User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #46
JacqueTanis
Sassy

Oddometer: 11
OMG You're missing ...

You're missing the area around Cloudcroft, NM - great riding, on the dirt and off! We'll miss you!
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #47
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqueTanis View Post
You're missing the area around Cloudcroft, NM - great riding, on the dirt and off! We'll miss you!
I would really like to get south, check out White Sands and Alamagordo, watch the UFOs over Roswell, and maybe even check out Carlsbad Caverns... I just don't think I'll have the time.

I will have to ride through on another trip.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #48
BUZZARD II
Old Geezer

Oddometer: 474
Look on a Utah map between 12 & 13 and find Goblin Valley state park. Very weird. It's just a few miles west from 24 north of Hanksville.
BUZZARD II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #49
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZARD II View Post
Look on a Utah map between 12 & 13 and find Goblin Valley state park. Very weird. It's just a few miles west from 24 north of Hanksville.

If you're talking about this... very cool!!! I will put this on my list of things to see. I believe I'll be riding past it, so it should be a quick detour.

Thanks!!!

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #50
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

My plan is to ride the Southwest (Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon) in late May (19th - 25th).

Has the big wave of tourists hit by then? I know the south rim of the Grand Canyon will be busy, but what about the other parks?

Also, I ride until I want to stop, then start looking for a hotel, so what are my chances of finding most hotels with an empty room?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. (I won't be camping on this particular trip, so it's hotels at night.)

Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #51
cb1313
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Mountain Home

I feel your pain, I live here too. Cb
cb1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #52
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I think all the southwestern national parks are already plenty busy by May. I visit them in April-May because it's too hot after that. I've been at the NPs on a cold blustery April weekend with snow flurries blowing around, and had busloads of pushy French or Japanese tourists mow me over. But it stands to reason that they get worse after the kids are out of school. So I guess you could say, no matter how bad it is, it could be worse.

As a general rule, I don't make reservations in advance when I'm on a trip. And I always find a place to stay. But around the NPs it might be different because of the crowds. You can always find a bed if you head down the road a little ways. Anywhere near a NP, I wouldn't wait until almost dark to start looking. Whenever I plan on staying in Moab I get a reservation just to be safe. That's partly because Moab is kinda spendy and the cheap little mom-n-pop joint I like only has 8 rooms. I think you would probably be safe if you don't care how much it costs.

Remember that 99% of the visitors in southern UT are going to the NPs. I like to say we keep the parks around just to keep the tourists out of our way. LOL. The beauty of southern UT doesn't end at the park boundary. In between the parks you'll find gorgeous country and little towns with peace and quiet and plenty of room. Places like Kanab. Escalante. Mexican Hat.

One other thing. I don't want to be preachy. But don't let the long ride from AR to the west get you down. A lot of people think that the best way to cross the plains is to get on the interstate and put there head down and grit their teeth until they get past it. If you slow down and take the little roads you might actually enjoy it.

-al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #53
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I think all the southwestern national parks are already plenty busy by May. I visit them in April-May because it's too hot after that. I've been at the NPs on a cold blustery April weekend with snow flurries blowing around, and had busloads of pushy French or Japanese tourists mow me over. But it stands to reason that they get worse after the kids are out of school. So I guess you could say, no matter how bad it is, it could be worse.

As a general rule, I don't make reservations in advance when I'm on a trip. And I always find a place to stay. But around the NPs it might be different because of the crowds. You can always find a bed if you head down the road a little ways. Anywhere near a NP, I wouldn't wait until almost dark to start looking. Whenever I plan on staying in Moab I get a reservation just to be safe. That's partly because Moab is kinda spendy and the cheap little mom-n-pop joint I like only has 8 rooms. I think you would probably be safe if you don't care how much it costs.

Remember that 99% of the visitors in southern UT are going to the NPs. I like to say we keep the parks around just to keep the tourists out of our way. LOL. The beauty of southern UT doesn't end at the park boundary. In between the parks you'll find gorgeous country and little towns with peace and quiet and plenty of room. Places like Kanab. Escalante. Mexican Hat.

One other thing. I don't want to be preachy. But don't let the long ride from AR to the west get you down. A lot of people think that the best way to cross the plains is to get on the interstate and put there head down and grit their teeth until they get past it. If you slow down and take the little roads you might actually enjoy it.

