Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #31
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
These 'tendencies' are nothing more than fallacy. A dirt bike can ruin a trail equally as well as a quad.

It all depends on how much you spin your tires.
unless a quad has a differential it will always be more harmful, as when turning a corner one wheel is always draging.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
When 4 wheelers started to get popular it was the beginning of the end for trail riding in Kentucky.
I'm glad I got to experience the good times before the quads came and tore things up to the point where the tree-huggers got together with the Forestry guys and threw everyone except hikers and horse riders out of 90% of the places and trails we rode before.
We used to ride some beautiful single track . I remember riding with 8-9 others and after we passed it was hard to tell we'd been some places. In the fall you would just see some leaves flipped over. Of course climbing hills left tracks but, what the bikes did was minor compared to the quad invasion.
In a few years ,after public meetings where riders were far the minority next to Heartwood and other groups , most of the trails were closed to motor powered anything. What was left to legally ride was widened to 4 feet and graveled. Not much like it was before.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
unless a quad has a differential it will always be more harmful, as when turning a corner one wheel is always draging.
We're talking minor differences. With the way dirt bikers ride nowadays, ruts are a common thing to find in trails, and not from water runoff.

But saying a trail was closed because a 3 or 4 wheeler invasion occurred is just plain arrogance at its finest. It's always something someone was doing, regardless of what they ride. Someone always has to ruin it, be it drinking and trashing the place, riding without safety gear, basically just irresponsibility is the main reason.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 AM   #34
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
No

You should be banned for asking that on a motorcylco forum..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #35
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Food for thought:

One is street legal. The other is not. Can you see why?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #36
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Like someone else said, it's legal here in AZ. Hell, I see people riding them just about every day around here. They get plated as a motorcycle. That said, I'd still take a motorcycle over a quad. Can't wait to get back on 2 wheels (hopefully by this Spring!).

The side-by-side quads can be made street legal here, too, but they're not as common on the roads as the quads (I've seen maybe 2 or 3). All they have to have are headlights, brake lights and indicators to get plates.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #37
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
When 4 wheelers started to get popular it was the beginning of the end for trail riding in Kentucky.
I'm glad I got to experience the good times before the quads came and tore things up to the point where the tree-huggers got together with the Forestry guys and threw everyone except hikers and horse riders out of 90% of the places and trails we rode before.
We used to ride some beautiful single track . I remember riding with 8-9 others and after we passed it was hard to tell we'd been some places. In the fall you would just see some leaves flipped over. Of course climbing hills left tracks but, what the bikes did was minor compared to the quad invasion.
In a few years ,after public meetings where riders were far the minority next to Heartwood and other groups , most of the trails were closed to motor powered anything. What was left to legally ride was widened to 4 feet and graveled. Not much like it was before.
talk about destroying a trail; horses are about the worst thing that can happen. Well maybe a full cattle drive would be worse.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #38
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

And they shit everywhere too!!

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Aside from leaning in turns what it's so different about riding a bike on a trail?
I haven't given it much thought. A quad is a tool, a bike is a toy [for me] I guess. I find 4x4s equally dull.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #40
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
[QUOTE=XpressCS;20885586]

But saying a trail was closed because a 3 or 4 wheeler invasion occurred is just plain arrogance at its finest.

What a fucking load.

Have you ever been to Ky. I saw what was great riding turned to shit by 4 wheelers and their pilots.
I remember talking to people about trail riding and having them ask if I rode a 4-wheeler. I'd say "No, 4 wheelers are for people that can't ride motorcycles. "
And that statement is still true. If you can't ride pretty well on a bike , you're soon going to get banged up and leave. Almost anyone can go from here to there on a 4-wheeler. So they became overwhelmingly popular. Instead of 8-10 guys out on bikes there'd be 50-100 4 wheelers.
Over-use killed the trails.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #41
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
And they shit everywhere too!!
ATV riders? :p

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th-Elefant View Post
I haven't given it much thought. A quad is a tool, a bike is a toy [for me] I guess. I find 4x4s equally dull.
many places the bike is the farm work horse.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #43
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post

them too! and bike riders piss everywhere, as can be seen if you go to ride reports.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #44
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post

No. Horses.

I don't see what the deal is. If it has a throttle, footpegs, and an engine, it should be ridden, ridden hard, and put away wet.

XpressCS screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 03:47 PM
Old 03-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #45
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 1,985
Some where there's a mt. biker bitching about how dirt bikes ruin THEIR single track...
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: