Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #46
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I'm not yet a rider, I'm still restoring my first bike, but I'm not necessarily a first gen rider either. My Dad used to ride as well. From the stories he told he rode all over. He had a 75 Goldwing, a Norton that he rode back and forth between Cincinnati and Nevada on and an old Kwak something another. He never let me have a bike growing up though. I will say though that he is supportive of my restoration and planned trips. Surprisingly, although apprehensively, my wife is as well!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #47
bridwell52
Banned

Oddometer: 143
I was raised on a farm and had to work before and after school. (middle school) After proving myself as a farm hand I was awarded my own calf.
After raising him I sold his ass at the auction. Dad asked what I was going to do with the money. I want a motor cycle. One week later he comes home with a Honda 90 dream and gave me the bill. Mom was pissed but Pop said he earned it. All this before I could get a drivers license. The town I lived in in AR was so small , that I could ride my cycle to school and the sheriff would tell us when the state trooper was in town and to get home.
Been riding ever since and no one in my family rides to this day. I'm 60 now.
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #48
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,460
It's funny. In my family, every single one of "my generation" (me, my brother, both cousins on my father's side and three cousins on my mother's side) has ridden bikes and most of us still do regularly. Not a single one of our parent's generation within the family has ever ridden a bike, or even been a regular pillion on one. What makes this even strangers is that we live in 4 different countries and hardly ever saw each other much as we were growing up, so it's not like any of the older ones influenced the rest of us to get bikes.

My "coming out" resulted in my parents (at my mother's instruction) cancelling their first visit to my new place and not speaking to me for two weeks. They're pretty okay with it now, or at least have accepted it. Despite once having to fly overseas at short notice to visit me in intensive care, as a direct result of "that damned motorbike".
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #49
Tinker1980
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Dad had dirt bikes before I was born, but only for a short while. Not really a "rider", and he didn't want either of us boys to get motorcycles. Problem is, I wanted one. Badly. Not just when I was a teenager, but always. I bought a Honda 250 dirt bike when I was 19 and got a lot of grief about it, but it wasn't a road legal vehicle and they just kind of assumed it was a phase.

I will not forget the day I came home with my first street-legal bike: a 1992 Vulcan 750. Beautiful bike. Depending on how the light hit it, it was either green or blue. I rode it home from Tulsa on one chilly February morning in 2002, and after that 50 mile ride I went up our long driveway and mom came out, thinking it was one of the neighbor's friends who went up the wrong driveway. Turned out it was her own firstborn son, on a MOTORCYCLE of all things. She was nearly in tears. She said she didn't expect me to ever have a motorcycle. I said she should have... as soon as the doctor said "it's a boy".

Both parents had gotten over it after a while, and the Vulcan, which they liked, soon was sold and I purchased an EX500, which they didn't like. Soon it gave way to a 2008 KLR650 that I ride to this day. I even corrupted my brother, who bought the Honda CR125, then the Ex500, then the Vulcan 800, then the DR650, and just last week, traded the DR for a Husqvarna TR650. I think dad secretly likes the idea of a motorcycle, would like to ride one, but his common sense/worry about wiping out keeps him from doing so.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Nice Thread

its nice to read everyones stories, in my case I'm first gen too, and to open my post just let me say that both my parents are DOCTORS , so you can imagine AAALLLLL the stories that they brought Home from the ER every time I just barely mention the word MOTORCYCLE ... when I was like 10 I wanted an MX bike cuz there was a track like 3 blocks from my house but my parents had fresh stories of broken bones and stuff like that every time I said THAT word, so the idea of a bike started to fade away a little in high school and college, but then on day watching TV I caught ewan and charley's LWD series and the spark came back, and the rest is history, of course some interesting arguments were brought by my parents but here I am,, a part of this 2 wheeled world,
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #51
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
My father had a motorcycle for a brief time in the 70's, during the gas crisis, but was never really a rider. He worries a little about my riding but understands how much I love it.

My mother never even learned how to drive a car, but she was all for me having a bike. She thought it was exciting.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #52
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I am the only rider in my family, unless you count the run my uncle on my mom's side had in the '70s, and apparently one of my aunts rode as well. I'm off at school, and an adult, however my parents are assisting me pay for school, so I wasn't about to run off and buy something that would get me tossed out of the house so to speak. My proposition included the fact that I would take the MSF course, paid for by myself, and cover any and all costs pertaining to the bike and gear. I really was shocked when they allowed it, and I'm not sure either fully approve, however they do realize that it was an inevitability, whether it is now, or in 2 years when I'm hopefully completely moved out and on my own. I actually purchased the bike off one of my dad's coworkers (both professors, different fields though), and he cut us a pretty decent deal. Yay connections!

That being said, my dad approached me a couple months ago saying that he'd considered buying a scoot for his commute to work, but that it hadn't really gone anywhere. Maybe I can work that angle...

The one person who's given me more grief than anyone is a friend's mother, who rattles off all of the horrible things that may happen to me...is it bad that I've gotten to the point where I can tune those out?...

Anyways, all that to say that for the most part, my family's been much more supportive than I had anticipated!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #53
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Keep 'em coming

Great hearing your guys stories. I've gotta say, some you guys had it pretty good back in the day. I'm really glad to hear how so many of you guys have passed the joy of riding down to your kids. Being a first-gen rider myself, I plan on passing it down to my kids and hopefully have a family full riders. I might need a large family though, just in case

Now here is a good one:

What was your first reaction when your family realized you started carrying passengers on your bike? I know a lot of you guys are 'lone riders' and all that jazz, but I still remember when I had my gf ride on the back of my bike for the first time. My mom basically accused me of attempted murder and literally said that by putting her on the back of my bike, I was gonna kill her . Strangely enough, her parents were okay with it, maybe because I got her into riding and taught her how to ride.
Any of you guys ever get that?

Or what about the first time they found out that you ride with other people? Did your family think you had joined Sons of Anarchy or something?

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #54
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Great hearing your guys stories. I've gotta say, some you guys had it pretty good back in the day. I'm really glad to hear how so many of you guys have passed the joy of riding down to your kids. Being a first-gen rider myself, I plan on passing it down to my kids and hopefully have a family full riders. I might need a large family though, just in case

Now here is a good one:

What was your first reaction when your family realized you started carrying passengers on your bike? I know a lot of you guys are 'lone riders' and all that jazz, but I still remember when I had my gf ride on the back of my bike for the first time. My mom basically accused me of attempted murder and literally said that by putting her on the back of my bike, I was gonna kill her . Strangely enough, her parents were okay with it, maybe because I got her into riding and taught her how to ride.

Or what about the first time they found out that you ride with other people? Did your family think you had joined Sons of Anarchy or something?
My mom encouraged me to ride in groups as much as possible, but that detracted from it for me, partly because they were all on bikes with poor handling ability and so I would have to slow down for them, and partly because it took some of the connection away. When I couldn't channel all of myself into my own ride, and take in the stops on my own, that took away from it.

For passengers, I didn't hear anything adverse, really. It was always the passenger's people that worried. I found I didn't like passengers when I leaned in one day for a pretty tight corner, and the girl I had on leaned out in panic. The bike didn't like that, neither did I.

I did get my mom to hop on the other day though for a trip up the road. She started yelling at me around 20mph, but she's still alive, despite my obvious efforts.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #55
Flyinace1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Now here is a good one:

I don't ride in any groups, mostly cause I don't know anyone in my personal life who rides. As for having a passenger my family was perfectly fine with it, and I even took my sis on a ride for her bday (1st and last time...she was terrible ) My girlfriends family tho is still giving veiled threats now and then and I'll be surprised if it ever stops. My gf on the other hand loves riding and is really good when riding pillion, a real natural, it took almost no time to get used to riding together. She was so excited about riding that she asked on our first date if we were gonna take the bike and she's always been very much into it. She's gonna be getting her own bike sooner or later.
I do have a friend who had been telling me since I first mentioned even thinking about having my girl on the back that I was gonna kill her (Im pretty sure he was at least half joking). He's planning on getting his own bike now.

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #56
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

unrelated rant about riding with a group for the first time

What's funny was that my mom started riding with the local Harley crowd and invited me to go on rides with them. I try not to judge other riders, but they were the stupidest people I've ever had the displeasure of being on the same road with. the leader would ride the yellow line on blind corners through Topange Canyon (any L.A locals will know that that is a definite deathwish), they would rev their engines loudly at every stopsign, and then at the end of having to constantly slow down for mr. my-bike-has-such-and-such-many-cc's, the leader of the ride asked my gf if she wanted to ride on the back of his bike, since she's never ridden on a harley before. If he wasn't twice my size and four times my weight I would have knocked his hog over, and his bike (his wife came too). After filling up on onion rings and two beers each (I don't drink, it's not that I don't wanna, but I'm on a bike, and being under 21 doesn't help either ) one of them flooded their bike. Then I tried to help by saying just hold the throttle to drain the carbs out, and try again. the fat-shit then just told me with a rude grin, "Is that what you gotta do for those Jap bikes (i was on a shadow vlx600). Long story short, they then all rode to the harley store, leaving my mom's bike behind and her riding pillion for the fat plumber man, spent an arm and a leg to get a battery, drove back, and I was the one who installed it. I got the leftover battery though, and currently running it on my gs500

Two first-gen riders who went in completely different paths, but still a great mom.

The funny thing is that I don't really ride with many groups, but I have some three close friends from high school that I ride with when we get weekends off from school. We all took the MSF class and ride safely, but because we all have "sportbikes" (fz6, ninja 650, early 70's cb 750, and a cafe'd out virago). My mom always mentions that I should just get a harley and ride with ther friends because they've been riding for 30 years and it would be safer for me

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #57
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 546
Im a the first gen to own a bike and ride on the road . I had a cousin that had a 125 as a kid , my grandpa got on his friends Indian when they got back from fighting in Korea . He rode the bike a mile down the road to the local dairy bar were all the girls hung out and worked , he circled the dairy bar reving the engine getting all the girls to look then goes to take off and promptly drops it in the gravel parking lot ,last time on bike for him I think one of my uncles had a bike for about a week when he head on ed a car coming from a bar so I wouldnt really count that I guess . My dads side of the family have 3 generations of racing cars on circle tracks , so everyone thought I was going to race . I helped build cars and drove for part of one season in a late model class but it wasnt for me . I ended up getting in jeeps and rock crawling but had started looking at KLR650s in 03 to commute on but have witnessed quite a few motorcycle wrecks including one were the bike flipping by me and almost running over the rider so I kept talking my self out of it .

Then in 06 I saw my first VStrom .... boy I loved that bike but talked myself out of it . During this time my mom and dad had divorced and mom had started dating a guy that was in harleys and she rode pillion with him and my dad had rode a few of his friends bikes around on country roads . Well I got married and never got a bike but still found myself looking at them all the time . Well the bug bit my dad and he wanted a harley so me and him rode around looking at them and he had finally settled on one then my sister needed help financially so he took the money he had sit aside for the bike and paid off her tax debts so no bike for him . Early 12 I had sit on a11 vstrom and agreed on a price started on the paper work and the sellsman said something that ticked me offf so I walked out. Then last July I was working and had to run to a town in NC to get something for the job I was on and of course had to run into the bike shop while I was there . They had a 12 Vstrom on the floor that was sold and a KLR 650 in that black denim that looked great and the sales guy walked over and made his pitch then gave a pretty good price on it , I was very very very tempted but didnt want to seem that tempted so I noticed a dusty odd looking new bike with tires almost flat in the corner behind the helmet rack so I asked about it , he said it was an 09 model 250 so I asked how much , he said 3800 . I gave him my number and told him to give it his boss if they were willing to do better on it . The owner called me back the next day which gave me time to do my homework on the bike which turned out to be a super sherpa . Me and him talked and I got it for 3K , I picked it up that weekend and have been riding the hell out of my little 250 even though it looks odd to me I grown to like it .

My Wife hates it my mom doesnt mind and my dad worries since I have a young child . I would have a hard time selling it but would like to get another bike later to 2up my wife or kids so a V strom might still be in the cards down the road . Ive had one semi bad offroad off with it which really made the wife hate me riding it more but Im a grown man and I love my family but every one needs a out every now and then . Plus Im Going to get my 15 year old step son a four wheeler when he turns 16 so I can ride off road with him on my sherpa . Im really hoping the wife comes around on the riding thing but if not no biggy Ill just keep on riding .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #58
WAknobbyknuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I recently was tired of trailering my quad to and from every spot since I started riding. One day I was in the cycle shop to pick up the quad and was given some bad news about my quad. Long story short I walked out with a DR 650 and rode it home (already had my endorsement). When I pulled up my girlfriend had a "What the F!$@" look on her face. When I pulled the motorcycle helmet off she smiled and said "Should I even be suprised anymore?" ,one down. Rode to my parents house the next morning and my mom tries to pull the " Do you know how many people die on those things?". I replied as quick as possible "Yes and by you not supporting me makes the odds higher, so just keep that in mind!"
Right then dad came out and yelled "I think that has a bigger engine than the Suzuki Samari we had" laughing he said to me "Mine was a 550"......"What you owned a bike? You have never told me that in the 18 years I lived in the house" Simply replied "You never asked". Ha Ha, well to sum it up everyone thinks I'm crazy and gonna get hurt on the roads. I'm now 30 years of age and I have decided that I don't care what people think, I'm gonna live life and ride, have fun and let life bring whatever it may have.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #59
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There you go , enjoy the ride.

did you know that 100% of all motorcyclists die? I know, interesting.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #60
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
There you go , enjoy the ride.

did you know that 100% of all motorcyclists die? I know, interesting.
I heard a statistic that 100% of non motorcyclists die too!