Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #136
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,432
Thanks for all the comments folks. I really appreciate the feedback, well wishes and encouragement. BTW, I realize I probably haven't said it here yet, but believe me I am indeed a very lucky man.

FYI, its been 6 months since the crash and I'm fine. Still don't have the DR650 running properly, but I only recently started working on it. I soon be taking that issue up in the big DR650 thread.

This thread grew pretty fast, so my "rest of the story" posts got pretty spread out. I added an index to them in Post #1. I'm going to answer a few questions from some previous posts and then tomorrow I'll give my take on the crash.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #137
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
I like how you throw that piece of bark, like, "fuck'in stupid landscape...stupid bullshit bark layin' around, can't find my damn motorcycle..."

Your comment fits perfectly with this one from youtube:
7:49 - "Hmm, nope, it's not under this piece of wood."

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #138
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Thank you, I am too old for that kind of shit. I am starting to see the dual sports out for sale. I will not bounce as well as you, and I have to restrain the DS urge, and get my jollies on pavement, and with my GF. You got to have priorities.

Rod
Hey Rod, don't let my crash turn you from trying dual sporting. You get to choose what type of terrain you ride in and you get to choose how conservative you want to ride.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #139
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I'm glad you are ok Joe, thank god for good gear, wow you always want a picture of your crash scene, but that was spectatular, so are you still going to DV? and isn't that DR something, a crash like that and still going, Suzuki should use that in their sales video
Not going to make DV this year Greg, and yes the DR is a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Joe,

Glad your ok.

I hope to see you at the Mendo Rally !

Paul
Thanks Paul. I plan to be there and hope I will be on the DR, otherwise it will be the wee-strom.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #140
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
I sure your buddy Darrel regaled you with exactly what to expect from the TAT post Eagle Canyon, but having been there myself, I know that it's no joke. So your decision not to tackle it at that moment in time, given your condition and that of your bike, was the right one.

So, are you planning on getting back on the TAT and completing the crossing some time this year!?
Yeah, Darrell told me it felt harder. He said whenever Sam had a choice between a dirt road and a goat path, he seemed to pick the goat path.

I do want to go back and complete the TAT, probably picking up the trail in Moab. I did the Eastern TAT solo on my wee-strom in 2009 and purposefully bought the DR650 for the Western TAT. That said, it won't happen in 2013. Stuff to do at home this year and need to rebuild trust in the DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
P.S. If you have a chance to comment on the gear you were wearing, that would be swell. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
BTW... Joe... can you tell us... what were you wearing in the way of gear? Specifically, did you have any body armor on other than what was built into your jacket?

Rob
Arai XD3 helmet. BMW Rallye gloves. BMW Rallye 2 jacket with standard back, shoulder and elbow pads. Klim Dakar pants with upgraded hip and knee pads. Sidi Crossfire boots. No pressure suit / chest protector type armor.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #141
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
Glad to hear your OK. I know how the rib thing is (if I remember right, I think you were on that trip).

Best from both of us,

Mark + Luanna
Was that the trip we were riding in Mexico . . . at night . . . in the dirt . . . in the mountains . . . in the rain? Yeah, fun times. That was certainly a memorable trip.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #142
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,289
Jeez. Glad you're ok Joe!
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #143
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Holy shit!!

I saw this on "Right This Minute" this morning!!

You are famous!! You made the "morning news"

Glad you are ok. Keep the rubber side down.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #144
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Holy shit!!

I saw this on "Right This Minute" this morning!!

You are famous!! You made the "morning news"

Glad you are ok. Keep the rubber side down.

JG
Wow, I got a youtube pm from someone there a few days ago asking about the video, but I never replied. Did you see it on their broadcast tv show or just on the web?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #145
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 921
Biff diving midnight-riding Joe, glad you came out of that alright. Looking forward to seeing you at Mendo III.

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #146
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 5,001
Dude. I hope you bought a frickin' PowerBall Ticket. Seriously. You are one tough sonofabitch. Glad you're alright.

Wow.

Just. Wow.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #147
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
Yikes! Glad to see you are okay Joe! I watched the video and followed the thread for a while, didn't realize who the rider was until you came on here and claimed it.

For the people questioning technique or skills, I have a few comments. First, having ridden with Joe a few times, he is not just a casual rider and takes that bike places most would not consider taking any bike, let alone a loaded DR650. I don't think covering brake and clutch would have made much difference in the short distance to react, too much momentum between the bike and luggage. That really changes the dynamics of the bike and the braking system.

Second, riding on "alert" like that all the time is okay when you are out for an afternoon ride, but not something like the TAT. Not saying you are not paying attention, but you ride much less aggressively and your technique changes a little bit. You go into that "alert" mode when you think it is necessary, but it's not realistic to stay at that level all the time. Having my own TAT experience last year on the eastern TAT to the OK/NM border, I can tell you that day after day of 10+ hour riding days over all sorts of terrain wears on you. Most of us have done long day trips or weekend rides, but try putting those back to back for days or weeks and it really changes the equation. You have to manage your energy and evaluate the trail and decide how aggressive to be. If you have been riding through similar terrain all day without issue, it is pretty easy to misread a 50' section of trail.

Glad to see you doing well Joe, wish I could be at the Mendo Rally again this year so we could ride together. I learned a lot trying to follow you on some of those goat trails! If you find your way over to Montana, give me a shout, I've got a parking spot and a cold beer here with your name on it!

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #148
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescent View Post
"OH F*CK!!!
Where the f*ck?
Where the f*ck is the bike?
Oh, ya gotta be shittin' me!
Where the f*ck is the road?"

My new siggie.

OUTSTANDING

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #149
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Hey Rod, don't let my crash turn you from trying dual sporting. You get to choose what type of terrain you ride in and you get to choose how conservative you want to ride.
I am 56 now, and cracked some ribs skiing. Damn that hurts. I have lots of things I enjoy, no need to add DS to the mix. I did DS some in my 20's so it is not a bucket list item. Besides, I think my guardian angel had to retire from overwork and stress. Kind of like yours in a few more years.

Glad you are OK.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #150
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,192
^^^ do what I do, see it as motorized hiking. There's a lot to see an experience off the pavement.

I'm pretty slow and cautious so when I venture off the pavement I just take it very cautiously like, well, motorized hiking.

Problem is if you are the type that cannot keep self control and inevitably wicks up the throttle. In that case, you can get in trouble and best to stay away from DS.