-al
Great advice!!! I'm trying to hit certain parks either during the week (when, presumably, there will be a few less tourists) or hitting the north rim of the Grand Canyon, for example, which I know has much less tourist traffic. I might swing through the south rim, but it'll be for photos only. I hate to say it, but I probably won't spend much time on the south rim despite it's great views.

I usually book a hotel one day in advance. When I wake up, I see where I want to end up, then book a hotel in the a.m., ride all day, check in when I get there. That way I have some flexibility. But I might change that on this trip, especially around Moab and also the Grand Canyon.

I don't usually mind the trip out.... I'm decompressing from work, enjoying the extended hours on the bike, seeing new sights, and generally in a great mood because I'M ON VACATION!!!

It's the ride BACK that drives me insane. I'm usually doing 1,000 miles the last two days, so I'm not stopping often, I'm sore, my butt hurts, my legs are cramping, there's nothing to see.... yada-yada-yada.

But my worst day on a bike is still better than my best day at work. I try to remember that every mile.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #54
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
I feel your pain, I live here too. Cb
What do you ride?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #55
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
At the GC north rim, be sure and ride out to cape royale.

If you want a relatively inexpensive room in Moab, look up the Kokopelli Lodge. It's right in the middle of town but a block off Main Street so it's quiet. Its funky but not trashy. Around $75.

On hwy 12 between Escalante and Boulder, about a mile west of where the road crosses the Escalante river, is the Kiva Koffeehouse. Its out in the middle of nowhere overlooking the river canyon. Be sure and stop for a meal or even just a coffee break. They have two cottages for rent too. The most gorgeous and peaceful dining experience in Utah!

http://www.kivakoffeehouse.com/
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #56
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
At the GC north rim, be sure and ride out to cape royale.

If you want a relatively inexpensive room in Moab, look up the Kokopelli Lodge. It's right in the middle of town but a block off Main Street so it's quiet. Its funky but not trashy. Around $75.

On hwy 12 between Escalante and Boulder, about a mile west of where the road crosses the Escalante river, is the Kiva Koffeehouse. Its out in the middle of nowhere overlooking the river canyon. Be sure and stop for a meal or even just a coffee break. They have two cottages for rent too. The most gorgeous and peaceful dining experience in Utah!

http://www.kivakoffeehouse.com/
Brilliant!!! This was just the sort of advice I was looking for.

I'm probably stopping in Moab for a night, so I'll check out the Kokopelli Lodge.

I'll probably be riding through Escalante and Boulder, but I can always use an excuse to stop and stretch my legs and have a cup of coffee.

Thanks, ALinUTAH.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #57
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

In Zion National Park, has anyone hiked out to Angels Landing? How difficult is that last half-mile? And is it worth the hike for the view?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #58
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Ten days is not enough to do justice to what you are attempting. All you are going to do is ride so it really doesn't matter which way you go. Most of that stuff has been out there for thousands of years and probably isn't going anywhere. Pick about two or three things you really want to see. Example : Mesa Verde; you need at least two days. Otherwise all you'll do is drive through it. If you don't take time to do a couple of hikes there, you've wasted a good trip. That's like doing Europe in ten days just so you can say you went to Europe.

acejones screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 08:14 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #59
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Ten days is not enough to do justice to what you are attempting. All you are going to do is ride so it really doesn't matter which way you go. Most of that stuff has been out there for thousands of years and probably isn't going anywhere. Pick about two or three things you really want to see. Example : Mesa Verde; you need at least two days. Otherwise all you'll do is drive through it. If you don't take time to do a couple of hikes there, you've wasted a good trip. That's like doing Europe in ten days just so you can say you went to Europe.
I know I'm rushing it. I'm looking at this trip as a reconnaissance mission. Trying to see everything, with the idea that I'll plan a later trip out to see just those sights which interest me.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #60
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

I'm leaving in 10 days.

I've also managed to squeeze another day into my itinerary, so I'll have 11 days on the road to see everything. Not enough time, I know... but I'm going to try.

Anyone have any idea if 148 will be open through Cedar Breaks by May 22-23?

Also, how are the high passes on Colorado 550?

Any road condition reports would be appreciated.