Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
scooterlawyer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Scooters are enough; but how small can you go?

I bought a scooter in october 2002. First motorized two wheeler for me. a 150 cc vespa et4 purchased kind of on a whim at a shop down the street from the courthouse where I toil in the vineyard of justice (or injustice, depending on your mood, point of view, etc.). I've always been into bicycles but the commute was just too long at this point in my life to do by bicycle (at 35 miles one way, my max is about 15) but 35 miles was just fine for a motorbike. I had no idea how to ride, though i had gotten a license the week before, was thinking about motorcycles, but then saw the scooter and thought, heck, this looks nice, feels light, I could ride this I bet. I just started riding. Scared myself pretty bad at just 35 mph. Figured it out, more or less, with no accidents, no close calls. Now it's been 3 years, moved to a closer job a long time ago where i can mainly bicycle, sometimes scooter, as i don't have to commute near as far, only 10,000 miles on it total Purchased all the safety gear I really should've been wearing from the get go. I love the scooter. occasionally I am drawn to thinking I would like a bigger faster bike. Not sure why though. I don't like freeways, 55 mph is fast enough for me, the bike goes 55. i did do a crazy freeway ride on this scooter out to Palm Springs on the freeway, about 100 miles one way, where there is so much wind they put up those windmills. It was so gusty I was leaning way over just to stay upright and blwoing all over the place. Totally stupid, totally scary. Pretty fun afterwards. I like this forum, it seems to have the right attitude. there was a different commute i did on it a few years back where I was going 20 miles one way over dirt roads, really barren, looks like I might imagine war torn italy (ok, I have no idea what war-torn italy might look like, but I was trying to have an adventure). It was always fun on a scooter, would've been dumb in a car, and would've been no more fun and not much faster on a big old motorcycle. They're doing a lot of construction in town here nowadays, there are major traffic jams which hold people up in standstill traffic for ridiculous amounts of time. but not me, I just go right through. I know the people who have been sitting in traffic on the same block for 20 minutes must be thinking, that rat, why aren't I on a scooter of comparable beauty and agility? A bigger motorcycle would certianly not help me in such tight and tangled situations, no the et4 is exactly what is called for, if indeed, perhaps, it is not even a bit too much. Due to the snarling traffic jam, sometimes I wonder if maybe I couldn't even scale down a bit, maybe a honda ruckus. I liek the look of that bike, am thinking it might be good to go even slower. There's no way I can restrain myself from maxing out my et4, I'm only either full throttle or coming to a stop. That ruckus would probably be just a tad too slow for one of the road I go on, but hell, I'd probably live, and it'd probably be safer in the long run to go a little slower. I haven't had the experience of people trying to "run me down" if I'm going a bit too slow. I've had people get irritated with me ona bicycle but not on a scooter. I think in general, the fear that SUVs are going to literally run over you are not founded, unless it's a question of the sun being in their eyes and really not seeing you. Less might truly be more. What i dont' like about my bike right now is that the dealer is so far, since I don't work around it anymore. the scooter works all the time, but still, that Honda dealers right here. Is it stupidity to go from a small bike to a teeny bike? I don't really have any full blooded adventures, i have too many kids and too much work, but to me, just getting to work, doing some errands, or going for a short ride feel adventurous on a scooter. my wife thought I had flipped out when I showed up that night on that dopey scooter, and she was pissed when she heard how much that dinky green bike cost. But it's definitiely been worth it. I'll always own a scooter as long as I can. Might get a bigger bike, but might not. A scooter to me is essential.
scooterlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
R1150GSA
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Linzi
Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer: 15,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1150GSA
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #4
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,019
Interesting post.... though in a momen'ts breath your thinking about going to the Ruckus and then towards the end of your post your thinking larger bike. BUt since your a legal eagle I can understand that too.

That said, I complely know where your coming from. The traffic is getting really bad where I live in Montreal. I am currently riding a 1200 GS with plans to buy a Vino 125. The bike saves me at least 1/2 the travelling time or more when I use my bike. I laugh inside my helmet when I pass these guys all tied up and going nowhere. I also don't stress out thinking about finding a parking place. I just park where I feel like it and walk away.

While I have your attention and I don't mean to hijack your thread , has your Vespa been reliable. Have you had any issues you would like to talk about ? My wife is still pushing hard for me to buy a Vespa but normally I don't touch anything Italian for fear of reliability issues. So much for my rambling on.. good luck with any choices you make .. and more importantly ride safe.

hp
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
If you want bigger I would try a Suzuki Burgman, not cheap but, would be quicker for freeway runs and more like a motorcycle.

If you want smaller 35-40 mph I would think any of the 50cc stuff would do.
Vento,Kymco, Honda Ruckus or Yamaha Zuma or Vino.
the Aprilia SR50R is really cool if you can find one.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,250
I started out with a 50cc scoot (well, actually, SWMBO started out with it--I adopted it). It surprised me at how competently it handled commuting and errand duties on <45mph roads with a cruise speed of 37-40mph.

I've got the Stella with a 177 kit on it, and it's quite a little hotrod. But I find that I can get by just fine at 45mph and that's mostly what I'm doing when I'm running errands or commuting to work. I don't do any freeway stretches--though the Stella will buzz along happily at 60+. It's stable--I just don't feel like revving it like that when I can cut through suburbs and side streets and use its agility as its primary advantage.

I'm even considering a Ruckus. At first, 37mph seemed too slow, but now that I've got my commute mapped out, there's no reason it wouldn't do just fine.

I think it's one of those things where you have to figure out your comfort zone. Personally, I'm absolutely fine with a 50cc bike for what I want to do. I know that some of the main roads here--especially the hilly ones--are a bit much for the Vento Zip R3I I had...yet at rush hour, when traffic on those roads was travelling at 25-30mph, it was right in its sweet spot. So I think it's a matter of evaluating your needs, and your approach to riding. If you like having a bit of extra speed available under your wrist, you may want to stick with a larger scoot. If you're into using momentum, late-braking, cornering skills, and wits to ride, the challenge of cutting through traffic might be the fun ride you want and a 50 would do the trick.

As for scoot vs. motorcycle--I prefer the scoot for the short commutes I do. It's just better suited as an urban bike than cranking up the GS and going to work and then shutting it down before the oil temp comes up.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
scooterlawyer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
reliability

my vespa has been stone cold reliable, pretty much. it's never left me stranded. the kickstart broke, but it never really worked anyway. The horn once got stuck, and just blared for about 5 minutes. just one time; weird. one flat. exhaust is all rusty but I haven't done anything about it and it seems all right. and sometimes int he cold it doesn't want to start right away. but it always does eventually. and it runs fine. i expected problems and bought the 3 year warranty, which ended up being useless. of course, if I hadn't bought it, it would've died immediately after month 12.
scooterlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #8
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
I'm even considering a Ruckus. At first, 37mph seemed too slow, but now that I've got my commute mapped out, there's no reason it wouldn't do just fine.
Do it!
I've logged 2,600 miles on mine with a total maintenance cost of $3.00 for oil.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes
Do it!
I've logged 2,600 miles on mine with a total maintenance cost of $3.00 for oil.
I could actually get by without tagging it here in NC. The Super9 is too fast to skirt the <30mph law, yet noone's gonna quibble about a <40mph Ruckus. No tags means free parking downtown in the garages and in the spaces adjacent to the parking meters.

When it's a downtown commuter, those things add up quick. $4 to run inside a gov't building for a meeting, another $1 here and there, and you may as well drive the car. But as a stealth bike, I'd be keeping bucks in my pocket bigtime.

The Ruckus would be perfect. No maintenance, and clean-burning.

And, since I did plenty of touring on the Zip, I wouldn't hesitate to take it out on long weekend rides.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #10
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
The Ruckus would be perfect. No maintenance, and clean-burning.
Oil changes are .6 qt every 2,500 miles. (no filter)
Air filter every 7,500.
Valve adjust every 15,000.
Oill screen check every 7,500.
93 mpg.
$30/year full coverage insurance.

And fun as all hell.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
Joe Dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
I could actually get by without tagging it here in NC. The Super9 is too fast to skirt the <30mph law, yet noone's gonna quibble about a <40mph Ruckus. No tags means free parking downtown in the garages and in the spaces adjacent to the parking meters.
I'm skirting the North Carolina scooter laws with my Zuma. There's no doubt that the spirit of the law includes all scoots but the letter of the law leaves alot of loopholes. My intention was to uphold the letter of the law but the loopholes grew appealing quite quickly for the reasons you mentioned above. I'm also quite partial to parking at the end of the bicycle rack at the mall which makes a handy place to lock up.

I haven't seen any scooter enforcement in North Carolina. Adding a tag, in my mind, makes all the difference. Until I'm challenged on that issue I'll continue my stealthy urban assault sans tag. ;)
Old 12-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #12
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dirt
I'm skirting the North Carolina scooter laws with my Zuma. There's no doubt that the spirit of the law includes all scoots but the letter of the law leaves alot of loopholes. My intention was to uphold the letter of the law but the loopholes grew appealing quite quickly for the reasons you mentioned above. I'm also quite partial to parking at the end of the bicycle rack at the mall which makes a handy place to lock up.

I haven't seen any scooter enforcement in North Carolina. Adding a tag, in my mind, makes all the difference. Until I'm challenged on that issue I'll continue my stealthy urban assault sans tag. ;)
Yup. Never even THOUGHT of tagging the Zip, for all the same reasons. Being able to hit 43, downhill, with a tailwind, just didn't feel like I was being a scofflaw.

The Super9 does 50 right outta the box so that's a bit too obvious. And it passes cars. I figure I'll get busted on that one so probably this spring I"ll tag it, and bump it to 70cc's while I'm at it.

But that's the cool part about the 50's here in NC--cheap transportation and fun at the same time.

From what I can tell--I live near the NCSU campus where there are a few student commuters--as long as you're properly helmeted and not riding like an idiot, the local LEO's don't care. I'm sure they could crack down at any time, but probably as long as we don't have a sudden increase in the number of 13 year olds on Christmas scoots with race pipes tearing about in the suburbs, I don't think we'll see a crackdown here.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
You won't like this!

Get a Silverwing or Burgman and travel anyplace you want to go. I have determined that 600cc's is the best all around bike or scooter you can get. You can tour the country or the city, and blow off most Harleys. For going to the office down the street keep what you got, or get a Helix or Reflex(250cc). There are now some medium scooters between 200 and 600cc's which might work out for you also. Traffic is just to fast these days for small scooters, unless you live in an old city with tight narrow streets. The BIG RUCKUS might be good for you, but, doesn't have any weather protection. OH! you live in CA where the weather is allways perfect.
S/W
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote