Carry it with you in your car.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #17
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
Carry it where you want but he screwy logic people use to justify their quirks is mind boggling.
Having broken a rib by carrying stuff in my pocket I think my justifcation is from an experience I don't want to repeat

Yes you could justify carrying it to say if your were separated from the tank bag you'd not want to crawl back ... but you could also say by carrying it you have more chance of damaging it than there is inside the tank bag? [In my circumstance the rib was broken having saved the perpetrator from all damage, I would have been happier the other way around! ] Swings and roundabouts in all directions. Take your pick. Don't blame us if it would have been better elsewhere .. 'best' is specific to one circumstance.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #18
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I carry my cell phone in lower left jacket pocket, been doing that for 11 years now.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Left rear pants pocket if I'm expecting work calls, inside left chest pocket otherwise. With the rest of the crap I carry, a pistol on the hip and spare mag in a pocket, not really worried about getting a phone shaped imprint on my ass cheek.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
On my old FJR

I use the same mount on my F800.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #21
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Worst two-wheel crash I've ever been in, I was glad i had my phone. This is before I had a smartphone, I had some kind of cheap Cricket phone, wasn't even a flip phone just a tiny screen, buttons, all one piece with a faceplate that would come off, buttons that would come off too.

I broke my right hand in that crash. In several places. I had to find all the parts to the phone, put it back together one handed, and call someone.

Now, my Ballistic-case clad Motorola smart phone would be a different story. I carry it in my chest pocket, since I doubt I will be landing flat on my chest unless I faceplant and remember to hold my arms rigidly at my sides. It then only has two snaps on the pocket, and I can get it out and call for help. The phone has already survived some pretty good whacks and drops onto a concrete floor. Fortunately, I have not yet had the pleasure of wiping out my KLR on the road so I can test how tough the phone is.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #22
D R
----

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Left Jacket Pocket!
Same location for me. To protect it from weather, I place it in a ziploc bag.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #23
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,637
Now if this was in JM there is a "First-get yourself some K-Y and a baloon..." joke in here somewhere..

But on a, let's try to help note;

One of your upper chest pockets. Another tip. Make sure you can access it with either arm in case one side becomes injured. I did not research the stats on this, but I the many, many, many times I have been down offroad and on pavement I never sustained any significant impact to my chest. Others may disagree but that is my experience.

Even with H2O proof pockets I generally carry at least two ziploks in my jacket JIC! But of course I ride a KTM so I actually spring for the ziplok brand.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #24
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Six of one, half dozen of the other. You can rationalize any scenario. I carry my phone on me in a pocket that I could reach with either hand if I needed to due to injury (of course the pocket is easier to reach with one hand or the other).

I want the phone on me so that depending upon my injuries I can call from where I am lying and not have to move to get back to my bike. I have been primarily a dirt rider though nowadays I ride more dualsport and even some paved-road-only rides on my big bike. As a dirt rider I have been in hundreds of crashes and have yet to be injured by my phone.

I don't use a tank bag so can hardly keep a phone (or anything else) in one and that still would mean the phone is with the bike and not with me. I have been in crashes where my bike slid down into a ravine or down a hill leaving me at the top. Seems to me you could fall on your tank bag as easily as fall on your phone. As for packs, a belt pack in front might be easy enough to reach but I simply don't like one there while riding. And you could fall on that too! Back packs or belt packs in back are not as easy to reach and again you could fall on them.

It's almost funny how people worry about falling on their phone yet mount all kinds of stuff on their handlebars that is sometimes rather sharp, and they don't worry about falling on that. Or they have metal cases on the bike and don't worry about being injured by those. I have broken off handlebar mounted stuff with my body during crashes.

I carry a rugged phone in either a side, chest or pants cargo pocket as the case may be. On dirt rides I don't always wear a jacket (I have a rigid chest protector) but my dirt pants have cargo pockets. On dirt rides I will wear a Camelbak with pockets but those pockets could be hard to get to depending on injury sine I'd have to take the pack off. I will take my chances on a phone bruise in order to have it within reach.

It's funny, a rider who says his jacket armor broke seven of his ribs says you shouldn't have a phone in your jacket because it might injure you; from his example it looks like you shouldn't have armor in your jacket either!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 5,915
Right sleeve pocket of my Darien. It's a cheap ass flip phone so I don't care if it gets damaged. Another one is like $19.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I normally wear a water-resistant fanny pack, in the front, that holds my phone, charger, wallet (sometimes) or whatever I would want to get to easily while out riding.

It's not fasionable, but being in the front and mid or lower abdomin, it seems like I wouldn't roll over it much if I was conscious and in a tuck as I rolled out of a get-off.
Who says it's not fashionable?

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Tank Bag.

The only things you want to carry on your body are things that will crush before you do. E.G. Hanky, muesli bars, ear plugs...

The things you want quick access too, and don't want to leave parked on the bike should go into your tank bag. E.G. Phone, wallet, camera, pens and paper, maps, sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm...
+200% I carry nothing on my body except AGATT. No keys, wallet, watches, rings (not married), but I do ride with sunglasses. All other things go in rear pack on the rack or tank bag. I don't like the potential for injury that carrying items can cause.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #28
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 5,915

Yeah I wonder why some inmates ride. How can they have any fun worrying about everything?
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
Who says it's not fashionable?

There is a difference here - he carries his firearm in his.

My firearm is in not so safe a place for a motorcycle get-off (inside the waistbelt).

Plus who the hell is gonna notice a fanny pack mounted there when you're on a bike? Or is this a thread about looking good at Starbucks in your riding gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinPrisa View Post
Seriously Dude? At any given moment on a ride you have solid steel objects, weighing several thousands of pounds, hurling at you from all directions, most of them traveling well beyond the speed limit; At least one said objects is operated by a driver that is either high on meth, texting on a cell phone, or both; And at the same time, some kid from the suburbs who just got his license and a brand new Camaro is passing traffic in the opposite lane, illegally, over a double yellow line, around a blind curve, up hill, just because he heard that they are casting in his neighborhood for “The fast and the furious 27”;

AND YOU ARE WONDERING WHERE YOU SHOULD PUT YOUR CELL PHONE?

I would suggest putting it in your lingerie drawer or in the pocket of your best skirt.
I agree, but even more - and I haven't written this yet, but I've been thinking it - I'd rather my, say, hip bone lands on my cell phone before hitting pavement. Cell phones are layered, and it would at least absorb just a tiny bit more of the impact than if one wasn't there. it could actually help out for an impact, but then it would be destroyed.

The only question, then, is where or how to have it on you without detroying it during a get-off. And for that, my friends, I still suggest either an upper pocket or a fanny-pack on the front.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 05:43 PM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
I am amused by the people who are concerned they could be injured by falling on their wallet.

The wallet is padding, dammit.

Rocks, curbs, guardrails, cars, and they're worried about their wallet hurting them???
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote