that true?
You'll want a relay and beefier wiring to run the lights. Also, the extra 20W may overheat the housing in summer.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #20
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
The thing that moved me over to HID lights was that it would make things so much brighter due to the scatter of light. What if I got a white halogen for the low beam, and the same color in HID for my high beam? I'm typically using my high beam on my way home anyways...
"Scatter of light" is exactly what fellow road users do not want to see from your headlight. To me, that implies sending light where you don't need it and is often the result of mounting an HID bulb in a headlight designed for a filament bulb. The HID arc and the halogen filament are different shapes sizes and possibly orientation. The market seems to be flooded with poor quality retrofit kits so getting a good result requires luck.

HIDs are good for high output at the same or lower power consumption. The light still needs to be aimed at the same place. No scatter. Higher color temps reportedly produce less lumens. I have a 4300k bulb, the lowest I could get, and it looks true white, more blue than yellow.

HID's make poor dedicated high beams. They take time to reach full brightness and excessive restriking the bulb supposedly takes a toll on life.

Bi-xenon projectors are typically what's retrofitted. Essentially they are a high beam with a shutter that frames the light in the pattern of a low beam. The shutter's connected to your high beam switch and flips out of the way when you want high beam. The HID bulb stays on the entire time.

Installation was tricky. Gut the headlight housing. Design a bracket to hold the projector in the housing (might be unnecessary for ADV). I bought a spare headlight to eliminate downtime. Most time consuming was figuring out how I wanted to mount and wire it. In the end, it was very simple.

I like Stern. If you can fix your issue with a better bulb, you've saved yourself a lot of hassle. I'd probably add a relay harness regardless just to ensure the bulbs are getting the max available voltage.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Worth reading, good company to deal with IME.

www.rallylights.com/hella/BulbHelp.aspx
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
brandonmccann OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You'll want a relay and beefier wiring to run the lights. Also, the extra 20W may overheat the housing in summer.
Where would I look to obtain such? I also have no clue as to how to install that. I can solder, but wouldn't know where to start.
brandonmccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #23
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
It's true. While the plural of anecdote isn't data, I've done it on three vehicles with stock with stock wiring harnesses so far, including a MK3 VW which has a notorious weak point in the headlight switch. No problems, passed several visual inspections to date.

As others have said, a relay harness would make it rock solid, and allow full voltage to the bulbs to get the most out of them.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #24
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,670
Headlight relay

Here you go Brandon:

http://easternbeaver.com/

Jim is super-nice and helpful, he'll tell you exactly what you need. His stuff is top quality and designed for easy install.

Sarah

Quote:
Where would I look to obtain such? I also have no clue as to how to install that. I can solder, but wouldn't know where to start.