Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #1696
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
After a dusty few days of riding the bike developed the stalling issue. Tried power washing, did not help. Sprayed the stepper motor area with WD40, the bike fired up with a rough idle which made me think I just F it up. After about 30 sec the idle was back to normal and no more staling. That was 14,000 km ago.

motomart screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:25 PM
motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #1697
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomart View Post
After a dusty few days of riding the bike developed the stalling issue. Tried power washing, did not help. Sprayed the stepper motor area with 10w40, the bike fired up with a rough idle which made me think I just F it up. After about 30 sec the idle was back to normal and no more staling. That was 14,000 km ago.
The motor oil must last a lot longer than WD40.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #1698
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
My wife's Street Triple makes the same noise. Must be the 675s not the 1050s and since our 800s are based on the 675???
My Tiger 1050 and Daytona 675 have/had the same noise. It's supposed to warm up, toward the end of the week. I'm pulling the forks for servicing and am going to dig into the noise source. I'll report back.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #1699
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
The motor oil must last a lot longer than WD40.
Ahhh WD40
motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #1700
Chinookmark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion...

Every other bike on the planet just has an idle adjustment screw. No stepper motor. Has anyone considered removing the stepper motor and installing a traditional idle stop?

I know it would lose that cool anti-stall feature, but it would eliminate all the seized stepper motor problems.

Again, I'm not saying the stepper motor is so bad it needs to be removed. Just proposing a "what if" question.
Chinookmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #1701
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
My wife's Street Triple makes the same noise. Must be the 675s not the 1050s and since our 800s are based on the 675???
This is odd because the 1050 does have a stepper motor system the same or similar to our 800s. http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=610301

The 955 versions have an "Idle Air Control Valve" (IACV) instead of a stepper motor. http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...&block_03=9785 Different system altogether.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #1702
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookmark View Post
Just throwing this out there for the sake of discussion...

Every other bike on the planet just has an idle adjustment screw. No stepper motor. Has anyone considered removing the stepper motor and installing a traditional idle stop?

I know it would lose that cool anti-stall feature, but it would eliminate all the seized stepper motor problems.

Again, I'm not saying the stepper motor is so bad it needs to be removed. Just proposing a "what if" question.
The stepper motor isn't "seizing". It's length of travel is being limited by gunge buildup. Squirt of WD40 & turning ignition on/off a couple of times generally does the trick in removing gunge buildup - for a while anyway. Best solution - clean and lubricate with a dry ptfe type lub.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #1703
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
This is odd because the 1050 does have a stepper motor system the same or similar to our 800s. http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=610301

The 955 versions have an "Idle Air Control Valve" (IACV) instead of a stepper motor. http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...&block_03=9785 Different system altogether.
Yup both my 1050 & now 800 both make the fax noise
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 AM   #1704
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
I had the idle problem with mine a while ago so I took it to the dealer. I wanted to the dealer to see it so it was an "official" problem. First of all they said they'd never heard of the problem but in the end just sprayed it with WD40 and said it was fixed. I haven't put a lot of km on it since (maybe 200km) but there haven't been any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
The stepper motor isn't "seizing". It's length of travel is being limited by gunge buildup. Squirt of WD40 & turning ignition on/off a couple of times generally does the trick in removing gunge buildup - for a while anyway. Best solution - clean and lubricate with a dry ptfe type lub.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #1705
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
The throttle roller & stepper motor arm need some lube. WD40 is ok in a pinch, but cable lube or something that doesn't dry up is better.
I never removed that nut at the top of the stepper motor.

Yes. The Daytona guys have figured out a Manuel Screw idle adjustment to replace the stepper motor. I don't have time to search right now. It's on a different forum
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #1706
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
Suspension Mods and Sources

After looking though the existing XC threads on ADV, and searching the Beasts and other Tiger800 forums for information, I've started a thread to reference 800XC suspension mods, reviews, sources, etc. in the hopes of pooling resources for the available options.

Having read AV-Mech's "Hobbes" thread and his praise of the improvements gained from valving and spring upgrades tuned to his weight and riding style, this would be how I would like my forks (and shock) to behave. The business that did his mods no longer exists.

If anyone else has made improvements to their suspension please consider posting up the details of who, what, where, and how you like it in the linked thread above.

Thanks!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #1707
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
After looking though the existing XC threads on ADV, and searching the Beasts and other Tiger800 forums for information, I've started a thread to reference 800XC suspension mods, reviews, sources, etc. in the hopes of pooling resources for the available options.

Having read AV-Mech's "Hobbes" thread and his praise of the improvements gained from valving and spring upgrades tuned to his weight and riding style, this would be how I would like my forks (and shock) to behave. The business that did his mods no longer exists.

If anyone else has made improvements to their suspension please consider posting up the details of who, what, where, and how you like it in the linked thread above.

Thanks!
There was one at some point. I made this sticky thread a while back that had a link to one but then the mods started mushing things together and lots of information was buried. So, the sticky is now basically a waste.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841372

I am running stock forks and Ohlins rear. I don't have much time of it yet but I can only imagine how sweet ass it will be!
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #1708
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Stepper Motor Cure?

I know this has been discussed at length with cleaning and greasing being the most common cure for stepper motor issues. 5000 miles on my 2012 and it's time for my second motor! My dealer tech is pissed at Triumph telling him they don't have a fix and really don't care! When I get my bike to him he wants to see if there is any way to cut up an old oiled foam air filter to wrap the motor to keep the dirt out. Might work. Anybody tried this?
Also, I wanted to set the idle speed up just a little but he tells me there is no way to adjust that. Is that true?
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #1709
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5INC View Post
Also, I wanted to set the idle speed up just a little but he tells me there is no way to adjust that. Is that true?
I think you can do that using TuneECU.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #1710
C5INC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I think you can do that using TuneECU.
You would think the Dealer software would do it too. Frickin electro-gizmo bikes!
C5INC is offline   Reply With Quote