Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #1231
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
Fair enough. I stand corrected: If ANYBODY were to cut you off, you wouldn't give a shit.
I always thought a deuce-and-a-half would make a fun commuter vehicle...
in a Mad Max kind of way.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #1232
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
I always thought a deuce-and-a-half would make a fun commuter vehicle...
in a Mad Max kind of way.
'round here the go-to commuter in my mind is a rusty old 3/4 ton pickup with an equally rusty snow-plow hanging from the front of it and a gun rack across the rear window. Nothing quite says "go ahead, make my day" like that.

But yeah.

And me in my fuel efficient little import. (Or worse, bike!)
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #1233
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
'round here the go-to commuter in my mind is a rusty old 3/4 ton pickup with an equally rusty snow-plow hanging from the front of it and a gun rack across the rear window. Nothing quite says "go ahead, make my day" like that.

But yeah.

And me in my fuel efficient little import. (Or worse, bike!)
I used to drive an F250. You'd be surprised how many people jump in front of you. I can't stop this thing on a dime, you just g'head there...

I can only figure that all the yahoos jumping in front of me figgered 'he's in a truck. He's going slowly...' Which wasn't the case lots of times.

...or maybe 'I can't see around that big truck, so I'm going to get in front of him!' on that one either

Regardless, LOTS of people jumped out in front of me. Aggravating.

M
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1234
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,947
Regarding the clutch-cable odyssey, the way we dual sport guys do it is to route another clutch cable for your specific model of bike next to the existing "in use" cable, and then zip-tie them together. In the case of one breaking, you simply pop out the old terminations, pop in the new ones, and you're done. An ounce of prevention and all that jazz...

Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1235
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I used to drive an F250. You'd be surprised how many people jump in front of you. I can't stop this thing on a dime, you just g'head there...

I can only figure that all the yahoos jumping in front of me figgered 'he's in a truck. He's going slowly...' Which wasn't the case lots of times.

...or maybe 'I can't see around that big truck, so I'm going to get in front of him!' on that one either

M
Things like this are why I fantasize about building a rotary paint ball cannon. You know, a motorized gatling paint ball gun? Mount it on your roof, then all you need is laser designation, and a program so it can spell out words and phrases on the target vehicle such as "asshole" or "blind-ass MF"

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1236
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 421
That reminds me of a idea I have had: Some sort of laser-tag like electronic system that would let you point a remote control like device at someone's car while commuting and thumb up/down them. Then there would be some sort of display that would show that persons karma scrore as a positive or negative number. Get three thumbs up and a thumbs down and you'd have a +2 net score. Someone lets you in in traffic and you blip'em a quick thumbs up. They cut you off or otherwise act like a dickwad, and thumbs down for you. Now I see you with a -xxxxx score and I know you are a top shelf jackass and give you leeway.

Basically this, but electronic, and cheap.

Right now I just use weather you are driving an accord or not as my indicator. Something about those full-size Hondas..
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #1237
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
I drive an F150 Extended-cab long-bed, but drove plenty of loaded F250/F350 trucks, many times with skid-steers on traliers, and i can attest that people are TRYING to kill themselves around trucks.

OK, so maybe they're not trying, but they very commonly do exactly what you're saying - they see a truck, and automatically determine its speed to be much slower that any driver paying attention could see the truck going. I've had some very, very close calls on major highways with people who jumped out in front of trucks.

I'll never forget one commuter who came over so soon that, had I not done some quick and careful counter-manuevers, he would have clipped the front passenger fender and wheel before causing a massive highway incident which would have involved the F350, the Skid-Steer and trailer, the 5 co-workers and I who were in the truck, and who knows how many other vehicles that would have got crunched in that wreck.

I had five severely pissed off co-workers for a while there.

But that's why they always had me drive - they trusted me to keep them out of those situations, and I've had to do it more than I'd like to remember. All due to drivers who perceive trucks to be much slower, even if a truck is holding speed.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #1238
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I used to drive a semi, and yes, people are idiots around trucks. I'm guessing its a gqme to them. Unfortunately I've hit people and not known it, had people pull a uturn right in front of me and I prayed thqt I wouldnt hit them, had people jump in front of me just to stop and I hit him. The cop told me I need to be in control of my truck, I told him I am in control but I cant control the people around me. Yes there is a big space in front of my truck, I need it incase I have to stop, and if you take it, guess who's getting run over?
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #1239
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I used to drive a semi, and yes, people are idiots around trucks. I'm guessing its a gqme to them. Unfortunately I've hit people and not known it, had people pull a uturn right in front of me and I prayed thqt I wouldnt hit them, had people jump in front of me just to stop and I hit him. The cop told me I need to be in control of my truck, I told him I am in control but I cant control the people around me. Yes there is a big space in front of my truck, I need it incase I have to stop, and if you take it, guess who's getting run over?
Semis aren't too bad because most of the drivers take their profession seriously. They're not landscapers, small-time scrap metal dealers or minimum-wage equipment-rental employees. The guys hauling excavators and the like behind pickup trucks are often the cause of the problem because their "rigs" are totally inadequate when it comes to ability to change speed or direction yet half the drivers still think it's ok to drive like they are in their family car. I've lost count of the number of times some douchbag in a beat-up F250/350/whatever has passed me doing 15-over, pulling an overloaded/badly secured utility trailer or fifth wheel. The f***ing manufacturers don't help when all of their advertisements for full sized trucks are filled with images of plaid-clad cowboys hauling impossibly large loads across terrain 99% of their customers will never see.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #1240
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 712
I know what you mean. Lots of pictures of that stuff here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...your-pics.html
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #1241
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
The Army taught me to drive their AWD semi-trucks that we used to haul D-7 dozers.

That big ole lump of metal on the trailer? Yeah, its not stopping... If something happens, its fixin to push me completely though you, and probably the car in front of you so you just go ahead and cut me off!

M
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #1242
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I know what you mean. Lots of pictures of that stuff here. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-r...your-pics.html
Very entertaining link. I only did about every 10 pages and it still took a bit of reading.

M
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #1243
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,828
Friday on the way home from work there was a complete stopage of traffic in a rural area where traffic never stops. After a few minutes the cars start to move forward, and I can see why traffic had stopped.

There was a house on its side in the middle of the road.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #1244
Kilted
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
It is very liberating once you decide to not make riding/driving a conflict, consider all other motorists as impediments to your desires, not compound others failures with your own, or force them to do as you want.

Being on the road can be very enjoyable and virtually stress free if you choose to make it so. Life's too short to ride angry, it's a "preventable incident".
Best. Post. Ever.

1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim
Kilted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #1245
mflora98ss
Dual Sportin'

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted View Post
best. Post. Ever.
+1
mflora98ss is offline   Reply With Quote