User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
riderddonald OP
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Barkbuster mod

Wanted to show a recent modification to my new Barkbusters. I had finally installed heated grips to my V Strom and taken a test ride a few months ago on a mid 30 degree day. Took all my gloves and tried each and even some combinations to find what worked best. Insulated didn't keep the back of my hands warm enough and didn't let heat from grips through. Leather let heat through but back of hands got too cold. Time for new gloves. Found the Alpinstar C2 Windstopper Goretex gloves . Light weight with leather palms. Lets the heat through nicely. At the same time I replaced the oem handquards with a set of Barkbusters. Installed I took a short test ride with new gloves to see how it worked. It worked great with one.....er I mean two exceptions, thumbs. The natural way you grip the bars your thumb hangs down and doesn't benifit fron the heated grips.

Time for a modification. I knew what I needed but couldn't find plastic stiff enough to hold it's form but still bend how I needed it to. Then it hit me, a doner $5.00 trash can from Lowes.

A little surgery, plastic graphing?

A little testing and shaping.

Finally have shape but won't quite bend right so it's off to work and a 4 foot break. A series of about 6 bends and I think I have it. Back to the garage for final fitting. Then a test ride a few days later. Works great.

Now you might say I should have spent a few bucks and got the Storm covers and safed me the trouble. And I admit that would have been easier but I put it down to the fact I found a KLR650 last year that was too good of a deal to pass up. Must be rubbing off on me. God help my V Strom.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Actually Don,,having Storms would not have made that much difference,,I run Storms and still get cold spots,,I now have heated grips ,,storms (can,nt stand Muffs) and Apinestars heated gloves....But I like your design,,Barkbusters should take a look...I can see no reason not to protect the underside of the grips....
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 123
There was a mod similar to this on the Stromtrooper site from a couple of years ago that you might find with a little searching. A Wee owner in Fort Worth made some really slick additions to his Barkbusters from a plastic material that was heat-formable- Kydex maybe? Might be worth checking out.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
There was a mod similar to this on the Stromtrooper site from a couple of years ago that you might find with a little searching. A Wee owner in Fort Worth made some really slick additions to his Barkbusters from a plastic material that was heat-formable- Kydex maybe? Might be worth checking out.
I believe that was "War Hammer" or something like that........he no longer visits. There may be a guy in England making them now???? Look on V-Strom International Forum.......
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote