Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,799
I just checked, and the download version is available. However, there is a large warning basically saying the game doesn't work, and as of right now there are 1,052 reviews, and only 24 are 5 star, 14 are 4 stars, 17 are 3 stars, 55 are 2 stars. The other 942 are 1 star reviews.

People are very upset with EA over this, rightfully so.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,930
I'm gonna wait on you all to give the green light. If they get their shit together it'll be the first video game I buy in 20 years.
adam_c_eckhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

I was able to get on and play last night, although the entire time I kept getting a pop-up saying the SimCity Server is unavailable at this time. Then another popup saying I was connected. I have no idea if the city I started got saved. I guess I will have to wait until tonight to see. I think Europe goes live today... I hope the server issues are in better shape over there, or else the entire network will crash, again.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #19
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
So can you do your own thing or are you forced to deal with other strangers?
Cities no longer have their own map - instead there are city 'sites' on a region map. You can play all the sites yourself, invite friends to your region, out make it public. So we could create youfuckingfuckistan on a large region map and each create a city to share resources, labor, and trade between.

Or not.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,154
Can we merge World of Tanks with SimCity and create new battlefields or roll in and blow other folks' towns up?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Can we merge World of Tanks with SimCity and create new battlefields or roll in and blow other folks' towns up?
HAHA!

Although, I was finally able to play last night for an hour or so, and just when my city is starting to build up, a meteor shower comes out of no where Thanks EA, this week has been great.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
In.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #23
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
in.
+1

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #24
Squelch
Everyday People

Oddometer: 1,103
I'm not sure if anyone here knows, but I have a question about the servers. From what I understand, you're tied to a specific server once you've started a city. Also, the servers are regional. So if I start a city in the US, and travel to Asia, will I be unable to get to my original city?
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

That is my understanding. Maybe once all the server issues are worked out, and the initial release demand has faded the servers will start sharing info, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Either way, I sure wish they would turn off this stupid server based DRM and let me save a game to MY computer.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
That is my understanding. Maybe once all the server issues are worked out, and the initial release demand has faded the servers will start sharing info, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Either way, I sure wish they would turn off this stupid server based DRM and let me save a game to MY computer.
From the sounds of it the game is only multiplayer so it's beyond DRM issues. I'm guessing you could create your own city or cities in a region but a big part is trade/commerce between them.

So to keep the game with all the features intact they'll need to make AI for the surrounding cities. Not an impossible task by any means but if they're doing it from scratch it might be a few months until it's ready to be released.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,699
I lost a few hours to it this morning.

They have doubled the server quantity. Four per 'region' now - North America West, North America East, Europe East, Europe West, and Oceanic.

I have a city in NA West 1 and NA West 2. I can never remember which one to log into. You can play in up to ten regions per server.

30k people in one city, a university, upgrade sewage, coal mine, oil rig, trade center, rail center, bus depot. There are still a shitload of upgrades to spend money on.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
Squelch
Everyday People

So I downloaded it yesterday and played some this morning. I got through the tutorial and started a new city. I made it public, built a few zones and then shut it off. When I turn it back on will I have all sorts of new neighbors? That will be weird.

I have to say, it's quite pretty. I'm glad I upgraded to that GTX 660 - it makes a difference!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #29
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Some good news for ya Grainbelt:

Quote:
"To get us back in your good graces, we're going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio," said Bradshaw. "On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an e-mail telling them how to redeem their free game."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...mcity-players/

Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #30
Squelch
Everyday People

I think they're going to offer SimCity 4 as the free game...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: