User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
deucestaley11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
The items you shouldn't have left home without

Ive been planning a trip across the US for some time now. For those of you with long adventuring experience (weeks at a time), what are some of the items you kicked yourself for leaving behind? Could be clothing, camping gear, survival tools, spare parts, manuals, etc.
deucestaley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
May sound silly, but the things I had to stop and buy during the ride was a set of fingernail clippers and some lip balm!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,363
My first really big trip, I stopped and bought one of those skinny vinyl covered cables with the loops on each end, and a small padlock, so I could thread some stuff onto it, run it through the sleeves of my riding jacket, etc., for a bit of deterrence when stopping at nature attractions and such where a guy finds himself walking out of sight of the bike. I also purchased a Masterlock big ass cable lock to chain the bike up at a couple questionable motels..

Oh, and because I ride a KLR, I bought some oil. Walgreens Drug has the cutest little aluminum MSR type bottle for 2.99 that is sort of a stumpy version of the taller cousin, works great to carry a bit of extra oil. Or an aluminum flask from the licker store.....

But that's pretty much a given. Couple tablespoons of oil a day when pushing the 70 MPH stuff here/there.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
If you are traveling in the US, the only thing you need to make sure you have is a credit card. Pack light, plan light, and enjoy. What route are considering?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The biggest thing to forget to do is reventative maintenance! Do everything possible to not ask for that breakdown deep in the unknown. Spend a day or two getting to know your steed better than you already do. Carry tools to do all regular maintenance......you'll be surprised when something stupid raises it's ugly head! Credit cars, and duplicate paperwork. But also most important a spare set of keys! No I haven't had the htrill of using them yet....but seeing as they are hidden well on my bike at all time.....murphy stays away for that possibility..

I agree with do not over plan your ride....simple day to day plans that can change with the wind are best....and take enough fundage capabilities to get home. Health ins. if that is a concern for below the border, I'm above so we don't have that issue as much from what I hear, but I also have extra just to be sure.

OH....the biggest problem is who you choose to ride with.....it could mean the end of friendships or even a ruined vacation. I have suffered both.......it's very surprising what will get under your skin after a while on the road.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,813
I left my sleeping bag. I was just camping near the coast at Laguna Seca in Monterey. How cold could it get right?

I brought one of those fleece sleeping bag liners, because that is all I could fit in my backpack. I figured it would be enough. It wasn't. I ended up sleeping in someone's truck, and it was still cold. After the third night, while packing up to go home, one of my friends hears me talking about how cold it was without a bag. He pulls out a big fluffy sleeping bag from his car, and says "you should have said something, I brought an extra."
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,314
A second credit card on a different account, hidden on the bike, separate from my wallet.

When the bank thinks your card has been stolen.
When your wallet gets lost and you have to cancel the first one.
Even if you find your wallet.

Priceless!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I agree with above!....I have had my credit card malested to the tune of $40,000 I freaked and shut it down not thinking it was the only card I had to easily buy fuel with! I was excused for the sum but the inconvienience of not having an easy to use card was extremely inconvient! Always carry two cards as stated above, and make sure they both are easily taken all over North America. American Express isn't one of them!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Call your credit card company in advance and let them know you will be traveling, keeps them from locking the card down and since the call is free it's certainly cost effective insurance. Charges in multiple states in one day can look funny to a computer.

4PawsHacienda screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:01 AM
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
deucestaley11 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
If you are traveling in the US, the only thing you need to make sure you have is a credit card. Pack light, plan light, and enjoy. What route are considering?
Thanks for the advice everyone! The route is yet to be determined. Judging from what I've read on this site, and based on my own desires I plan on doing exactly that. Plan light, pack light. I've got friends in California, Montana, North Dakota, Boston, NY, plus about an unlimited supply of national parks everywhere in between . I'll definitely take all advice into consideration.
deucestaley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Earplugs

sunscreen

ibuprofen

lip balm with sunscreen

tire pump (had plugs though!)
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
My music earbuds that don't fall out when wearing my helmet.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PawsHacienda View Post
Call your credit card company in advance and let them know you will be traveling, keeps them from locking the card down.
?
I've traveled all over the US and never had a single problem with the card not working. Yes that's needed outside of the US but not within.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucestaley11 View Post
Ive been planning a trip across the US for some time now. For those of you with long adventuring experience (weeks at a time), what are some of the items you kicked yourself for leaving behind? Could be clothing, camping gear, survival tools, spare parts, manuals, etc.
You'll drive yourself nuts trying to think of anything you could possibly need and will end up bringing too much crap. Bring the basics such as gear, few change of clothes for different weather, tools, $ & CC, toothbrush/paste/sunscreen, special meds. and go for it.

The US has so many friggin' stores everywhere (compared to the rest of the world) that you'll be able to buy any do dad you forget within a 1/2 hr.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
?
I've traveled all over the US and never had a single problem with the card not working. Yes that's needed outside of the US but not within.
Err your a US citizen, close to 'home', if your not a US citizen then a separate card from a separate bank in a separate place is a good idea.
=============
What ever you forgot to take can be bought along the way ... if you have ENOUGH MONEY. Take plenty of that money stuff and you can forget to take the bike and still have a good trip.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote