ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #7156
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The customizing is totally optional. Start with the "Getting started" section of the manual. It'll get you up and running without a lot of hopping around.
Thank you Emoto!.

I did play with it a bit. It reminded me of my old 90s Garmin GPS12xl in that it doesn't have any background features.

I'm sure I'll figure it out. At least I know where to come for some help and a good laugh.
10 GSA 30th, 13 S1000RR,70 z50, 71 ct70, 79 CBX, 14 Grom,78 KZ1000 B2, 4 81 GPz550's, 02 ZRX1200R,12 690 Enduro R, 70 Rupp Enduro, 86 RG500 Gamma, 03 SV630N, 75 gt80 Mini Enduro, 2 81 Seca 550's, 2 84 RZ350's, 84 RZV500R,
Canyon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #7157
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Decisions, Decisions....

Which GPSr would you choose?

I sure hope Garmin ports much of the new features from the Oregon 6x0 to the Montana. I may have trouble putting this thing down. MANY of the issues and feature requests with the Montana have been resolved on the Oregon 650. This thing is FAST!

atlas cached screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 09:14 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #7158
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rider View Post
Thank you Emoto!.

I did play with it a bit. It reminded me of my old 90s Garmin GPS12xl in that it doesn't have any background features.

I'm sure I'll figure it out. At least I know where to come for some help and a good laugh.
Ya just gotta start using it some for trivial things. Then you'll see how it works.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #7159
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
you can't insert via points in uploaded routes. If you do, it wipes out all the other via points except the destination. Also, one can't edit an uploaded route.

Just this past 4 days i got lots of practice with this while riding in a rally.

Tim in burien, wa
are you serious? I'm a "route" person and this was a common use case for me using my 276c.
I'm new to routes but have been playing with them in my cage and if I understand you correctly I do think there is at least one way to do what you describe. Of course there may be others but this works for me:

There are 2 keys:
You have to use the Route Planner app itself to edit the route. (Whether you are actively navigating the route or not).
AND
You have to set the Activity Profile of the route to DIRECT in BaseCamp when you transfer it to the Montana.

At least that worked for me. Transfer a Direct route to the Montana then navigate it in an autorouting profile (like Automobile). Then you MUST go into Route Planner then select the route by name. This will bring up the options page (note for a Direct Route you can also select "Reverse Route", kindof handy).
When you select Edit Route then you see the Via Points and Waypoints currently in the route to choose from. Pick one then on the next page you can pick Insert to insert an item before it, for example.

In my experience this simply inserts the new item and does not affect any of the already existing items.

Here is a set of examples from the Montana Wiki that has a series of waypoints for a route:

Route Planner

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #7160
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:
Ya just gotta start using it some for trivial things. Then you'll see how it works.
My advice is if you are transferring from BaseCamp to the Montana then ignore routes for starters and only try tracks. So ignore any threads here that say evil words like "via points" or "shaping points"

On the other hand if you are just playing with the unit itself and want to go somewhere then start with "Where To?" and pick an address of point of interest and then watch it autoroute.

That takes care of routing and tracking which actually comes Second!

First just figure out the initial starting points in the Wiki and other places, then focus on profiles (select Profile Change) and many of the items under Setup.

It's a "process" but it comes. Also the help videos under the Montana page at GPSCity.com helped me.

Don't give up yet!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #7161
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I'm new to routes but have been playing with them in my cage and if I understand you correctly I do think there is at least one way to do what you describe. Of course there may be others but this works for me:

There are 2 keys:
You have to use the Route Planner app itself to edit the route. (Whether you are actively navigating the route or not).
AND
You have to set the Activity Profile of the route to DIRECT in BaseCamp when you transfer it to the Montana.

At least that worked for me. Transfer a Direct route to the Montana then navigate it in an autorouting profile (like Automobile). Then you MUST go into Route Planner then select the route by name. This will bring up the options page (note for a Direct Route you can also select "Reverse Route", kindof handy).
When you select Edit Route then you see the Via Points and Waypoints currently in the route to choose from. Pick one then on the next page you can pick Insert to insert an item before it, for example.

In my experience this simply inserts the new item and does not affect any of the already existing items.

Here is a set of examples from the Montana Wiki that has a series of waypoints for a route:

Route Planner
Snooker, I'll try what you suggest and report back. What you suggest is so counter-intuitive to the way the process has typically worked. I have literally created hundreds and hundreds of navigable routes over the years and all of my Garmins that supported routing allowed me to edit the route on the GPS. But it's not easily done on the Montana (and I'm a big fan of it) unless the route is created on the GPS.

Tim in Burien, WA
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #7162
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Which GPSr would you choose?

I sure hope Garmin ports much of the new features from the Oregon 6x0 to the Montana. I may have trouble putting this thing down. MANY of the issues and feature requests with the Montana have been resolved on the Oregon 650. This thing is FAST!

Can you see the screen in bright sunlight as well as the Montana?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #7163
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Can you see the screen in bright sunlight as well as the Montana?
It just landed on my doorstep last night... I will be field testing and evaluating beside my Montana this weekend.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #7164
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Audio output jack? (Garmin does not have a manual posted - I checked)
No. But it does have Bluetooth, although I do not see any headset pairing options, yet. The firmware is still very new, and surely will be evolved over the next year or two.

More details will be posted in the Oregon 6x0 thread.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #7165
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
It just landed on my doorstep last night... I will be field testing and evaluating beside my Montana this weekend.
Ahhh NM, I see it has the same screen as the Oregon 550. Had one of those, couldn't see it, took it back.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #7166
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Ahhh NM, I see it has the same screen as the Oregon 550.
You couldn't be more wrong. The Oregon 6x0 has a completely new screen with multi-touch, not resistive touch. The screen is very clear and bright, just like my iPhone.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #7167
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong. The Oregon 6x0 has a completely new screen with multi-touch, not resistive touch. The screen is very clear and bright, just like my iPhone.
Then Garmin might want to reflect that on their website doncha think? Can only go on what the MANUFACTURER actually states.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=26875

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #7168
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Stop cluttering an already bloated thread off-topic BS. Please?

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #7169
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Then Garmin might want to reflect that on their website doncha think? Can only go on what the MANUFACTURER actually states.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....eProduct=26875
From the product Page for Oregon 650:

Touch and Go

Oregon 650 has reflective display technology for the most brilliant, sunlight readable touchscreen we’ve ever made. It's as vivid in full bright sunlight as it is in shade. The screen has been strengthened for impact resistance but still accommodates gloved operation. And with dual-orientation, multi-touch screen, you won’t just look at maps, you’ll interact with them when you zoom in, pan out and rotate the display.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #7170
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Stop cluttering an already bloated thread off-topic BS. Please?
Since you missed it

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote