Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #136
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
Battery chargers, if not plugged in, Run Batteries DOWN !!!!

THe cheap diodes leak.

My friend in ALaska lost 4 batteries by doing that. Mine survived bu disconnecting it.

Don
By "battery chargers" do you mean the pig-tail, or the charger itself? It will be connected most of the time, but I might just bring a sealed battery down the next time so I don't have to deal with the maintenance.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #137
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
We do get course credits for following along don't we? Sorry to see you heading home. I really enjoy your reports and learning more about CR. Can't wait to get back down there again. It's an easy place to get hooked on.
Jajajajaaa.................................

I'll ask the admins....I know what they'll say.....pay the tuition, sure we'll give you credits

Thanks for following along.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #138
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Well, we leave shortly. About every other morning Olga leaves me a smiley faced breakfast. She made tortillas and this one needed a little work, but it was close.

Then this morning, my last with her for awhile, she left me this one...kind of sad to leave.

A few shots of the students in action at SEPA school.

If you want to do a language study on your own, I think they do a great job:

http://www.spanish-school-costarica.com/

Perlita, waiting for the next ride...

Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #139
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
[COLOR=Orange]
Will have to leave that ride for the next time.
Thanks for the RR, pdedse....especially your friends synopsis of the CR political condition.

Would your 125 have benefited from a little lower gear ratio?
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #140
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Thanks for the RR, pdedse....especially your friends synopsis of the CR political condition.

Would your 125 have benefited from a little lower gear ratio?
Mike's views were his, not sure what to make of them. My sis in law kind of blew it off when I told her, saying something to the effect that he's always talking crazy, but maybe that's what frustrates him, that the CR government has the same attitude.

The 125 pulled me up some rocky/dirty inclines that I wasn't sure about...it really surprised me, just kept climbing away in first, so I'd say it's gearing was good. Sometimes wanted a bit more power on the pavement, going up hill. Did lots of shifting, but it responded much as I was hoping. Top speed was around 80-85 kilometers ph, so it did all right. On a long flat, I'm sure it would hit 100kph, but it's CR, so what's the hurry?

Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #141
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
By "battery chargers" do you mean the pig-tail, or the charger itself? It will be connected most of the time, but I might just bring a sealed battery down the next time so I don't have to deal with the maintenance.
They all have diodes. They have to get from AC to DC. Some leak more than others.

Just disconnecting a charged battery should work for you. It did for me for 10 months in Alaska.

Don
Salsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #142
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
They all have diodes. They have to get from AC to DC. Some leak more than others.

Just disconnecting a charged battery should work for you. It did for me for 10 months in Alaska.

Don
Yeah, if no one ends up using the bike much, I might just have a friend do this. Thanks.

pdedse screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 07:52 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #143
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Made it back to Oregon. Always a bit strange to arrive home after some time away in another country. Small things that you completely forget about, things that you live without.

The students were very happy with their experience, practically every one of them talked about when they could go back to CR, asking how they could go about working in CR...even buying property!

Let's see among the 12 of them they collectively...saw a guy get shot from about 15 feet away, got sick and hospitalized...twice for one gal...saw some of the most amazing sunsets ever...took salsa / merengue dance lessons...got to play guitar and sing at bars, and get invited back...got their backpack / passport stolen with the ol-I'm-selling-lottery-tickets-and-won't-quit-bothering-you-while-my-partner-slips-your-backpack-off-the-chair-from-behind-you-while-you're-telling-me-no-gracias ruse...participated in bull-fights...bought paintings from an 80 year old Chilean who has "never worked a day in his life, only painted" (his words) and is more lucid than you can imagine...made friends for life and became adopted sons and daughters...saw toucans, iguanas, spiders bigger than they cared for, macaws, monkeys, pizotes, some type of wildcat, sea-horse, vultures and manta-ray,
to name a few...ate more gallo pinto than they thought possible...learned lots of Spanish, tons about themselves and what it means to live in another culture, albeit briefly...in short: they had a blast.

I started putting this program together about a year ago. Had no idea if it was going to generate enough interest and 12 students signed up, the minimum necessary to make it a go. It took me back to my own study abroad experiences in CR and it was cool to see them grow in lots of different ways.

Loved my Perlita...she's a champ. I felt like I blended in, got very few stares riding it around because there's lots of them. Even so, many people would compliment me on it, saying what a great bike it was, how much did it cost...how fast would it go......seriously.

House construction starts early next year. Hopefully, it will be a nice stop-over for long distance riders in the not-so-distant future. Keep it in mind.

Gracias por acompañarme

p
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #144
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,115
Great report amigo. Love those CGL 125's. Tore up the CR jungle a bit in one of those a couple years ago, albeit slowly. Best part is that when you bury it to the axles in mud, its a lot easier to pull out than the 990.

This looks a bit familiar...........

I love that area around Uvita, nice beaches, lots of hikes into refreshing waterfalls.

Looking forward to your next installment.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #145
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Great report amigo. Love those CGL 125's. Tore up the CR jungle a bit in one of those a couple years ago, albeit slowly. Best part is that when you bury it to the axles in mud, its a lot easier to pull out than the 990.
Glad you enjoyed it. I really enjoyed the lightness of this bike after owning an HD Sportster and my present KLR650.

I was thinking of "NO FUMAR ESPAñOL" when I took this foto of a fellow hiker:

Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #146
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,773
Quote:
Thanks Merlin III!...It's takes time to upload them, but it's also fun to put together.
Year old thread but well worth a comment & a bump as this is the best RR on CR I've found.
YES! Great pics! I'm headed there soon for MC rental and your info is very useful as I'm not looking for an enduro test but do want to get away from the crowds,etc..
r.e., "1st black Chuck Taylors up that mtn" comment--you might have felt your age going up that mtn but my generation lived in those shoes. They wore them in the NBA, I used them for hiking boots until I came into what I'll call the "vibram shoe sole era" & euro style hiking boots & now I'm into the "merrell era" I suppose.
FWIW, your new Honda has some parts that appear to be unchanged from my project bike-1971 Honda CL100! Bigger isn't always better in MC's. How used trumps size. These days too many big GS's is ill thought choice in my mind...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #147
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

She lives!

Well, it's been over a year and a half since I finished my six weeks as program leader of a study abroad broad in San Isidro del General, CR.

Lots of things have changed, but not my Costa Rican ride. I had the CG125 hybernated and an acquaintance had it all "de-winterized" by the time I got here (Platanillo) two weeks ago.

She fired right up and is the same ol' weak-kneed, underpowered litttle Pearl as before, but still seems to go where ever I point her.

I always wanted a chance to explore the road to San Juan de Dios. Today I had my chance...

I don't know why I like them but I do.

pdedse screwed with this post 07-31-2014 at 12:04 AM
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #148
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Got up bright and early at 4:45 to the tune of some ridiculous sounding birds, I'll see if I can't upload a recording of them shortly. By 6:30 nobody else was up so one might as well ride...

Bike seems to run just like it did when new, can't really notice any issues.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #149
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

It's winter in CR so today it's overcast but still the green is green...

Time to attend to the family and guests to see what they want to do today, more later....
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #150
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Fun Little river crossing...

I was looking for a route in and then back to the S. Isidro->Dominical hiway and I stopped to ask but was told just straight in and then same way out. Too bad. I thought Google maps showed a way, and maybe there is but they know my limits.

CR did awsome in the World Cup...humble beginnings...