Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #211
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
If someone chimes in on their costs,can you also comment on actual prices paid for camping. Here in New England it's usually around $21 per night at a tent site that has bathrooms,water,and usually NO showers.
I'm figuring: $25 gas,$22 sleeping (that's 4 nights pay camping @ $20,2 nights free camping, one night motel @ $80)Hopefully lot's of free camping west of OK to balance things out. Planning on $35 for food & water per day. So I'm figuring $80 per day X 32 days= about $2500
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #212
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Op:
When are you oing to ride the TAT?
Are you riding or trailering to TN?
Which bike?
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #213
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 849
This is a great thread. I'm graduating in June and plan to work until early August and head out to Shawnee, OK where my gramps is and start there. Is there anywhere besides here I can hook up with people to do the entire trip with? I enjoy riding with slow old dudes, I'll be on my XR400.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #214
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
This is a great thread. I'm graduating in June and plan to work until early August and head out to Shawnee, OK where my gramps is and start there. Is there anywhere besides here I can hook up with people to do the entire trip with? I enjoy riding with slow old dudes, I'll be on my XR400.
Ahem...
That's gradual geriatric gents
Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #215
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Ahem...
That's gradual geriatric gents
Yeah but I can't go too old, I don't want to be changing your bed pans while we're camping.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #216
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Op:
When are you oing to ride the TAT?
Are you riding or trailering to TN?
Which bike?
Not sure if that question was for me? If it was, I'm leaving this Aug from R.I. on my WR250R,then ship it back from OR.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #217
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, the q was for you. Your trip will likely be the best reference I will get before my trip in 2014. I look forward to your feedback on the WR and other preparations. I hope to ride with one or two other similar sized bikes. I'll be on a WR or my KLR250. My plan is to trailer to TN, ride the whole TAT west and either ship back or sell in OR. If I take the KLR250 I may be changing bikes mid trip. We'll see!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #218
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

I'm having a moral dilemma and I need some counseling here. I'll be doing a round the world trip in a bit less than 2 years, the TAT is a kind of test of my will for the trip. I plan on doing the big trip on a DR650, which I don't own yet. I do own an XR400. I'm tempted to buy a DR650 asap, and I'm wondering, do I do the TAT on the XR400 or the DR650.

It's basically an argument of light weight/kick start/reinforced subframe but still limited luggage capacity vs. heavier/electric start/better luggage capacity
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #219
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm having a moral dilemma and I need some counseling here. I'll be doing a round the world trip in a bit less than 2 years, the TAT is a kind of test of my will for the trip. I plan on doing the big trip on a DR650, which I don't own yet. I do own an XR400. I'm tempted to buy a DR650 asap, and I'm wondering, do I do the TAT on the XR400 or the DR650.

It's basically an argument of light weight/kick start/reinforced subframe but still limited luggage capacity vs. heavier/electric start/better luggage capacity
There's a nice DR650 for sale here on FM. If your test of will is the TAT, maybe a test of bike is in order. Perhaps it's better to discover that you like or dislike the DR before you embark on the RTW.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #220
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
There's a nice DR650 for sale here on FM. If your test of will is the TAT, maybe a test of bike is in order. Perhaps it's better to discover that you like or dislike the DR before you embark on the RTW.
There's one that is fully prepped for a RTW trip I found that the owner is holding on to for me when I visit socal in two weeks. The price is pretty good and when I told him what I was going to use it for he said he's holding it for me until I come check it out because he believes in the cause.

Where would I find this one you speak of?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #221
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
There's one that is fully prepped for a RTW trip I found that the owner is holding on to for me when I visit socal in two weeks. The price is pretty good and when I told him what I was going to use it for he said he's holding it for me until I come check it out because he believes in the cause.

Engine mileage?

Personally, I would say take the XR400. The DR650 is great and all that, but the XR400 is the bike you know. I say this as someone who has a DR650 and loves it.

I have spent the better part of 7 months getting this bike ready. Its amazing all the little shit you end up tweaking. I cant tell you the number of times Ive had the entire front wiring portion behind the headlight apart, the number of times Ive taken the carburetor apart tweaking jetting, the number of times etc etc. The XR400 is a reliable bike, its light, and its good for the job. Its prolly also better solo than a DR650.

I vote take the XR400, build even more dirt skills, THEN get you a DR and build it up. Use this TAT run to find out what works in the camping and traveling aspect- the bike is the easiest part once all the prep work has been down.

FWIW YMMV

**DISCLAIMER** I havent done the TAT. I see XR400 and the first thing I think is "Perfect TAT bike"
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #222
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
Engine mileage?

Personally, I would say take the XR400. The DR650 is great and all that, but the XR400 is the bike you know. I say this as someone who has a DR650 and loves it.

I have spent the better part of 7 months getting this bike ready. Its amazing all the little shit you end up tweaking. I cant tell you the number of times Ive had the entire front wiring portion behind the headlight apart, the number of times Ive taken the carburetor apart tweaking jetting, the number of times etc etc. The XR400 is a reliable bike, its light, and its good for the job. Its prolly also better solo than a DR650.

I vote take the XR400, build even more dirt skills, THEN get you a DR and build it up. Use this TAT run to find out what works in the camping and traveling aspect- the bike is the easiest part once all the prep work has been down.

FWIW YMMV

**DISCLAIMER** I havent done the TAT. I see XR400 and the first thing I think is "Perfect TAT bike"
I like this. All's left to prep the XR is figuring out saddlebags, bearings and subframe reinforcement. I did just get a taller seat just for the added butt padding, so I might throw a lowering link on there since I'm only 5'9 and the seat height is probably around 37, 38 inches now.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #223
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865675
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #224
LateNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
For your around the world trip, doesn't matter about the bike, just go. its not about the bike, kinda.

For the TAT, Im thinking food. How do people eat? I am a big healthy eater too and its hard enough eating right normally let alone being on a trail for 5 weeks.

How are you guys eating?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #225
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
You will have no trouble finding a place to eat mornings and evenings, usually lunch too. Lunch is problematic out West, so take snacks. Also, be sure to take some back packing meals and a way to heat water in case you are caught out, break down, etc. Sam has it planned so that you can have a roof and a meal every evening if you want it.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote